Author Topic: Updated PC-E menu  (Read 8865 times)

Offline markwolfe

• NEO newbie
Re: Updated PC-E menu
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2010, 07:51:00 AM »
What model of the console are you using? I only have a PAL TG16 myself, so that's the only kind I can test with.

I really have zero documentation about how the cart works. The way I made the updated menu was by manually disassembling the original menu with the help of an emulator, and then adding my own code for listing multiple games and loading some additional graphics. But the actual loading should be exactly the same, so I'm assuming you have the same problems with the original menu(?)

I'm sure the problem is not your menu. it happens with the official menu when using the OSX loader software too: http://www.neoflash.com/forum/index.php/topic,5941.0.html

My consoles are a US Turbo Duo and a PC-Engine LT.

I will try your menu using the official writer and see what happens. I'm sure it will work. I like that it shows more than one game at a time, plus it does not cause the same sort of "burn in" that the stark blue background and white letters cause. I find I can see a ghost image of the official menu on my LT screen and it probably does the same on an LCD or PLasma TVs too. yours has muted colors and is much more subtle.

Offline mr.spiv

• junk yard
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2010, 10:25:07 PM »

I'm sure the problem is not your menu. it happens with the official menu when using the OSX loader software too: http://www.neoflash.com/forum/index.php/topic,5941.0.html

My consoles are a US Turbo Duo and a PC-Engine LT.

I will try your menu using the official writer and see what happens. I'm sure it will work. I like that it shows more than one game at a time, plus it does not cause the same sort of "burn in" that the stark blue background and white letters cause. I find I can see a ghost image of the official menu on my LT screen and it probably does the same on an LCD or PLasma TVs too. yours has muted colors and is much more subtle.

Keeping my OSX flasher as a reference might not be fair towards Mic.. because I have not isolated what causes the "reset" behavior. I would keep the old official v1.1 windows flash software as the reference. That's the software whose USB protocol I originally dumped. By the way.. recently when I did testing with the latest windows software, my carts have similar crashing or broken gfx issues. Not to mention that the latest windows software does not seem to remove the possible 512 bytes header from roms. (I am using Core Grafx)
..more coffee..

Offline Hatta

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2010, 11:53:02 AM »
I see that you have the save feature supported.  Can I ask how you use this?  I have been unable to figure out how to do this with either your menu or the original. 

Offline markwolfe

• NEO newbie
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2010, 12:36:26 PM »
I see that you have the save feature supported.  Can I ask how you use this?  I have been unable to figure out how to do this with either your menu or the original.

what I did was download the pc writer software and take the menu bios file from that. I put it in the same directory that I put the osx software. when I launch it, I selected the CUSTOM MENU feature and then select the menu bios form the pc writer. THAT gives you the save feature when writing with the osx software. the built in menu in the software does not offer that.

Offline mr.spiv

• junk yard
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2010, 06:31:58 PM »
the way.. recently when I did testing with the latest windows software, my carts have similar crashing or broken gfx issues. Not to mention that the latest windows software does not seem to remove the possible 512 bytes header from roms. (I am using Core Grafx)

Forgot to say that the OSX Slim-e-loader removes the "SNES" header automatically unless the rom is less than 1Mbits.. You may encounter these very short roms when doing your own PCE development or try some homebrew stuff.
..more coffee..