Author Topic: [NDS Game] MineSweeperDS  (Read 11481 times)

Offline The_Legend

[NDS Game] MineSweeperDS
« on: August 18, 2006, 12:37:02 AM »
Hello there!

Here's my entry for the NDS Game Compo. It's a DS version of the Mine Sweeper Game for Windows, but with some improvements. The layout looks very much like the Windows version, but for what you can see from the screenshot, it's background color is custumizable. As a default, it will be the user's prefered color, set on the DS's main screen.

That's not the only thing that is custumizable. It has a sound on the background, and also a sfx for winning and loosing. Both are very easy to change, just put the sound you want on the msds folder (see instructions for instalation bellow), put the name according to what you want, and you're done, the music/sfx will be incorporated to the game, no need to recompile. The sound files must be on raw format, with a frequence of 11025, stereo and 8 bits signed, otherwise they won't play properly (faster/slower, but not as it was supposed to be :P).

Screens:

The start screen. Updated: As you can see, I finally added a Title Screen :o (thanks .Nyt!)

The main game loading.

Installing:
Unpack the folder that is on the msds.rar file (attached to this post) on the root of your SD/CF/mini SD, and put the rom version that works on your flashcard (also attached below) anywhere on the SD/CF (at least for Supercard, I'm not sure how the others flashcards work :-X). At the moment, this only works with cards that work with FATlib, I'm using the modified version that can be found on DoomDS (the only one that worked for both my SD cards).

After unpacking, you'll end up with this files:

E(or whatever drive):\msds\loose.raw
The sfx played when you loose (well, not right after, play to check ^-^). If you're going to put your own sfx, just make sure it's not too long, since it's completely loaded to the DS Ram :P.

E(or whatever drive):\msds\win.raw
The sfx played when you win. Just as loose.raw, please don't put a too large file  ???

E(or whatever drive):\msds\music.raw
The background music for the game. Differently from loose.raw and win.raw, this file can be as large as you want! That is possible because the music is played on a buffer-like way, so you can have it as large as needed. Just remember: 11025, stereo, 8 bits signed.

E(or whatever drive):\msds\msds.sav
The save file. Just don't mess with it :o

Gameplay:
Just as simple as the game: to open a tile, just press it. The right click (put a flag / neutralize that tile) is simulated by holding L/R before/during touching. For bigger games, that you can't see all the tiles at the same time on the touchscreen, you can scroll either using the D-Pad(A/B/X/Y for left handed people) or using the stylus. To use the stylus, hold UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT/A/B/X/Y and touch 'n drag on the screen. after you've touched you can let go of the UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT buttons, and move the "table" around.

On the topscreen is an overview of the whole game, together with the bombs left and the time played. The highscore system can be accesed through the options menu, and is working fine (I hope :P), but only for the Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced game modes, not the custom ones.

Before saying there's a bug on the highscore system, please remember that on Minesweeper, the lowest your grade, the better, so yes, the initial "all The_Legend - 999" highscore system is correct ;D.

To access the menu, just press Start.

I guess that's it, I'll update it when I have a decent title screen, maybe I'll do that on saturday, don't really know.

I'd love to hear your feedback / bug report :-*

Edit: Improved the "sound loading from SD", now it seems perfect, hehe

Edit again: Fixed a bug that would allow you to touch outside the board and open a tile  ::sm-04::
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 12:23:29 PM by The_Legend »

Offline yeyezai

Re: [NDS Game] MineSweeperDS
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 01:00:27 AM »
Now I am reading and translate it into Chinese , and then post on my blog.

Offline yeyezai

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 02:27:09 AM »

Offline The_Legend

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 10:01:09 AM »
http://yeyezai.studa.cn/user/yeyezai/archives/2006/200681814321.shtml
Chinese version
Good luck :-*

lol, nice! :D

btw, you didn't make a comment, but I gues the :-* emoticon means that you liked it, hehe

I've made an update to the sound playing, it's way better now, I think I can say it's perfect or anything near it =D
« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 10:27:53 AM by The_Legend »

Offline yeyezai

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 08:25:35 PM »
I contact the Administrator and ask for adding those emots
He told me, the new version of Oblog will release, and add when Update.
At that time, I reedit this article.

Offline The_Legend

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2006, 06:18:02 AM »
This post was removed by a moderator.

very funny ¬¬
« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 01:39:44 AM by cory1492 »

Offline Payk

• NDSDEV.DE
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2006, 07:14:34 PM »
Yeah cool
U thought about our image...heheh
yeah its the splash of the real coders... ;=P

Offline The_Legend

Re: [NDS Game] MineSweeperDS (final)
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2006, 02:50:06 AM »
Yeah cool
U thought about our image...heheh
yeah its the splash of the real coders... ;=P

I hope you're being ironic, 'cause if you're not... LiraNuna alone is childish enough, there's no more run for childs on this post/forum

anyway, updated the game, correct a little bug on the Intermediate highscore screen and finally added a title screen! I guess it's final now :P

Offline Payk

• NDSDEV.DE
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2006, 02:54:48 AM »
No...It has nothing todo with age to hv fun :)
Last time Atztec had a "PaInside" screen...so we and others just thought a "PaOutside" would be funny...if u dont think so...cant help...
Its just the answer of that other splash and there is nothing bad outside we just show our interest and opinion like atztec dever did.

Offline The_Legend

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2006, 03:01:43 AM »
No...It has nothing todo with age to hv fun :)
Last time Atztec had a "PaInside" screen...so we and others just thought a "PaOutside" would be funny...if u dont think so...cant help...
Its just the answer of that other splash and there is nothing bad outside we just show our interest and opinion like atztec dever did.

when you make fun of other people's work, it's not funny at all. LiraNuna has used that image to make fun of people who don't have the extra time to learn using libnds or only bothers about making the game/app work, not bothering about hardware stuff.

anyway, I really didn't like what LiraNuna did (I already didn't like his attitude from the last compo), and that pissed me off. but enough talking about this selfish being.

Offline Payk

• NDSDEV.DE
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2006, 03:05:19 AM »
I agree with stoping that topic.
At least it has nothing to do with the game ;)
Small FeedBack: I tested a bit and found it nice...but didnt had much time...i want to finish my gtame as much as possible...I will test all games after posting

Offline The_Legend

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2006, 12:46:25 PM »
Fixed a bug that would allow you to touch outside the board and open a tile ::sm-04::

Offline quay cur

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2006, 10:38:36 PM »
attachment won't download.  might be me though.

Offline The_Legend

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2006, 11:14:49 PM »
attachment won't download.  might be me though.

all are working fine for me... try again, maybe something was fixed. the msds.rar file gave me a white screen, then when I tried again it worked fine.

Offline quay cur

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2006, 11:16:54 PM »
hmf, wierd.  must have been a hiccup on the server, or my browser