Author Topic: NDS Game - Super Snake DS  (Read 12235 times)

Offline chatterbug89

NDS Game - Super Snake DS
« on: August 13, 2006, 06:54:29 AM »

Super Snake DS
It's snake like you've never seen it before! Play though 60 sublevels that utilize both of the Nintendo DS's screens to rack up your points and gain a new high score while avoiding stationary and moving obstacles, using special power-ups, and keeping up your speed to gain time bonus points! Not only that, but when your not playing as a snake, you'll be trying to gain bonus points in one of the five different addictive mini games.
The fun doesn't end there however! Relive your days of playing classic snake, in Classic mode! Select one of three difficulty modes, and compete with your friends for places on the high score list!

Feature Overview
  • 11 Different Levels in Adventure Mode
  • 60 sublevels (5 sublevels per level, plus 5 extra sublevels for the final level)
  • Original graphics (with the exception of a couple modified screenshots)
  • Stationary and Moving Obstacles
  • Classic Mode
  • 5 Addictive Mini Games
  • 3 Special power Ups (God Mode, Slow Mode, and Speed Mode)
  • Top 10 High Score List for Adventure and Classic Mode
  • Auto-Saving after all levels and sublevels.
  • Hours of Gameplay in Adventure Mode
  • Excellent Replay Value!
  • Features new music every level by Delorean and Heartbeat (Music under Creative Commons License)

Screenshots
"Seeing is Believing"

How to Play
Super snake DS has the same general game play as your traditional snake game. The object of the game is to eat as many good things as possible without crashing into an obstacle, yourself, or the wall. Each time you eat a good thing, you will become longer. In adventure mode, at the beginning of every level, there will be a level objectives screen which tells you how many good things you need to get to pass a sublevel, what is bad and good, and some random nonsense. Many times, this information will not be said directly, but sort of in a riddle. It's up to you to figure out what it all means. If you have not gotten the proper amount of good things before dieing, you will lose a life and or get a game over screen. Otherwise, when you die, you will see the sublevel clear screen and will advance to the next sublevel. Each sublevel usually is a little more difficult than the one before it. After each level, you will get to play a mini game (the last level is a tad different) and will then be presented with a level clear details screen.
Pretty much everything else is self-explainable. Pressing A is always used when advancing menus and what not. During game play, if you press start or select, the game will be paused. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

The Score Bar
At the top of your top screen lies the score bar which should look something like this…
502 T:3:32 L:5.2 S:3
The first number is your score. The second number, which begins with a T, is the time in minutes and seconds that you have been playing the current level. The third number with an L is your level and sublevel (ex. Level.Sublevel). Finally, the S stands for Snakes, and is the amount of lives you have left.

Super Snake DS Tips & Misc. Info
  • Don't just get the required amount of good stuff and die. Keep going to rack up your score!
  • When in God mode, you can go though yourself and obstacles without dieing, but you can't crash into the wall!
  • Slow mode and God Mode are your friends. But keep in mind that Slow Mode lasts for 10 seconds, and God Mode only 5 seconds.
  • Speed Mode is deadly on higher speed levels. But, all special modes give you extra points. To take a risk, or not to take a risk?
  • Very VERY rarely, a special item will turn out to not be a special item at all, or will be something different than what it appeared to be. Always be prepared to get speed mode when you thought you were getting slow mode.
  • Keep in mind, that if you choose to continue a game, instead of restarting a game, when you die, that you will lose half of your score.
  • Time bonus is determined by how fast you get one good thing after another. It makes no difference if you got 2 good things or 10 good things and it took you 3 seconds in-between getting them. Each time you die and use a life, your time bonus will be negatively affected.
  • When starting a game, if you disable auto-save, your game will not be saved no matter what.
  • Know your boundaries! In the higher levels, there isn't always a divider in-between the score bar and level info. So be careful not to die by crashing into the score bar!
  • In classic Mode, there are NO boundaries, except for the very edge of the screen.
  • The opening screens can be bypassed by pressing the A button…but…please watch them at least once. It only last for like 8 seconds. :-P
  • If the game saved successfully, you should see "Game Saved" at the bottom of the bottom screen at the end of a sublevel or on the level clear details screen. The exception is if there is a black background…
  • Finally…Have fun :-)

Known Bugs/Issues
There are currently no known bugs or issues. If you find something, please contact me. I have only tested the game on the GBAMP, but it should work fine on other devices. High Scores and Saving should work with all devices compatible with Chishm's FAT Lib. NOT A REAL BUG: Finally, for the final level, there is a way to re-change the random background in-between sublevels.

Other Stuff
Well, I hope everyone really enjoys my game.  I spent all Summer on it, so it's nice to finally release it in its full.  The offical page for Super Snake DS is at http://www.cybernetresources.com/content/super_snake_ds.html ...but please download from here instead of from my site :-P

EDIT: Umm, there shouldne't be a problem, but if there are problems having the files being created on your DS for the High Scores and Save Game features.  Create two blank files (snakehighscores and snakesave).  It works fine on the GBAMP..but...i'm not completely sure about the other devices out there.

EDIT2:  I have reuploaded some changed files that should fix problems people were having witht he SD devices (such as the Supercard SD) and the MK SD should also work great now. :)

EDIT3:  It now uses the same modified fat lib as DoomDS....this should fix some other issues people were having.  This shoudl be the last updat eyou'll see until lI get..so...its what will be for the contest :)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 11:19:30 AM by chatterbug89 »

Offline chatterbug89

Re: NDS Game - Super Snake DS
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 07:03:17 AM »
Umm, for those of you who have Super Cards, here is the Super Card.  However, please note that the supercard binary has not been tested at all.

Also, I will be leaving for Costa Rica for my Half Sister's Wedding Tuesday.  So, I'll be gone untill the 21st (i think). :-)  If you find some major bug (though, i've extensivly tested it..you shoudlen't find anything)...try to contact me before Tuesday.

EDIT: The super card version (along with the other two versiosn above this post) have been updated with a version of the FAT library that should work with the Super card SD and not just the compact flash one.  Enjoy :)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 11:22:59 AM by chatterbug89 »

Offline d-loader

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 05:18:42 PM »
It works for the supercard, however, there a a few bugs ( probably goes for the supercard only? )

Gameover - The Game halts

Main menu - If you toggle through the gamemodes, it will halt when you try to reach "credits"

Nice game anyway, I -love- the music  ::sm-18.gif::

Offline chatterbug89

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 05:26:56 PM »
Hmm..I think I know what's going on witht he super card.  From the sounds of it, there are issues when it tries to access the digital media for saving/high scores.  I'm guessing that when you try to get to credits, the high scores screen on the top screen is blank with no numbers and that when you get a game over, you see a blank box and the game just stops from there?  If so, I can wip up a special version that disables all save functions. :)

By the way, there are problems with some events concerning saving with Dualis (the emulator).  Thanks for your input though d-loader.  I'll make the SuperCard Version so that all save functions are disabled.  Then everythign will be fine. :)  It'll probally be up by tommrow afternoon (i'm tempted to try to acomplish multiplayer in the two days i have before i leave..i don't think i'm going to try it..i could just end up creating bugs :S).

I really hope there are no problems witht he neo devices though.  That's my biggest concern :S

EDIT5:  I did some searches about you D-Loader..it seems like you ordered the SuperCard SD...that explains why it doesn't work :)  When I update the files tommrow, i'll have a way to disable all saving features, so you'll have no problems with it freezing.  All compact Flash devices should be fine, it's just peopel with SD devices that will need to disable saving/high scores.

EDIT: D-Loader: Does saving of games work?  When you enable auto-save, you get the Game Saved message the end of levels and sublevels?  And ar eyou able to continue saved games?  If so..i wont disable those features.  You know though..it is a tad weird..there technically should be no problems, since Chishm's FAT lib is suspose to support it.

EDIT2:  D-Loader: are you by any chance using Super Card SD?  Because chisms fat lib does not support writing to super card  SD, only super card Compact Flash.  If so...I'll just make some speical versions for non-supported devices.

EDIT3: Also, I did check and I am using the latest version of the FAT lib..so..that shoudlen't be the problem..I hope.

EDIT4:  Actually...what i'll end up doing is, if you press Select or somethign at start up, a message will pop up asking you if you want to disable all saving and high score features.  That'll solve the problem easily withotu a bazillion files :)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2006, 05:49:23 PM by chatterbug89 »

Offline freemaan

• My alternate nicks: david_o, freemaan
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 06:09:25 PM »
chatterbug89: http://www.pat.hi-ho.ne.jp/~sata68/nds/rein16.lzh
Use the FAT lib from this archive.
It works perfectly with Supercard SD :) (also supports writing)
(add source/fat to SOURCES in makefile and include fat/gba_nds_fat.h)
You can find me at EFNet #dsdev (davido2)
Go to my homepage

Offline chatterbug89

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2006, 06:30:57 PM »
chatterbug89: http://www.pat.hi-ho.ne.jp/~sata68/nds/rein16.lzh
Use the FAT lib from this archive.
It works perfectly with Supercard SD :) (also supports writing)
(add source/fat to SOURCES in makefile and include fat/gba_nds_fat.h)

Thanks.  I never knew about that ^^  I'll give it a try tommrow and hopefully everything will go smoothly.  Have to get to bed now...Keep wakeing up...can't sleep :S

Offline chatterbug89

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 04:31:23 AM »
Well, I reuploaded the new versions of the binaries.  They now use the modified FAT driver by rein.  I've tested it again to be sure everythign was working fine with the GBA MP and it is...i'm not sure about other devices still, but it should work on all the major devices now (the MK CF and SD versions, GBAMP, Supercard CF and SD versions, etc.).  It should also work just fine on devices that dont' have FAT support (you may experience a 3 secound delay at game over screens and if you try to view the high scores list..but, it should never crash or anything).  if you'd like to play the game in an emulator, please disable GBAMP emulation if you are using dualis, as the emulator will crash at certain points when it tries to write.

Anyways, have fun :)  Also, thanks D-Loader for bringing up the compatability issue with SD devices and to freemaan for pointing me in the right direction. :)

Offline chatterbug89

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2006, 11:24:42 AM »
Sorry for all the updates :( 

Anyways, I changed the FAT Lib i'm using to the same modified FAT lib that DSDoom is using.  Everythign should be fine for everyone now (finally). :)

Also...i'm sorry, but sometimes things are a tad slow when saving on the MK3 SD....your game has not crashed...just give it a secound.  I don't know the speed of thigns on other devices other than that the GBA MP works great.

Offline Diffuse

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2006, 06:10:55 AM »
This post was removed by a moderator.

Oh please liranuna, stop acting like a kid with all of these posts. You do realise that not everyone is a master coder and that not everyone is capable of using libnds do you? Many who makes projects using PALib spend alot more time then those who use libnds, believe it or not.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 01:43:56 AM by cory1492 »

Offline rogerpoco

• Neo MOD
  • http://www.myspace.com/poco48
    • My,ummmm Space
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2006, 11:59:42 PM »
This seems very complete.
Looks like you paid a lot of attention to detail.
Not my favorite type of game(my wife and kids love it,though),but certainly a quality entry.

Offline chatterbug89

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2006, 03:23:35 AM »
This post was removed by a moderator.

Oh please liranuna, stop acting like a kid with all of these posts. You do realise that not everyone is a master coder and that not everyone is capable of using libnds do you? Many who makes projects using PALib spend alot more time then those who use libnds, believe it or not.

Not excactly sure what was originally said...but...I realy am sort of agaist PALib after using it so extensivly...it's too high level and causes more trouble than its worth and I probally wont be using it again.  Either way, I dont' think people should be shunning other people who use PALib.  Anyways...keep any arguments with this to that other PALib thread here..not my thread ^^

Anyways, thanks a lot everyoen for the comments and help with fixing the saving stuff.  Also, thanks to everyoen on some of the other forums and news sites which said they liked my game if your reading this.  I appreciate it :)