Author Topic: [NDS GAME] DScraft  (Read 40224 times)

Offline smealum

• Neo-Newbie
    • Smea's DevBlog
[NDS GAME] DScraft
« on: August 21, 2011, 05:59:19 AM »
Nickname: smealum
Projet name: DScraft
Division: Retro GAME
Platform: NDS
Original enter: YES
Support Motion: NO
In last NEO Compo this project have won in the top 10: NO

Official website

Project description:

DScraft is a DS homebrew adaptation of the popular game Minecraft. At the moment this is a rather complete adptation of "creative mode" (or minecraft Classic), which means there is only exploration and creation in this version. I am planning on attempting to adapt survival in future versions ! :)

Downloads
DScraft v200811
DScraft v200811 FAT only (download this if you're having trouble with the previous version)

Texture packs (default jolipack and painterly, visibility and planetpack)

Instructions
Simply drag and drop DScraft.nds and the dscraft directory to your card. dscraft directory should be at the root of the cart; the .nds file can be anywhere though.
Included are a "worlds" directory and mapGen program. The worlds directory contains several pre-generated worlds for you to explore; simply drag and drop the files to the dscraft/worlds directory to install each one.
The mapGen program is used to generate new worlds. Simply execute it and follow the steps.

Texture packs can be installed by unzipping them in a directory in the dscraft/packs folder.
Screenshots are stored in the dscraft/screens directory.

Features
- ability to add and remove blocks
- nice terrain generation (including cliffs, plains, small forests, lakes...)
- basic cave generation
- map streaming from file, meaning really big maps can be used (1024x1024 maps are fully playable)
- texture pack support (the game's default texture pack is eldpack)
- saving
- day/night cycle, clouds, dawn/dusk, stars... (basically : nice sky :P)
- more or less dynamic lighting system (torches !)
- basic bottom screen (working buttons, inventory)
- tons of blocks !
- (basic) dynamic water
- hand !

Controls
Control Scheme 1 :

Double tap : jump
ABXY : toggle fly mode

Control Scheme 2 :

ABXY : toggle fly mode

Special thanks
- #dev-fr :D
- eld for his awesome textures
- notch and all of mojang for creating and maintaining minecraft
- boomboombass for the awesome website made under such short notice
- all of my dedicated beta testers :)
- Cyan, GBAtemp, Vloz, Sir_Voe and the two other people whose nicknames weren't in there emails for their generous donations :)

Have some spare change ? The game is and will always be free, but if you feel like donating, here's a link : :)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 08:34:22 PM by smealum »

Offline Chaaru

• NEO newbie
Re: [NDS GAME] DScraft
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 05:59:39 AM »
I've been waiting for this for a while now!

It looks absolutely fantastic! I hope you win!

Will be trying it out immediately!

Offline Naito

• NEO newbie
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 06:01:06 AM »
**** YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Offline ccosmos

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 06:02:52 AM »
Here we go !  Thanks Smealum.

I wish you best of luck for the competition.

Online Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 07:09:31 PM »
I'm not a fan of the original game , but this looks really nice.  :D

Offline smealum

• Neo-Newbie
    • Smea's DevBlog
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 10:00:59 PM »
Thanks !  ;D
Just uploaded a special no$gba version for people who can't test on hardware or want to make videos : http://smealum.net/dscraft/downloads/DScraft_no$gba.rar
(this is EXACTLY the same code as the version released last night, all I did was add files to the filesystem, so I hope that's ok... people could do the same thing themselves using a program like DSlazy, but most don't know how so I prepared it myself)
Anyway, this is NOT very representative of the game : the maps included are small (only 256x256 vs the possible 1024x1024 on hardware) and you can't save, which kind of defeats the purpose of playing the game.  ~sm-46.gif~.gif
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 02:05:54 AM by smealum »

Offline smealum

• Neo-Newbie
    • Smea's DevBlog
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 08:38:07 AM »
Uploaded a new version today !
You can download v230811 on the official website : http://www.smealum.net/dscraft

Changelog :
- now compatible with DSi mode, sudokuhax ! (thanks to WinterMute for helping me track down the problem and fixing it !)
- new loading code, now much faster (big.map doesn't take over a minute anymore, it takes under ten seconds !)
- fixed some streaming issues, maps are now their full size (256x256 used to actually be rendered as a 192x192 map)
- fixed the "last minute streaming" issue which appeared when near the end of the map
- fixed the water jumping with control scheme 1; it's now easier to get out of water.
- nitroFS version : dscraft folder should now be in the same directory as DScraft.nds !
- added a readme.txt file
- map streaming fixed *again*; now it won't get "locked" if you're too close to the edge.
- fixed the bug which made some cube faces disappear after saving; however, that's only for stuff saved from now on, so old maps which were affected with this bug will have to be fixed manually. (so if you had that bug, just place a block in front of the invisible face and remove it !)
- player position is now saved to the map file (so you start back where you left the game off)
- somewhat fixed the cursor; still a bit buggy but much better than it used to be
- it's now possible to make time pass by faster by touching the clock
- fixed the compass
- fixed mapGen for sizes that aren't 256, 512, 1024 etc. you do have to feed it even numbers though
- fixed the saving problem for FAT32 cards formatted for 512byte clusters
- fixed the bug that prevented water from spreading correctly after being loaded.
- new website logo, courtesy of sir Lobo !

Offline smealum

• Neo-Newbie
    • Smea's DevBlog
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 06:53:00 AM »
Just a quick post to let you know I got a small Minecraft -> DScraft map converter working. It's extremely early but it works in most situations. To use it, just download it here : http://smealum.net/dscraft/mc2ds.exe , place the "region" folder from your Minecraft save in the same folder and run mc2ds.exe ; it should spit out a testmap.map file.

Again, this is extremely early and is probably buggy, you can't choose which part of the map you want to convert and it doesn't support torches and in their current form maps generated this way are likely to crash DScraft (at least current version, it's been "fixed" already), especially if they include large bodies of water. So you have been warned, don't complain about it because I honestly couldn't care less at this point.

Here are a few screenshots from a world a friend of mine made in Minecraft (which obviously I converted) :

« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 12:56:41 PM by ChillyWilly »

Offline Sektor

• gtamp.com/DS
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 07:12:34 AM »
Very impressive. I suspect you will win this :)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 03:05:16 PM by Sektor »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 12:58:06 PM »
I fixed the link in the post... do NOT use quotes in the url tag! This is a BBS and doesn't use html conventions.

Offline smealum

• Neo-Newbie
    • Smea's DevBlog
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 02:01:06 AM »
Very impressive. I suspect you will win this :)
Thanks ! I'm not so confident, but I hope you're right.  ~sm-53.gif~.gif

I fixed the link in the post... do NOT use quotes in the url tag! This is a BBS and doesn't use html conventions.
Yeah, thanks for that ! I'd already encountered the problem in my main post, and I fixed it myself, but I didn't pay attention when I posted last time...

Anyway, there should soon be an update with a bit more stuff, including doors and ladders !  ~sm-67.gif~.gif

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 04:07:58 PM »
Very nice! You're definitely going to do well with this entry.  :D

Offline smealum

• Neo-Newbie
    • Smea's DevBlog
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2011, 04:48:49 AM »
aaaaaand, here's another update ! (not for neo competition obviously, but I figure I might as well let people here know about it)

::sm-24.gif::

Get it here : http://smealum.net/dscraft/

Changelog :
- added ladders and doors
- added new dynamic lighting to make caves darker
- added underwater effect
- added control scheme 3 (doesn't require shoulder buttons)
- added mc2ds, a Minecraft to DScraft world converter
- added mapUpdate, a program to recalculate some lighting values to work better with 310811
- included new default worlds
- made it easier to get out of water (again)
- fixed torch placing related bugs
- fixed quad cache overflow bug
- fixed inventory-opening crash
- fixed moon
- fixed menu glitch
- fixed edge related bugs
- many other various bugfixes

Of course I advise anyone to update as soon as possible. :)
For those who'd made worlds in previous versions : they will still be compatible with 310811, but lighting will be a little messed up. To fix that, all you have to do is run mapUpdate on your map files and they should look nice again. Sorry about that, but I didn't really have a choice.
 ~sm-75.gif~.gif

Offline Shadez

• NEO newbie
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 07:35:16 AM »
::sm-29.gif::Helloooooooo,if you read this,i'm going to get this game and i'm really exited,ur game looks awsome,cuz like,you should make a muiltiplayer! ::sm-21.gif:: i'm posting u this cuz ur awsome! bye::sm-17.gif::

Offline Shadez

• NEO newbie
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2013, 04:38:36 AM »
 sup,this game is awsome,i'm gonna get this really cool texture pack,if this was in 2013 comp you would win!:)