Author Topic: Operation Libra  (Read 29726 times)

Offline x711Li

Operation Libra
« on: August 17, 2009, 07:22:35 AM »
Nickname: x711Li (Daniel Li)
Project name : Operation Libra
Division : NDS/GBA GAME
Original entry : YES
Support Motion : YES
In last NEO Compo this project have won in the top 10 : NO

"Operation Libra" is an "escape the room game",

"Escape the room is a subgenre of adventure game,[1] usually created as a browser game for the Adobe Flash platform, that utilizes a point-and-click style of play. The object of the game is to find a way to escape from a mysterious room. The room usually consists of a locked door, several objects to manipulate as well as hidden clues or secret compartments.[2] The player must use the objects to interact with other items in the room to reveal a way to escape.[3]"

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escape_the_room)

Operation Libra is not a demo. It is a full version of the game.

Originally made in Actionscript for an in-school class, the game was originally named Entrapment. Over the course of a month, the art and game engine were created in Flash and was later used for the intended project. However, a month after, I decided to port this onto the DS and see how it would go. Within 3 weeks, the game was ported onto the DS with extra features that were not previously included in the original Flash project.

Although Operation Libra is an "escape the room game", the plot revolves the character escaping out of a mansion, with 9 rooms in total. There are 52 objects to examine, many of them interactive and required to escape out of the mansion. Every pixel of the environment art was designed by B12CORE and drawn by ALGraphics. The art was originally sized at 720 x 480, but was reduced to 256 x 192 in order to fit the DS proportions.

If you are playing this on an emulator, you will be unable to save or load files. Saving and loading is a feature exclusive only to actual hardware. However, you can save and load states.

How to play

Download Operation Libra here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?mdolzmz2jzt

Move Operation Libra.nds onto your Flashcard.
Load it using your Flashcard's firmware.
You're done.

Controls

- D-Pad to move around and to rotate various tools such as the screwdriver.
- If you have DS Motion, you can tilt your Nintendo DS to move around.
- Touch Screen to interact with objects.
- Press the START button to Save.

I'm releasing this on August 16th for the Open BETA phase where the public can test and see how it is. In the next 4 days, I will be adding background music, renewed sound effects (if needed), and extra art (if possible). The gameplay, however, is 100% complete.

Credits

Producer:

Daniel Li

Game Designers:

Hyun Woo Choi
Angela Leung
Daniel Li

Art:

Angela Leung
Daniel Li

Closed Beta Testers:

Alberto Panda
Aleks Manov
Alex Bolek
Angel Torres
Bella Tria
Cindy Kate
Corey Sarnia
Daniel Carter
Darion Gomez
David Shi
Evelyn Perry
Ferdinand Hollis
George Lai
Gurpreet Singh
John Lai
Jose Manuel
Lior HermĂ­nio
Lutz Viliam
Mateo Zoto
Mattias Hermansson
Nick Trevisan
Patrick Oh
Sal Devereux
Sebastian Arne
Stavros Gregorios
Stephen Huang
Steve Ezeta
Thomas Kwon
Tomm Kasey
Tom Phan
William Daniels
(Alias) Airflow
(Alias) Bellatrix
(Alias) Equal_BASS
(Alias) Generic
(Alias) iamSTEVE
(Alias) Moogra
(Alias) Someone
(Alias) Sparks
(Alias) Traitor
(Alias) xYOMI

Special Thanks to:

PALib (for hosting and maintaining an NDS homebrew alternative to devkitPRO.)
Neoflash (for continually hosting professional homebrew competitions. Your support for the NDS homebrew community is well-appreciated.)

Spoiler-free Walkthrough : http://pastebin.com/f71696ac

(you can use this as a guide on how to beat the game. For maximum enjoyment, however, I would suggest to use this lightly)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 06:28:41 AM by x711Li »

Offline BranMuffin

Re: Operation Libra
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 12:33:52 PM »
long time lurker, first time poster here.

b12core, i recognized u from the spring compo last year. it looks like you put the same amount of effort into ur new game as u did last compo. i just turned this on and the storyline is great, did u make it yourself?

i'm losing a little faith in the neoflash compo... a lot of the game entries this year lack effort and originality (they're just remakes of other games drons - tron, the two shooter games, omgwtf - tetris) glad u still have the spirit!

::sm-24.gif:: neoflash spirit! LOOOOL

Offline AssassinShun

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 03:01:06 PM »
Very nice work, the art is very nice.

Offline Shoot

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 04:10:06 PM »
I just beta tested this game and it was good.
It has a GREAT story.  I just got to say, B12Core, you really did a good job. It looks like you put A LOT of effort. Even though I found a couple collision bugs, and the begining is quite long and just lots and lots of text.

Fix the collision and add some pictures to the beginning and its good to go :)

Offline x711Li

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 04:20:33 PM »
long time lurker, first time poster here.

b12core, i recognized u from the spring compo last year. it looks like you put the same amount of effort into ur new game as u did last compo. i just turned this on and the storyline is great, did u make it yourself?

i'm losing a little faith in the neoflash compo... a lot of the game entries this year lack effort and originality (they're just remakes of other games drons - tron, the two shooter games, omgwtf - tetris) glad u still have the spirit!

::sm-24.gif:: neoflash spirit! LOOOOL

haha thank you.

The storyline was backed up by the game designers involved in this project.

and don't be down about the Neoflash compo, the homebrew communities of every console remake games every so often.

Very nice work, the art is very nice.

I can't take much credit for it, I didn't do a lot of the bitmap based art. I did make the vector based art (the maps).

I just beta tested this game and it was good.
It has a GREAT story.  I just got to say, B12Core, you really did a good job. It looks like you put A LOT of effort. Even though I found a couple collision bugs, and the begining is quite long and just lots and lots of text.

Fix the collision and add some pictures to the beginning and its good to go :)

Would you mind PMing me the maps with the collision bugs?

I'll also be adding art into the intro, so it won't be so boring.

Offline Shoot

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 04:25:03 PM »
PM Sent

Offline M. Lucanius

• Sola Scriptura
    • visit Wretched!
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 04:36:38 PM »
Can I convert your box art into a DSision compatible one?
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world, those who know binary and those who don't.

Offline x711Li

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 10:33:14 PM »
Can I convert your box art into a DSision compatible one?

Sure, you mind sending me what a DSision compatible one looks like?

Offline M. Lucanius

• Sola Scriptura
    • visit Wretched!
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 11:03:57 PM »
Actually it's quite simple: It's just resized to 128x115. The one for my project looks like this:

Oops. I'm having a little trouble attaching the one I made for yours. It has to be a bmp with the name of "Operation Libra.nds.bmp" for it to work and Neoflash does not support bmps. Well, I can e-mail it to you or you can resize it yourself. Either way  :)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 11:13:40 PM by M. Lucanius »
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world, those who know binary and those who don't.

Offline x711Li

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 01:53:45 AM »
Actually it's quite simple: It's just resized to 128x115. The one for my project looks like this:

Oops. I'm having a little trouble attaching the one I made for yours. It has to be a bmp with the name of "Operation Libra.nds.bmp" for it to work and Neoflash does not support bmps. Well, I can e-mail it to you or you can resize it yourself. Either way  :)

Err. Well I'll need to upload it as a .bmp and I don't know any image hosting websites that don't convert .bmp into .jpg.

I'll see, do you need it urgently?

Offline M. Lucanius

• Sola Scriptura
    • visit Wretched!
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 02:47:21 AM »
I don't need it (I made my own); I just thought it might be neat for those of us that use DSision. You can create a download on your main post by attaching the bmp to a corresponding thread on PAlib's forum. Then you link to that download via url tags. This is what I did, but considering the effort that would go into it and the time it would take AND THAT THERE IS ONLY THREE DAYS LEFT TO THE COMPO AND THAT IT IS A MINOR FEATURE AND THAT I'M RUNNING OUT OF BREATH *takes a deep breath*, it's probably not worth it.

Offline x711Li

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 02:53:30 AM »
I don't need it (I made my own); I just thought it might be neat for those of us that use DSision. You can create a download on your main post by attaching the bmp to a corresponding thread on PAlib's forum. Then you link to that download via url tags. This is what I did, but considering the effort that would go into it and the time it would take AND THAT THERE IS ONLY THREE DAYS LEFT TO THE COMPO AND THAT IT IS A MINOR FEATURE AND THAT I'M RUNNING OUT OF BREATH *takes a deep breath*, it's probably not worth it.

haha alright.

No worries man, 3 days is 72 hours. There are competitions where you are expected to make games from scratch in 72 hours.

Offline wraggster

• DCEmu Homebrew Network
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2009, 04:21:10 AM »
hm a very original looking game for the DS, good luck on the day :)

Webmaster of DCEmu

The Worlds Only Homebrew and Gaming Network Covering All Consoles.

Offline x711Li

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2009, 05:24:27 AM »
hm a very original looking game for the DS, good luck on the day :)

haha thank you very much.

And it's not just original looking, check out the gameplay as well.

~sm-37.gif~

Offline wraggster

• DCEmu Homebrew Network
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2009, 06:41:23 AM »
will do :)

the file is mirrored here also --> http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=235403

(no registration for downloads)

Webmaster of DCEmu

The Worlds Only Homebrew and Gaming Network Covering All Consoles.