Author Topic: TTDS review  (Read 27979 times)

Offline Phantom

• Neo-Newbie
TTDS review
« on: December 02, 2007, 12:23:49 AM »
Top Toy DS

Product: Top Toy DS for DS & DS Lite
Reviewer: DJP form www.Playeradvance.org
Official Website: www.Neoflash.com

Introduction

Announced 2 weeks ago, in same time as the MK6 Save Cart, this new product of the NeoFlash team is already in our hands for a review in worldwide exclusive!

Here is a reminder of product specifications:

* 1:1 Original small size
* Build in passme function
* not need patch, just need drag and drop,then plug and play
* support homebrew app & game
* support moonshell movie player
* support soft reset in the game
* support cheat code function, more fun now
* support wireless multi-player
* support brightness adjust in menu
* pure hardware save, never lose data
* tf menu core upgradeable
* support all roms,compatibility = 100%

This cartridge aligns perfectly with the competition (M3Real, CycloDS, SuperCard DS One) nothing more, nothing less. Lets see what's happen in detail.

What’s in the Box

The TTDS, like the MK5 and all Neoflash's products comes in a molded plastic packaging. This pack include, of course, the TTDS cartridge but also a microSD card reader and a small CD including some homebrews aswell as all the drivers and programs to allow the use of products from the manufacturer.

It is interesting to note that the reader micro-SD is identical to the one which will be bundled with the DS Vision AM3/Nintendo.

We are facing here a classic DS linker with a SD slot located on the top which allow to remove the memory card without having to extract the TTDS from the Nintendo DS. This port is equipped with an ejection system which will save the nails of the user. Unlike other linkers such as CycloDS the cartridge is completely closed and we do not feel the presence of a microchip under the sticker. The TTDS fit perfectly into the console without the slightest friction.

How does it work ?

Before you can use the TTDS you have to drag and drop some files on the microSD . This includes the menu of the linker but aswell its skin and language files, all this being placed in a TTMenu folder. Once this is done it only remains to place the roms directly to the root of the microSD.

Once the cartridge is inserted you have direct access to menu. It is relatively conventional, list of roms, options menu, options for each game, selection of cheat codes ... One of the particularities of the TTDS is to display directly as all the features enabled by using small icons. For example you will see if a game can be played with friends in download play mode without having to launch the latter to see if this option is available or not. Unfortunatly this isn't read directly in the roms but in a database file that requires regular updating. The launch of roms is almost instantaneous lasts a maximum of 5 seconds for the biggest games.

All the tested games (30) works perfectly especially during intense streaming during the cinematics of Castlevania or in the recent Runaway 2, which have major slowdowns with some linkers . Everything is perfect with a simple microSD Sandisk (not SDHC). Apart from a loading that failed once (but functioned after reboot) there is nothing more to say, compatibility is very good. The download play function was tested with several games (12) between two non flashed consoles (DS and DSlite) without any problem. Once again the result is perfect. Of course this is the same for multi-cards multiplayer modes.

One disappointment, however, lies with the lack of in-game menu, you can't modify cheat codes directly during the game nor changing brightness. On the homebrew side, once again, no problem even Linux agrees to work, just like 20 of homebrews from PlayerAdvance.Conclusion.

The TTDS has been tested compatible with both the rumble pak and the memory expansion pak. Unfortunalty it's actually incompatible with the EZ 3 in 1, which is recognized as a GBA game.

The Cheat Engine is based on Action Replay code and is compatible with R4DS cheats which make it easier to add new game without waiting for an official update of the the database.

Conclusion

The TTDS is quite convincing. With this linker we are facing a really good manufacturing quality, slightly better than its competitor, which is definitely a good thing. It works well, the games are always fast with just a non SDHC card, the menu is customizable, and it include cheat code engine. At the same time this product is not a revolution, the "latest generation" linkers such as CycloDS integrates all the same functions and are mainly differentiable by their menus. It's up to you to choose which is your favorite linker but with the TTDS you will not be disapointed.

Pros:
Skinnable Menu
Very good compatilibity
Work fast
SDHC Compatible
High Quality Manufacturing

Cons:
No In-game menu
Incompatible with EZ 3in1

Offline Zombie_X

Re: TTDS review
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 02:35:12 AM »
Nice review there! Man I wish I had a camera.... is there and cheap 5MP ones out that are good??

Offline DjoeN

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 02:40:09 AM »
Like said in the other review

Never do a review to fast.

The TTDS is perfect compatible with the EZFlash 3in1 if you know how it works.
Rudolphs tool is only optimized for R4/M3/Supercard but works on any card for GBA. For Rumble you need to apply a Rumble patch or that rumble trick, I'm still fiddling with a patch for the ram figuring out wath patch from another card does work with it :p who knows.

ATM it's only GBA supported and rumble if you use a patch, like most other cards not supported fully by rudolphs tool.

Anyway, i normally never read reviews from anybody else before mine is finnished, i did read it this time cause the reviews where out so fast!

And to make my point clear again, Reviewing doesn't mean as fast as possible to be first to bring out a review, it means mostly a few days after, even a week later if needed.
Father, The Sleeper Has Awaken!
He Who Controls The Spice, Controls The Universe!

Offline Phantom

• Neo-Newbie
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 07:18:25 AM »
It's not my first review I know what to test, look and what others linkers do. I know you can use a patch for rumble but for me it's not compatibility. A real compatibility mean it work with original dumps directly and just like the original rumble pak. nothing more nothing less. For the GBA part it's in my review (not to long coz' if you have EZ3in1 you know its tools)

I pretty sure 2 days is enought to know a product (even more when you already have all it's competitors...)

Offline PharaohsVizier

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 01:32:49 PM »
It's not my first review I know what to test, look and what others linkers do. I know you can use a patch for rumble but for me it's not compatibility. A real compatibility mean it work with original dumps directly and just like the original rumble pak. nothing more nothing less. For the GBA part it's in my review (not to long coz' if you have EZ3in1 you know its tools)

I pretty sure 2 days is enought to know a product (even more when you already have all it's competitors...)

Well those are pretty high standards for compatibility.  Even with the R4 (which Rudolph's application is made for) doesn't work as well as you want.  Technically no cart, other than the EZ5 itself is "compatible" with the EZ Flash 3 in 1.

Generally I like to fiddle around with a product for at least a week and a half to see the product.  You'd be surprised how often a huge problem or bug pops up that changes your entire view of a product... (cough M3 Lite cough cough)

Offline Phantom

• Neo-Newbie
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 10:42:01 PM »
The CycloDS is compatible with the EZ 3in1, so for me it's a new important feature (unless a EZ3in1-like device is included in the bundle)

SlashMolder

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2007, 03:04:30 AM »
How long would it be to get ezflash 3in1 support? Because I own an ezflash 3in1 and just ordered a ttds yesterday :)

Offline PharaohsVizier

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2007, 03:05:00 AM »
The CycloDS is compatible with the EZ 3in1, so for me it's a new important feature (unless a EZ3in1-like device is included in the bundle)

Not with the GBA feature.  Either way, then all carts other than the CycloDS Evolution and EZ5 will have these points docked off, and frankly I don't think it is fair.  They don't need to support something that they didn't create, why should they?

Offline DjoeN

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2007, 03:11:19 AM »
Ah well it's his review, but like said before a good review needs more then 2 days.

I have allot of NDS Flashcards and all expansion packs, and every time you fidle around, you find new intresting stuff.

I'll make it easy on yu :D

The TTDS has NO Wii connectivity compatibility (White screens), Also I can get all Expansion packs to work with the TTDS with exception for the M3/G6Ds Real GBA Expansion pack, it's not much of trouble to get it working. so if there's a tool to make it work, then yes it is compatible in my eyes, but like i said, every reviewer has it's own opinion even if he has to try to review it as independend as possible.

Ow, you do know the Rumble/RAM games/apps DO get patched on the CycloDS Evo ? it's done on the fly, but the do get patched ;) (you get my point)

Offline brakken

• www.tehskeen.com - original non-copied news
    • TehSkeen.com
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2007, 03:19:47 PM »
Like said in the other review

Never do a review to fast.

He's a 16 year old kid - give him a break or don't send him review products :)

Offline DjoeN

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2007, 10:28:54 PM »
i'll give him a break :D

and Brakken, always nice to read your site once and awhile :)
You should bring out a  ::sm-22.gif:: (who knows it get to a TV serie one day  ~sm-37.gif~ )

Offline Phantom

• Neo-Newbie
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2007, 02:23:14 AM »
I'm 23 year old guys, not 16., and I've been one of the firsts to receive samples from Dr Neo since the beginning.
I'm the main admin of the first french community about GBA/DS dev and hack so I can without doubt : I know the job.

Why do I count the EZ 3in1 in cons ? Because it's a great device and it's possible to be compatible with it (the cyclods is).
If a EZ3 in 1 -like device was included in the bundle of course it would have been better, but the fact is it's not.

Offline sven

• Neo MOD
    • the one starting with: "www." you'll find the rest.
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2007, 02:25:52 AM »
for it not being included is not a con. that would make the price higher!

I think it's not a big con, but also not a pro but somewhere in between, it supports it but can be better.
O hai

Offline brakken

• www.tehskeen.com - original non-copied news
    • TehSkeen.com
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2007, 02:59:14 AM »
I'm 23 year old guys, not 16

I wasn't talking about you. I was talking about ZombieX.

Offline DjoeN

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2007, 05:32:41 AM »
I'm 23 year old guys, not 16., and I've been one of the firsts to receive samples from Dr Neo since the beginning.
I'm the main admin of the first french community about GBA/DS dev and hack so I can without doubt : I know the job.

Like brakken said, but looking afterwards it is a bit misplaced.
I know you maintain one of better French GBA/NDS sites (playeradvance)
It still is 1 of the many must read resource for me on homebrew.

Why do I count the EZ 3in1 in cons ? Because it's a great device and it's possible to be compatible with it (the cyclods is).
If a EZ3 in 1 -like device was included in the bundle of course it would have been better, but the fact is it's not.

Ah well the just need to build in rumble/ram auto patch on the fly.
But maybe there's a reason why not, the reason M3DS Real will prolly never have auto rumble/ram patching on the fly like the cyclods is cause the brought out there own expansion packs ;)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 05:34:42 AM by DjoeN »