Author Topic: SNES Myth menu releases  (Read 99268 times)

Offline mic_

• Global Moderator
SNES Myth menu releases
« on: May 05, 2010, 03:34:33 PM »
Latest version (currently 0.60):
http://code.google.com/p/neo-myth-menu/downloads/list

Features:

* Use the GBA (Neo) cart or an SD card for storage of games.
* Support for cheat codes (Game Genie and Action Replay).
* Support for detection/fixing of software region protection.
* Different reset modes supported; reset to game, reset to menu (requires firmware 2.1 or later).
* SPC playback (SNES music).
* VGM/VGZ playback (Sega Master System / Game Gear music) (SD mode only).

Older versions:
http://jiggawatt.org/badc0de/myth_menu-0.23.zip
http://jiggawatt.org/badc0de/myth_menu-0.22.zip
http://jiggawatt.org/badc0de/myth_menu-0.20.zip
http://jiggawatt.org/badc0de/myth_menu_wla-0.11.zip
http://jiggawatt.org/badc0de/myth_menu_wla-0.09.zip
http://jiggawatt.org/badc0de/myth_menu_wla-0.08.zip
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 03:18:44 PM by mic_ »

Offline mic_

• Global Moderator
Re: SNES Myth menu releases
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 03:35:15 PM »
Can a mod sticky this so it doesn't get buried among other threads?

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 03:57:37 PM »
Can a mod sticky this so it doesn't get buried among other threads?

Done  :D

I've also updated the news page  :)

Offline mic_

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 04:25:40 AM »
v0.25 has been released. See the first post in this topic for download info.

Video showing the new features: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx4Xia4Bbdc

The cheat database has been added. Only a few games are recognized so far (Super Mario World, Contra 3, Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts, X-Men Mutant Apocalypse, and some others). Press select at the main menu screen to get to the cheat database. If the database doesn't contain any cheats for the currently highlighted game you'll get a brief message and a chance to manually enter some cheat codes.

Automatic fixing of software region protections has been added. Press X at the main menu screen, then highlight "Autofix region". Press B to turn it on, then Start to load the game. I've only tested it with a couple of japanese Konami-games on my PAL SNES, so let me know if there are any games that aren't fixed properly by this option.

There's also a ROM info screen available (press X, then go down to "ROM info") that shows some info about the currently highlighted game.

Offline Dr.neo

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 12:53:11 AM »
cool! can't wait to test it!
BTW,do you get the neo2-pro?
In my world,have 0 and 1 only ......Matrix World......

Offline mic_

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 01:05:10 AM »
BTW,do you get the neo2-pro?

DHL has it and are going to deliver it tomorrow.

Offline amptor

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 01:53:33 AM »
This looks great.  I'm still on 0.23 and didn't notice the news on 0.25 because I think it is under the same topic on the main page.  So I loaded up my card last night and saw the 0.23.  I'm going to update to 0.25 tonight.  Not that I really need game genie codes, but they will probably make some of the games more fun to play.  I wonder when SD support is going to be coming along and if more than 4 codes are going to be supported.  Also wondering if there's going to be support to add your own codes or possibly even code searching support.  All this stuff would require more space though. I guess the device probably has enough space for these features.  Pretty cool stuff.

I got home a bit ago and tried the 0.25.  I have megaman x v 1.1 rom loaded and the built in cheat causes the flash cart to freeze with glitched graphics all over the screen.  well I'll try rom version 1.0 later and see if that one works.  also I beat contra 3 with some cheats turned on then the game told me to try a higher difficulty and the game froze on the first stage.  I'm wondering if maybe the built in cheats need more work.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 02:06:35 PM by amptor »

Offline mic_

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 06:06:14 PM »
I wonder when SD support is going to be coming along
Don't know. I'm not working on that feature.

and if more than 4 codes are going to be supported.
Most likely.

Also wondering if there's going to be support to add your own codes
Most likely.

or possibly even code searching support.
I don't see that as anything I'll add in the near future. But maybe someone else will.

I have megaman x v 1.1 rom loaded and the built in cheat causes the flash cart to freeze with glitched graphics all over the screen.  well I'll try rom version 1.0 later and see if that one works.  also I beat contra 3 with some cheats turned on then the game told me to try a higher difficulty and the game froze on the first stage.  I'm wondering if maybe the built in cheats need more work.
Most of those codes are just ones that I got from various cheat sites on the internet, which didn't mention which exact ROM version they were intended for. And I have tested far from all of them.
If anyone wants to submit codes that have been verified to work, along with the ROM checksum and checksum complement for the ROM dump(s) they work with then I can add them to the menu.

Offline amptor

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 06:54:47 AM »
Mic well I'll do another test.  So far, that v1.1 I flashed onto the cart would freeze up and throw random graphics all over the screen before it even started counting down loading the ROM.  And Contra I beat with cheats and then it froze when I was running through all the enemies on the first stage.  Will test these again soon and update this post.

Ok I tested a few things.  V1.0 Megaman X doesn't show codes when you press select.  So I formatted the card and loaded up Megaman X V1.1 and selected rapidfire in the cheats.  It loaded the game then I hit start at the main menu and it froze with a black screen.

Then I was going to test the auto region fix.  I loaded up Super Mario Allstars + Super Mario World (PAL) and tried the auto region fix option, it won't count down to loading the rom and the GUI freezes.

I'm thinking I may just want to go back to menu version 0.23
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 08:05:12 AM by amptor »

Offline mic_

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010, 06:48:58 PM »
So far, that v1.1 I flashed onto the cart would freeze
That's most likely the fault of the cheat code. As I said I just pulled them from the internet. I don't have the time or patience to verify all of them myself. But I did check the "automatic rapidfire" code in BSNES now, and the code does indeed seem bad, or at least not intended for that exact ROM version, because it's overwriting the wrong byte in a jump table. If you modify the code to increase the address by 1 byte (the code then becomes 9DB0-4F61) you do get a working code; it prevents you from charging your X-buster ;)

Btw I found a different scenario where game loading could freeze. It would occur when a cheat code was targeting an odd address in a ROM bank located at an odd 64kB boundary :P  For example the "Stop timer" cheat for Super Castlevania 4 (E). This will be fixed in the next version.

Then I was going to test the auto region fix.  I loaded up Super Mario Allstars + Super Mario World (PAL) and tried the auto region fix option, it won't count down to loading the rom and the GUI freezes.
I'm guessing you've got an NTSC SNES? I do very little NTSC testing since I only have a PAL SNES, and some Myth-specific functions are not easily testable in an emulator. But I think I know what the problem is here just by looking at the routine in question, so it should be an easy fix.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 07:02:24 PM by mic_ »

Offline amptor

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 02:17:41 AM »
The most sure fire way to make sure game genie codes work is to just use official Galoob ones.  If you're looking at gamefaqs for codes and they are custom codes, some of those might not work.

Yeah this is running Super Mario Allstars + World (PAL) on an NTSC console.

Well us, the community, can help you test things out though.  It's good to see progress on this. Kinda strange that the codes and fixes would cause the ROM to either not count down or partially count down loading and then freeze the console.  I'm not sure why that is.  It almost makes it seem like the menu is checking the ROM before it is sent to the RAM, but I don't know why it would even do that.

Oh and I haven't tested adding my own codes in to the menu yet.  I am assuming that works though and that 0.23 probably had no issues.  I do like the idea of built in codes better though and it makes the unit more portable that way.

It was interesting to see no codes for Wild Guns in there yet :P Since there's a few videos of this game running on this cart.  But maybe the PAL one has them, I can try it out :)

Offline mic_

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 03:31:01 AM »
Kinda strange that the codes and fixes would cause the ROM to either not count down or partially count down loading and then freeze the console.  I'm not sure why that is.  It almost makes it seem like the menu is checking the ROM before it is sent to the RAM, but I don't know why it would even do that.
It checks the ROM while copying it to PSRAM. First it copies 1 Mbit, then it applies cheats to the chunk that was just copied and/or scans it for region protection code, then copies the next 1 Mbit and so on. Both the cheat applier and the region protection scanner had bugs in them that under certain conditions could cause the them to jump to bogus addresses and end up in an eternal loop.

It was interesting to see no codes for Wild Guns in there yet :P Since there's a few videos of this game running on this cart.  But maybe the PAL one has them, I can try it out :)
No, there are no codes for any version of Wild Guns in the menu yet. It's one of my favorite SNES games, but it's not a very common game so I haven't seen any codes for it at the sites I've looked at.

Offline amptor

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 03:44:55 AM »
Well looking forward to the next version :)

As far as wild guns I just did a quick google search and didn't see any as well.  I'm guessing that a super wildcard dx can generate codes for this game though and I guess emulators have that capability as well.  Yeah it's one of my favorite games too.  Though I guess I wouldn't cheat in it yet I haven't beat the game although I've had it for a number of years.

Offline JD2k3

• NEO newbie
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2010, 05:58:48 AM »
Hey found some codes for the Wild Guns game you're talking about I guess..

http://www.bsfree.org/index.php?s=4&d=5&g=5291 (Action Replay US)

Go here for a lot of codes for Game Genie and Action Replay:

http://www.bsfree.org/index.php?s=4

Probably a bit much to add them all  8)

Offline mic_

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 03:32:48 AM »
I've just released v0.26. See the first post for a download link.

This is mainly a bugfix release, so hopefully the freezes in v0.25 that could occur in some cases should be gone now.  ???

One thing I've added is a "quick" mode for the "Auto region fix" functionality. In this mode only the first 128kB of the game will be scanned, which seems to be enough for every game I've tested it with. But I've left in the old mode (now called "Complete") just in case some game actually requires it.

I've also added/removed/changed some codes in the cheat database. But the only new game I've added to it is Wild Guns (E).