Author Topic: [NDS Game] Hawaiian Islands [Puzzle]  (Read 14239 times)

Offline Vinnepin

[NDS Game] Hawaiian Islands [Puzzle]
« on: August 16, 2006, 06:51:24 AM »
Hey guys,

This is my Game: "Hawaiian Islands".

This is a puzzle game. The game can have up to 112 stones on the play table, where each stone must have a pair, so there are 66 possible matches that can be made.
The goal is to remove each stone from the game table, u must first select 1 stone and then another one of the same kind. The catch behind this puzzle is that when u have clicked on 2 of the same stones, that in the background there are going to be drawn Lines (Up, down, left, and right) from the first selected stone. But this Line can only make MAX 2 corners! So u must visuallize those first and then click on the stones.

Screenshots:

Download link in the attachment.

Playable: Stage 1 level 1 to 10. Boss stage inside level 10.
Stage 2 level 1 is the same as stage 1, but do not go further because there are no levels yet after that one!!

Enjoy it!

P.S.: If u encounter a bug, pls post it so i can remove it :)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 12:38:52 AM by Vinnepin »

Offline retrohead

• DS-Scene
Re: [NDS Game] Hawaiian Islands [Puzzle]
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 07:09:00 AM »
I don't quite get the logic behind the way that the lines are drawn, could you explain better for me please?  ::sm-02::

Excellent presentation though!

Offline Vinnepin

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 07:46:00 AM »
Sure :P

Lets say we have 4 stones:
[1]-|  [2]
      |
[2] |--[1]   (****py lines i know)

When u click on both the stone with a '1' a line will be drawn in the background. As u can see above. This line can only make MAX 2 corners.
Lets say we have again 4 stones:

|----------------|
[1]---*[2]     [1]
          [2]

Now when we click again on both the '1' stones. Again a line will be draw, the logic behind this first goes up, then down, then left, then right. (if he has no succes). Now in this picture if we go straight to the right we will encounter a stone witch is not the stone we need, so we cant go that way because else we gonna make more then 2 corners.

Now a deadlock situation:

[1][2]
[2][1]

Whatever u try u cant remove these stones, because u always make more then 2 corners.

And last 2 stones of the same that lies against each other can be removed instantly, because u make 0 corners then and there are no stone in between.

Hope this make sense to u now :)

*Lol it was centered :P

Offline retrohead

• DS-Scene
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 07:51:38 AM »
That makes a bit more sense thanks. Maybe you could make a nice instruction manual to go with that box art :)

Im going to have another go of your game now i know what could be bugs and not me just not knowing how to play it heh heh

Offline QuickJump

• Quick Journal / Quick Jump
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 09:54:09 AM »
That makes a bit more sense thanks. Maybe you could make a nice instruction manual to go with that box art :)

Im going to have another go of your game now i know what could be bugs and not me just not knowing how to play it heh heh

It's pretty easy once you get the hang of it :) However, it just froze on my G6L when I beat the first level (cleared all the tiles). I'm going to give another wack at it.

Is there supposed to be no sound? Sound would make the presentation 100% :p This game gets my vote so far  ::sm-24.gif::
QJ Network (QJ.net) - All homebrew releases + gaming industry news - Updated 24/7!

Offline Vinnepin

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 03:24:51 PM »
There is no sounds just yet, i wanted to develop the logics first. I'll add sounds and music today :). As wel as a next level, so your game doesn't freeze (There is not a checker yet if you cleared the lvl).
There will be a new version later this day :)

This is my first time programming a game and developing in c++, so i hope to get everything in it :)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 03:27:05 PM by Vinnepin »

Offline djceejay

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2006, 08:14:20 PM »
Lovely graphics. Looks good for your first C++ development - I look forward to your next games.

Offline spinal

• Coder of DSision
  • Neo MOD
    • spinalcode
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2006, 11:24:08 PM »
Good game, I noticed some lines now and then, that perhaps should not have been there? as if the un-connecred paths were not erased?

Can't wait to get pas the first level!

Kepp up the good work.

Offline Vinnepin

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2006, 11:27:41 PM »
Yeah now he just draws every he line tries, i need to make a stack for it and then at the end draw the line.

I updated the Game attachment, it contains a new level and for now he just switches between those 2 levels until i got more. But level 2 is maybe to hard for the beginning lol.

Damn i need to go to work, grrr. I'll fix more when i get back :D

Offline Vinnepin

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2006, 06:49:16 AM »
I created a small application for Windows so that the level design would be much easier and faster. I displays a grid with all possible positions for the stones. In the combobox topleft, u can choose the desired stone u like and click on a section on the grid. Then when u are finished, click on generate and it generates the code i can use for the levels. Same goes for import, copy paste the generated code from the past, and click on import.

* U will need Framework 2.0 from Microsoft for it to work

I also edited some small stuff, but critical stuff in the game itself. It has player support, not yet editable. And a game timer, but this only works on the DS itself, or else the time will be frozen. Also depending on the time elapsed the score is updated when u remove a tile, so playing on a emulator is cheating :P.

Offline wraggster

• DCEmu Homebrew Network
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2006, 07:22:48 AM »
great looking game, i noticed DS Fanboy even posted it on their site, sadly they didnt link to this thread which means you dont get the credit as you should.

Webmaster of DCEmu

The Worlds Only Homebrew and Gaming Network Covering All Consoles.

Offline QuickJump

• Quick Journal / Quick Jump
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2006, 07:58:55 AM »
great looking game, i noticed DS Fanboy even posted it on their site, sadly they didnt link to this thread which means you dont get the credit as you should.

Heck, even I'm suprised where DSFanboy linked to :o

Great work, this is one of my favorite games for the NDS, glad to see it getting constantly improved by a dedicated author!

- FrozenIpaq
QJ Network (QJ.net) - All homebrew releases + gaming industry news - Updated 24/7!

Offline Vinnepin

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2006, 02:11:27 PM »
Omg, i didn't even know that they posted that on their website  ::sm-03::

Its funny to see how the ball rolls, i first just made this made for myself because i enjoy playing it and now it is posted on a website.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 03:01:12 PM by Vinnepin »

Offline Vinnepin

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2006, 02:30:15 AM »
New update for today:
- Player statistics
- Timer (only on DS)
- A few sound effects
- Save option (Only on DS) (Only S-RAM)
- 5 Levels total
- Restart a game
- Dialogs for save, restart and death
- It only draws the line that has succes
- Fixed some bugs

Things to espect for tommorow:
- Multiple stages (About 5-10 levels each stage)
- More sound effects
- Highscores
- Maybe some music....
Thats about it i think, and then i have a full featured game :)

Check the attachment in the first post for the updated version :D
« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 02:32:20 AM by Vinnepin »

Offline wraggster

• DCEmu Homebrew Network
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2006, 09:04:39 AM »
thanks for the update

Webmaster of DCEmu

The Worlds Only Homebrew and Gaming Network Covering All Consoles.