Author Topic: NEO Summer Retro Coding Contest 2011 for all retro platform announcement  (Read 8306 times)

Offline Dr.neo

• Administrator
NEO Summer Retro Coding Contest 2011 for all retro platform announcement
*** close time: Aug.20th 2011 ***

* Homebrew Game division
There are 10 winners for all platform

* Homebrew APP division
There are 10 winners for all platform

Note: The platform just specify to the retro console, something like NES/PC-E/MD/SNES/N64/GBA/NDS/PSP/PS/PS2/iphone ...... without any limit (but not included PC/MAC compute program)

The rules of NEO Summer retro coding contest 2011:

[1] All original entries will get +5 "original score " , but the second entry (same project from last contest but improved, and just enter one more time again ) will don't get any "original score" in this contest.

[2] With this contest we will keep to use the new judge way still --- everyone can become the judger! You just need test all contest entering and submit your very detailed test report to us , and you must give out your own top 10 winner judgment, from here you can find the good "TOP REVIEWER" sample --- http://www.neoflash.com/forum/index.php/board,108.0.html

We will keep the award --- "NEO TOP REVIEWER" , we will check all review reports and choose the top one reviewer from each division and give out the prize.

[3] The No.1 winner from last Neo contest can't use their same project (even it has updated a lot) to enter this contest again.

[4] You can submit more than one project for any platform at the same time, without any limit.

[5] You must put the NEO Retro Compo badge and NEO website link  to your program when it start to run.

[6] If your production have enter other contest before, you can enter this NEO contest still.

[7] You don't need public your source code, but if you can PM to us for refer is welcome.

Here is the badge for this compo, every coder can modify the badge size and background color to match with your project color, just please keep our design style, don't modify it too much :)
And one more time to mention, every coder need keep the NEO website URL link in the badge screen.

the original Corel Draw v10 design file download: http://www.neoflash.com/compos/neo_coding_2011_badge_original_file.rar

The top 10 prize list for the winners:

The No.1  : US$500 cash , OR choose any items from the www.ic2005.com NEO online shop, just not over U$800 total value.

The No.2  : US$300 cash , OR choose any items from the  www.ic2005.com NEO online shop, just not over U$500 total value.

The No.3  : US$200 cash , OR choose any items from the  www.ic2005.com NEO online shop, just not over U$300 total value.

The No.4~10  : Can choose any items from the  www.ic2005.com NEO online shop, just not over U$150 total value, or choose US$100 cash.

The 2 NEO Top Review winners (each division will have one TOP winner) can choose anyone item from the  www.ic2005.com NEO online shop (just not over U$100 total value), or choose US$100 cash.

See you soon! 

« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 07:17:18 PM by Dr.neo »
In my world,have 0 and 1 only ......Matrix World......

Offline davidgf

Hi again!
I want to participate this year too, but just to make 100% sure. Can I participate with my last year game (Toy Wars, 2nd place) but now for Wii platform?

Thanks!

Offline mic_

• Global Moderator
I don't see anything in the rules that prevents you from doing that. Only those entries that have finished #1 in the past are prohibited from being entered again.
Though I don't know if you will qualify for the +5 "original score".

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
Yeah, does a port to a new platform count as "new"? We should get that issue settled before judging starts.

Offline davidgf

Yes please.
You should add rules for ports. Somebody could grab a game and port it and win the prize. This is IMO not the same as doing your game entirely, specially having SDL and OGL ports.

Thanks!

Offline mic_

• Global Moderator
Ports are allowed.
My reason for saying that it doesn't qualify for "original entry" points is that you've already entered it in the competition once, even if it was for a different platform. Dr Neo has had a more liberal view than me about what "original entry" means, though, and it's going to have to be his call since it's his competition.

Offline dieudunet

• dieudunet
Hello,

I got one question that I suppose someone ask you before.

As this is a Retro Coding contest why IPhone, DS, PSP are present ?

And do you take into account, for the final vote, the complexity of the hardware for which the game has been created ? because coding on NES/SNES/PC-E is far away more difficult than doing C++ code with SDL on DS/PSP/GBA.

Thank you in advance

C is for N00b
ASM rules

Offline mic_

• Global Moderator
As this is a Retro Coding contest why IPhone, DS, PSP are present ?

I don't know. I don't see the DS or PSP as retro either, but they've been included in the compo since the beginning I think.

And do you take into account, for the final vote, the complexity of the hardware for which the game has been created ?

I tend to do that, but I don't know if others do. Keep in mind that the judging to a large degree is done by the users here on the forum by writing reviews of the entries. And then Dr Neo makes the final judgement based on the reviews and his own preferences.

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
I think "retro" refers more to the entries than to the platforms.  8)

Offline mic_

• Global Moderator
I think "retro" refers more to the entries than to the platforms.
Nothing particularly retro about some of the previous entries. You know, like a facebook app ;)

The idea seems to have come about in 2009. Before that the Neoflash competitions were open only for DS/PSP, but then Dr Neo decided to allow entries for older consoles, and it was named the Retro Coding Contest (even though the DS and PSP still were included for some reason. probably because none of those who had participated in earlier compos knew anything about coding for e.g. the Genesis or Master System).

Offline dieudunet

• dieudunet
OK I understand now.

I was thinking that this contest was something like an Hard Core programming contest.

But it's good. I hope people will like my game.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 10:29:34 PM by dieudunet »
C is for N00b
ASM rules