Here is my entry in to this competition:MAP THIS! GPS MAP VIEWER FOR PSP
short video clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nitCHViaCU
This software is distributed under GPL license and provided for education purposes only.
It is not fully tested and therefore should be used with caution.
I shell not be responsible for any damages and/or legal problems which may arise from using this
application & underlying hardware setup.
agreement before using this application.
- Scroll through large (up to 65536x65536 pixels) maps.
- Zoom in/out. The number of zoom levels depends of on the size of the map.
- Large coverage. The program uses imagery from Google Maps, which currently have pretty good coverage of
North America, Western Europe, Australia, Japan. Visit Google maps, to find out if they provide required
coverage for your location.
- Customizable map size, level of detail and coverage.
- Ability to display zipped maps (currently buggy)
- Ability to display satellite and hybrid maps from Google.
- WIFI map retrieval: ability to acquire and store map data to memory stick over WIFI
- Linux/Cygwin script is also provided to generate a map of given size and detail for a given location.
- GPS support: ability to read and interpret NMEA sentences from a GPS receiver communicating through PSP's serial port.
Rather simple DYI hook up with GPSlim 236 receiver from Holux is explained in following thread: http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30035
In GPS mode there are following features:
- Speed, direction, altitude, latitude, longitude, number of satellites in view.
- NORTH UP mode: map is displayed with NORTH always on top. The arrow in the middle turns to shows current direction.
- TRACK UP mode: map rotates so that direction of movement is always from top down.
- Record GPS data (captures NMEA sentences in gps.txt file for later replay)
- POI/Attractions data support. Ability to select and display different types of attractions.
- PSPSDK compatible source code provided.
1.5 users: copy contents of 1.5 folder to ms:/PSP/GAME
1.0 use EBOOT.PBP from 1.0 folder with data files from 1.5 folder
2.0+ try using EBOOT.PBP from NOGPS folder with data files from 1.5 folder
2.7+ generate maps of up to 32x32 size with provided cygwin script and html files,
copy them on MS and view through the PSP's browser.
View the attached README file for further details...
Here is the executables:http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/bin/mapViewer_v01.zipPaste the link in to your browser if the link does not work directly
Sample hybrid map for some part if Paris, France::http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/bin/_PARIS_FRANCE_48.862957_LON_2.34497_16x.zip Note to admins
: I tried numerous times to upload the files to this thread but it kept timing out.. Perhaps someone can do it for me..
[EDIT]Added support for MSN/ Virtual Earth maps:
See the post below for details...
[EDIT]Since some people did not like the cygwin scripts, here is yet another PC tool, for downloading the maps for the viewer, created by in7ane:
source and exe (in /bin/debug/):
it requires Microsoft .net 2 from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/ (~22Mb)
Check this thread if you run in to problems: