Author Topic: [NDS] TetattDS, v1.1 Released!  (Read 11609 times)

Offline Ted

[NDS] TetattDS, v1.1 Released!
« on: August 21, 2006, 04:24:32 AM »
TetattDS

Here's our entry. Tetris Attack for the DS!
A simple yet addicting puzzle game. Originally made for SNES and now lovingly reproduced for the DS, with added touchscreen support and up to five players multiplayer via WiFi.

For best experience, play on real hardware. Sound and music doesn't work in Dualis, and of course, you can't try multiplayer there either.

Included is the game itself and the server. The server is just an ugly console window at the moment, but you're not going to look at that for long anyway.

I will keep a server up at ted.getmyip.com most of the time, hopefully there will be at least two people online simultaneously sometime. Playing solo on a server works just like the Vs. Self mode, so one could do that while waiting for someone else to join.

We've only tried it with three players, so please join and help us test if it works correctly with more.

Multiplayer photos.

A quick how-to:
  • Move cursor with D-pad and use A,B,X or Y to make the blocks swap place.
  • Or drag blocks using the touchscreen, still only horizontally.
  • Align three or more blocks of the same color horizontally or vertically to 'pop' them.
  • Blocks falling because you removed other blocks can create Chains.
  • Removing four or more blocks at once counts as a Combo.
  • Combos and chains will send 'garbage' to your opponents in multiplayer.
  • Convert garbage to regular blocks by popping blocks adjacent to the garbage.
  • Chains will make larger garbage blocks than combos.
  • Large garbage blocks have to be popped several times.
  • The gray blocks with exclamation marks will send gray garbage blocks.
  • Gray garbage works like regular garbage, but won't pop at the same time.

For additional info, please read the included readme-file.
And for the source and some other smaller projects, please visit us at:
http://www.itstud.chalmers.se/~larssten/nds/

Credits:
    Thomas Ericsson (me)
    Sten Larsson
    Jakob Bornecrantz
« Last Edit: September 01, 2006, 04:22:19 AM by Ted »

Offline GCTonyHawk7

Re: [NDS] TetattDS
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 04:37:41 AM »
Wow, that is really cool. Pretty fun too. Love how you have the multiplayer in there.  :-*

Offline sypherce

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 06:37:25 AM »
Oh great, first I had to play 700+ Tetris DS matches online, now this comes out... I'm such an addict... Can't wait to play this, THANK YOU!   :D

Offline Sektor

• gtamp.com/DS
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 10:34:55 AM »
Very cool that it supports wi-fi.  IMHO, if it doesn't have tetris shapes, it's not tetris but I know many would disagree.

I like how it doesn't require a stylus, not even for the keyboard.  Many people neglect the good old d-pad.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 10:44:38 AM by Sektor »

Offline QuickJump

• Quick Journal / Quick Jump
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 10:51:13 AM »
Looks a lot like Meteos :p

Does this game play like Meteos? I'm too tired right now to test it out, but I'll test this game out in the morning - looks good
QJ Network (QJ.net) - All homebrew releases + gaming industry news - Updated 24/7!

Offline Sektor

• gtamp.com/DS
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 11:22:05 AM »
Very similar to meteos but the blocks don't fly, the play area is smaller and you have to think more.  In meteos you can just randomly move the stylus around and get a high score.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 11:27:40 AM by Sektor »

Offline vd0man

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2006, 03:02:25 PM »
Well I just played a few rounds online with Sektor (I'm assuming Ted=Sektor) and I'm really impressed with it.  I hadn't played Tetris Attack before today and I really took a beating but it was great fun.

Just to clarify about the server thing, I was pretty sure I didn't need to run it just to play online but I tried wifi play several times and there were no other players.  I wasn't sure if there were really no other players or I wasn't connecting properly so I tried running server.exe and connected and lo and behold there you were.  I know now that it was just a coincidence but I just asked to make sure.

Offline Ted

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 03:59:33 PM »
If you're Joe, you played a few rounds with me. (Ted == Ted)  =)

The server.exe is only for if you want to start a server of your own for some reason, you should not run it otherwise as it'll do you no good. Just connect to my server at ted.getmyip.com and hope someone else is there, or get hold of a friend or two and hop on.
If you do log on and it is empty, please stay a while as i will join if i am at home.

Perhaps i should mention that we're aware that the game sometimes crashes in multiplayer. It's seemingly quite random, so if you're lucky you could play for hours without problems, but it's something we're working on and an updated server and/or client should be avaliable within a day or so.

Offline palyons

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2006, 04:49:43 PM »
 ::sm-29.gif:: Woo! Thank you guys so much for porting this game! I was very disappointed when I played Puzzle League for the GBA, it just did NOT feel TA-ish in the least. This game plays great! This was one of my favorite puzzlers for the SNES. Keep up the great work!

Offline Tassu

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2006, 09:09:51 PM »
So addicting! The sound effects are very nice too.

Offline darkNiGHTs

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2006, 11:27:49 PM »
Wow, I loved tetris attack for the SNES!

Offline asterix*

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2006, 06:33:47 PM »
This really is quite brilliant. Played against Ted last night, and despite his crashing there's masses of potential here.

Alex

Offline havoc_012

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2006, 03:41:07 AM »
I really love this game's single player mode, the only problem is I can't get it to work right over wifi. I can't run the server.exe because I get an error message that says "the application failed to start becacuse the application configuration was inncorect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem." Also, do I need anything else on my flashcart other than the tetattds.nds file?

I'm sorry I probably overlooked something that was really obvious but I would really like to play some online tetris attack against you guys.

Offline Ted

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2006, 07:53:16 AM »
Easiest questions first:

No, you don't need anything other than the .nds-file in order to play.

You do not need to start server.exe in order to play over wifi, just connecting to ted.getmyip.com from the game will be enough.

The problem with not being able to start the server has something to do with some missing C++ runtime libraries or so i'd assume. (or you could say it's my fault for not including the needed ones i suppose)
If you do want to run a server of your own i'd assume installing the .NET Framework (here) would help. (the current server is not a .NET application, but i think you get the needed files with the framework, and you will need the framework to use the new server anyway, when it's ready)

Progress update:
I'm currently rewriting the network code from scratch, probably moving over to UDP instead of TCP, or both, i'll see how things work out.
The server will be rewritten using C#, giving it a gui and such.
Nothing major will be added to the game itself until i get the netcode working properly, but small fixes will be included, so if there's something bugging you, do post a note here so i know about it.

And thanks for all the nice comments. =)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 08:53:31 AM by Ted »

Offline mushroomfantasy

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2006, 11:47:56 AM »
Sounds awesome.. i really need to get a flash card XD