Author Topic: Should we keep to run the NEO COMPO in the future?  (Read 8886 times)

Offline Dr.neo

• Administrator
Should we keep to run the NEO COMPO in the future?
« on: August 26, 2011, 08:25:30 PM »
Here is the public poll for collect the coders wish , we will make the final decision of NEO COMPO...

Welcome to leave your personal thought,don't care what choice you have choosed .
In my world,have 0 and 1 only ......Matrix World......

Offline dieudunet

• dieudunet
Re: Should we keep to run the NEO COMPO in the future?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 04:47:26 AM »
I will participate to the next neo compo 2012

I spent 9 months trying to undersand how a Super Nintendo works and how can I code a game only with ASM and I was very happy to discover that my game can participate to a contest and so , have a feedback on the job done :D

So please don't stop it, for the next compo I will try to push the Super nes on her limit (if it has one :D )

But maybe for the next competition we can help to promote that.
I'm located in France. When the 2012 compo open , I can go to differents french developement/video game forum to promote this contest. And so, there will be more game/app.

But I think it's important for developers working on old plateform to have a contest available for them.
C is for N00b
ASM rules

Offline x711Li

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 07:03:21 AM »
As long as the NEO compo is open, I will enter 8)

Offline NightFox

• NightFox & Co.
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 08:01:00 AM »
A compo it's always a festival for amateur coders. If a new compo celebrates, i will join in ^^

Offline 10$man

• NEO newbie
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 10:36:01 AM »
This is my first your attending this contest. Hopefully it won't be my last.  ;D

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 03:38:32 PM »
I wanted to enter this year, but got swamped by work at just the wrong time. I'll enter next year for sure! Unless I get swamped again...  ::sm-02::

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 01:25:28 AM »
I highly doubt that i'll be able to make anything next year since in couple of months i'll receive the notification for my military service(QT1/2012 i think)  so i voted "NO, i won't enter"    O0O

Though , i really hope that neo competitions won't stop anytime soon , but i definitely want to see it changing form a bit  , like :
-Allow iOs apps/games like mentioned already
-Allow platforms like xbox1/xbox 360/gb/gba/n64/gc/wii/wii 2/ps1/ps2/psp/ps3/nes/snes/md/dreamcast  (ahhh  , im cutting it here ~sm-34.gif~ )
-Allow pandora/gp32x/dingo and stuff like that
-Make use of social networks/services ( for example , each person that uploads a video on youtube and does a "like" on your profile will get extra points )
(Btw , im no fan of those ..but they can help , i guess )
-Add bonus wip-section... The idea is simple :
There has to be a special board named "WIP"(work in progress) so that developers can post updates
before their official realease,  and in the end each one of those devs will get some sort of "bonus points" based on the updates(the ratio has to be 0.0~1.0 to avoid abuse).
-"Theme" based competitions might help aswell in case the date changes(For example : NEO WINTER COMPO / NEO XMAS COMPO ).
-Co-operate with scene sites like psx-scene/psp hacks/nds sites (just exchange traffic using banners) since it seems to me that those sites will hardly post news from external sources without some profit.

Oh well that's all. --i hope that it was helpful  :)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 01:28:06 AM by Conle »

Offline Sektor

• gtamp.com/DS
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, 01:36:16 AM »
I think all console/handheld platforms are already allowed. It's just PC and Mac apps that you can't enter.

PSP/DS motion support isn't popular anymore, so I don't think that should really give 10% more points but making a SNES/MD/N64 game/app should give at least 10% extra.

There were a lot of people who entered the gbatemp comp that didn't enter this one. Maybe they didn't know, thought it was against the rules to enter same app in multiple contests or just thought entering multiple contests is greedy.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 01:42:42 AM by Sektor »

Offline mic_

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 01:12:38 AM »
I voted yes because I hope that I'll have something for next year. This year I couldn't find the time to finish anything for the compo.
The frequent downtime of the neoflash site (not just during the summer) may have contributed to the smaller number of entries this year. If people don't know if or when the site hosting the compo is going to be up again, then they might think that the compo isn't going to happen, which could make them less enthusiastic about trying to make something for the compo.

I think it's a nice thing to have once a year. Even though it still mainly is a DS/PSP/Wii compo, there are a few entries for actual retro consoles every year, and it's a good thing for those developers to have competition that's open for that sort of stuff.

Offline Gaz

• DS Homebrew
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 09:33:11 PM »
I will be entering next year!

I would have entered this year, but have been to busy with other projects.

I will promote this competition next year on both my website and YouTube site.
I hope to see the competition running long into the future, it's the best :D

Thank you Dr.neo!

P.S - I will be reviewing this year.

Offline leviadragon

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2011, 08:17:24 AM »
i started to attend to this contest (only this one) from 2004 and for me this  is  one of my most important summer event  ::sm-29.gif::
Before this contest was 2 times for years .. now it's 1 time only  so..please don't stop it! (if you can ... )  ~sm-76.gif~.gif

i really appreciate every time the effort of the staff, the price and the possibility for coders like me to show our value(ever the smallest).
It's a good possibility ever for the neoflash team to show many of their product.
It's a spark of life ever for the oldest console or old gaming and new ideas.

this is my personal thought and that's why i choose "I partecipate" .

Thanks again to all.

Offline DesertDog

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2011, 12:38:50 PM »
I think that this is a great competition. I have participated in the past five compos and I will come back again next year.

My opinion is that the rules need to change though. I think you need to separate DS and PSP from other entries. Also, you need to reduce the number of prizes, even though I think the prizes are great.

But, I will understand if this year is the last competition. You're not getting the same publicity as you used to, back when DS and PSP were popular. And since the majority of entries are still DS/PSP, it's hard to get excited when people are more interested in 3DS, Vita, etc.

Offline dieudunet

• dieudunet
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2011, 03:32:51 PM »
Finnaly, I'm not sure if I will participate next year.

I'm still working on Super Nes to understand everything on it. But whatever will be my skill and my futur game, I don't think I can compet with DS/PSP.

The difference between the hardware are just too high and the Time needed to do a game is multiply by 10 for a real Retro Console.

I think this competition must be dedicated to DS/PSP/WII game homebrew to equilibrate this system or maybe split in 2 parts : "Retro Contest" and "Recent Contest".

C is for N00b
ASM rules

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2011, 09:18:18 AM »
I'll enter for sure, I just need to make sure I start on my own stuff much sooner in the year in case I get swamped like I did this year.

Offline mic_

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2011, 01:33:17 PM »
I agree with DesertDog that the amount of prizes probably could be cut down. Either lower the amounts, or only give prizes to the top 3 or top 5 of each category.