Author Topic: NeoFlash NDS Coding Competition!  (Read 40623 times)

Offline 00gly

NeoFlash NDS Coding Competition!
« on: May 03, 2005, 02:49:42 PM »
Alright, so as anyone who idles on the forum or in the channel can tell, things are starting to get out of hand with the free NeoFlash offers.

No disrespect to those applying, but a lot of the time a site is a quick hack job, or a DS section with just links (if anything) added. Of course, a handful of the time someones inspired to do some work on a small game or app.

So, to throw things in a different direction, the simple handouts will be ending.. but fear not. There are plenty of prizes to be given away in the first DS-Only coding competition, offered by NeoFlash.

The rules are fairly straight forward, but bound to change.

There will be 2 categories for entries. The first is for homebrew games, the second, for apps. Apps include loaders, emulators, calculatrice, audio players, and whatever else you can think up.

The game division will have ten prizes total. The first 5 coders will get a NeoFlash 1Gb. Second 5 get a 512Mb unit.

edit: Just recieved an offer of 3 PSPs. The top ranking game will have a PSP prize, as will the first and second place application.

The app division only has 5 places, as we're looking for quality apps that might take a bit longer to code than the average small game. The prizes will be 1Gb units.

We are looking for *complete* programs. It's always nice to see a work in progress, but please don't submit anything until it's final. One entry per author please. Also, don't post your work publically. An email address will be given closer to the dead-line for submission. A NeoFlash banner is required before the main program starts. A simple 'touch to continue' is fine ;)

If its obvious that a lot of effort was put into your project, you won't go away empty handed. It seems no one is selling passmes anymore, so a developer can't get far without one.. or in this case, a free magic key!

So please, get on it! You've got through June 15th to complete your program. It should also be mentioned that anyone who has already recieved a free neoflash can still enter, but isn't allowed to recieve another free unit :)

The rules are likely to change at any given moment. Refresh like a madman!

(Free kits are still available to anyone with a very popular game site. No, that doesn't mean among your classmates. Think emuholic, etc ;)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2005, 12:57:55 AM by 00gly »

Offline darkfader

• Neo-Newbie
Re: NeoFlash NDS Coding Competition!
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 03:44:13 PM »
Why are the games so underrated? This way nobody will even try to make one. Try considering PSP prizes for game entries too. But judge on originality / quantity of work (game ports).
[ imagine I inserted all those funny emoticons here ]

Offline 00gly

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 03:46:47 PM »
"But judge on originality / quantity of work (game ports). "

Of course.

"Why are the games so underrated? This way nobody will even try to make one. Try considering PSP prizes for game entries too."

Well, originally the apps just had less prizes, so this was used to fill that in, but sure. It's likely to change. However, NeoFlash was much more interested in apps than games (for some reason). So we'll have to wait and see...

Offline Locke

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005, 04:50:04 PM »
Does it mean that i'm not getting my unit because of the missing telephone number problem? I don't think thats fair...
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 05:46:45 PM by Locke »

Offline elifecyber

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005, 05:10:37 PM »
email your number or something to him, anyhows i'm willing to give it a shot. I'll see if I can make something outta thisĀ  :D dang a psp as a prize... don't think i'll make a chance for that one  :'(

Offline Dr.neo

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2005, 07:40:44 PM »
yes,DF is right,we should change a little with the prize for games :)
In my world,have 0 and 1 only ......Matrix World......

Offline 00gly

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2005, 12:57:00 AM »
Does it mean that i'm not getting my unit because of the missing telephone number problem? I don't think thats fair...

Anyone who has already been accepted for a free unit (regardless of whatever problems) isn't being disregarded. It just means that there won't be more admissions, and people no longer need to post their incomplete demos, etc.

And it's been updated. Still only 5 winners for apps, 10 for games. But the first place game has the PSP prize as well now. So.. first place game, first and second place app.

Offline Darren

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2005, 01:32:08 AM »
So, Say I want to enter, do I have to sign up anywhere?

Offline Locke

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2005, 01:59:35 AM »

Anyone who has already been accepted for a free unit (regardless of whatever problems) isn't being disregarded. It just means that there won't be more admissions, and people no longer need to post their incomplete demos, etc.

And it's been updated. Still only 5 winners for apps, 10 for games. But the first place game has the PSP prize as well now. So.. first place game, first and second place app.

Ok, thanks. I just was a little worried because I didn't receive a confirmation to my email with the missing data.

Can coders with a free 512 unit win 1Gb or a PSP?

Offline kiwibonga

• Iamsowonderful
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2005, 02:40:22 AM »
Can the competition entry be in the form of a PC tool for DS development? ;D

Offline yakumo

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2005, 02:14:39 PM »
Mmm, I want to make games for NDS, but also I am making apps for PC oriented to NDS programming. Could they have a special prize or something?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2005, 02:30:43 PM by yakumo »

Offline Dr.neo

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2005, 03:49:01 PM »
Mmm, I want to make games for NDS, but also I am making apps for PC oriented to NDS programming. Could they have a special prize or something?

you can entering both.
In my world,have 0 and 1 only ......Matrix World......

Offline alekmaul

• portabledev.com Webmaster
    • PortableDev
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2005, 06:17:20 PM »
Ok, lots of questions about this fantastic competition :

1) how do you want that we submit applications / game (url of submission, this topic, mail ???)

2) what do you want exactly : binary, source, both ???

3) what sorts of manual, explaination do you want with our submission (readme file with infos about us, and so on ...)

well, also, I have and idea about an app, so please, answer, I am on the contest !

regards

Offline cory1492

• Neo MOD
    • Cory1492's NDS + PSP corner
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2005, 06:33:03 PM »
No disrespect to those applying, but a lot of the time a site is a quick hack job, or a DS section with just links (if anything) added.
You mean kind of like neoflash's site when it launched? And everyone just wanted to know if April Fools was moved to the middle of the month? Of course, now you are to be taken seriously, eh? ROFLMAO

Sorry, just had to say it, because you know as well as I do that the product comes before the site, regardless of what others may think of the "in the mean time" hack.

Thanks for the origional giveaway, though. I apreciate seeing that DarkFader and the others to origionally created the passme stuff are at least getting some reward for being comitted. FREE is sure one heck of a way to hype a product, too.

Just an idea for an awesome submission (I dont have time with current work on if2a -no not an official member of if2a devs- and my own little app)
N64 emulator! lol
« Last Edit: May 04, 2005, 06:36:46 PM by cory1492 »
Those who have come here to hate should leave now, for in their hatred they only betray themselves.
translated from The Book of Life (Src: Sword of Truth - Phantom by Terry Goodkind)

Offline Ethos

• Ethos' Space
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2005, 08:50:07 PM »
Hmmm....decisions decisions....two coding competitions, both needing seperate entries (GBAx.com)

I think applications #1 place is wrapped up if Firefly decides to enter...what could beat a version of WiFiMe?