Author Topic: The SEGA MKIII 256M myth cart released  (Read 9634 times)

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
Re: The SEGA MKIII 256M myth cart released
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2012, 01:02:00 PM »
Are you running the Genesis video through the cart? If so, try running it straight to the TV to see if you are getting anything from the console.

It's a little odd that you're trying to run the SMS Myth on the PBC on the MD... are you trying to use the 3D glasses or something?

Offline naI

• NEO newbie
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2012, 01:10:55 AM »
Are you running the Genesis video through the cart? If so, try running it straight to the TV to see if you are getting anything from the console.

It's a little odd that you're trying to run the SMS Myth on the PBC on the MD... are you trying to use the 3D glasses or something?
I tried both with the video through the cart, and straight from the console; there was no difference either way.  The reason I'm using a SMS cart through through the Genesis, is that I plan on eventually getting a stand-alone SMS for the SG-1000 compatibility.  But until then, the Power Base Converter is all I have.

Offline mic_

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2012, 03:04:53 AM »
Which menu are you using? The original one with blue background / white text, or the updated one?

I'm just wondering what the reason for it not working on the PBC might be. The PBC has no BIOS that I know of, so it shouldn't be a checksum failure.
There are some subtle differences when it comes to the VDP, but the updated menu doesn't do anything that isn't supported by the Genesis VDP (AFAIK, since I don't have a PBC). I can't say for sure about the original menu.
Another potential difference could be the amount of power supplied to the cart when using a Master System VS a PBC.

Offline naI

• NEO newbie
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2012, 10:01:54 AM »
Which menu are you using? The original one with blue background / white text, or the updated one?

I'm just wondering what the reason for it not working on the PBC might be. The PBC has no BIOS that I know of, so it shouldn't be a checksum failure.
There are some subtle differences when it comes to the VDP, but the updated menu doesn't do anything that isn't supported by the Genesis VDP (AFAIK, since I don't have a PBC). I can't say for sure about the original menu.
Another potential difference could be the amount of power supplied to the cart when using a Master System VS a PBC.
I'm trying to use the new menu (with SD card support) on a Neo2-SD, but it's possible that I could've programmed it wrong.  I find the program interface very confusing and don't understand half the options.  Also, I follow the instructions on my friend's computer, but get timeout errors for the SL4 when it says the flashing process is around 97% completed.   ::sm-02::

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2012, 10:25:30 AM »
Remember that while the SMS Myth needs to be formatted in MD mode, you need to select the SEGA4 menu, not the MD menu (which comes up by default when you select MD Myth mode). Then do a fast format for both the menu and game flash. Then try it to see if the menu starts.

Another possibility is the Neo2-SD isn't making good contact in the Myth - Dr.neo has suggested sticking a little strip of paper between the PCB edge and the case to help it make better contact with the connector in the Myth in cases where the contact is bad.

Offline naI

• NEO newbie
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2012, 06:26:18 AM »
Remember that while the SMS Myth needs to be formatted in MD mode, you need to select the SEGA4 menu, not the MD menu (which comes up by default when you select MD Myth mode). Then do a fast format for both the menu and game flash. Then try it to see if the menu starts.
Do I select it in the BIOS path at the right side of the window, or somewhere else?

Offline mic_

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2012, 02:23:12 AM »
Do I select it in the BIOS path at the right side of the window

IIRC, yes (I don't have my cart here right now to check).

Offline naI

• NEO newbie
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2012, 11:06:41 AM »
Nope, no dice.  Sticking something in there to bend the connector into firmer contact didn't change anything either.  I'm using an official Power Base Converter (PCB) in an unmodded US-region Genesis 2 running off the official power supply.  If nothing's working, maybe I really do have to take the plunge and get a stand-alone Master System?

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2012, 08:48:26 AM »
No idea... I use mine in an SMS1 and don't have a PBC. Other than trying to clean the connector in the PBC, there's not much more I can suggest. If you knew someone with an SMS, you could try it on their system. That would certainly tell you something if it either worked or failed on that as well.

Offline naI

• NEO newbie
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2012, 05:47:18 AM »
Okay, I now have a SMS1, and it works!  However, when I use the Neo2 cartridge, it is very unstable and usually freezes before a game even loads, regardless of whether it's on the SD card or internal flash.  When I use the same menu on the 256 Meg flash cartridge, it always works flawlessly.  Do I need to do something different when programming, or is the menu just buggy with the Neo2-SD right now?

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2012, 12:15:36 PM »
No, that sounds like a bad connection between the Neo2-SD and the Myth. The menu SHOULD be just as stable on the Neo2-SD as with the 256Mb flash. There's something about the newer flash carts that makes them not fit the connectors as well as the old carts... I commonly have to use the paper-behind-the-edge trick to get them to work on any of the Myths. Maybe the tolerance on the plastic for the cases is not as tight as on the old flash carts. Or maybe it's the shape - look at the case for the 256Mb flash compared to the Neo2-SD... you can see they're just slightly different, and I think that's what may be causing the issues. Anywho, I use a printer label stuck on the back and reinsert the cart until it's stable, then leave it!  :P

Offline robneal81

• NEO newbie
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2012, 06:02:55 PM »
I'm interested in getting one of these, but I'm concerned about a few things and I was hoping someone could help:

- My SMS is hooked up via RGB.  Do I absolutely need to run the video through the NeoFlash, or could I just skip it?

- I can easily add an audio-out lead from the SMS' A/V port into the flash cart if it's required for mixing.  I could then just mod the RGB cable to pull audio from the NeoFlash instead of the A/V port.  Is that all I'd need?

- Is there a compatibility list for games?  I enjoy playing the 3D games, so it wouldn't be worth it to me if they're not compatible...I'd just get the Genesis NeoFlash instead and not have to worry about the extra cables.

- I have hundreds of SMS and GG roms and they're under 200MB.  Does this come with everything I'd need to load them all on, or would I need to buy something else?
http://www.ic2005.com/shop/product.php?productid=130&cat=3&page=1

- Is there an option to turn the FM sound on and off?

- This might be a really dumb question, but does this NeoFlash support sub-directories?  I like to keep my ROMS organized: "A-F", "G-M", etc.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2012, 09:11:10 PM »
I'm interested in getting one of these, but I'm concerned about a few things and I was hoping someone could help:

- My SMS is hooked up via RGB.  Do I absolutely need to run the video through the NeoFlash, or could I just skip it?

- I can easily add an audio-out lead from the SMS' A/V port into the flash cart if it's required for mixing.  I could then just mod the RGB cable to pull audio from the NeoFlash instead of the A/V port.  Is that all I'd need?

Only the audio is needed for mixing the FM. You can skip the video... for that matter, you could also skip the audio if you aren't interested in FM. I've run with the mixing lines not connected at all without issue (other than not hearing FM).

- Is there a compatibility list for games?  I enjoy playing the 3D games, so it wouldn't be worth it to me if they're not compatible...I'd just get the Genesis NeoFlash instead and not have to worry about the extra cables.

3D uses the card slot, while the Myth uses the cart port, so there shouldn't be any problems running 3D games.

As for other compatibility, I'm not sure if the odd Korean games work since they used a weird mapper. I need to try those some time. Otherwise, I haven't seen an issue other than those PAL games that don't work on NTSC SMS consoles (the ones that use the undocumented 224 tall display).

- I have hundreds of SMS and GG roms and they're under 200MB.  Does this come with everything I'd need to load them all on, or would I need to buy something else?
http://www.ic2005.com/shop/product.php?productid=130&cat=3&page=1

The cart included there is 256 Mbits, not MBytes. The ideal solution is to get a Neo2-SD cart and run them from an SD card.

- Is there an option to turn the FM sound on and off?

Yes. The default is on since it doesn't hurt anything to always have it on, but if you wish to turn it off to get that "sweet" PSG music on carts that give a choice, you can turn the FM off before starting the game.

- This might be a really dumb question, but does this NeoFlash support sub-directories?  I like to keep my ROMS organized: "A-F", "G-M", etc.

Only on browsing the SD card. The flash-only carts only support a single list of games since you cannot fit that many on the cart.

Offline robneal81

• NEO newbie
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2012, 10:01:05 PM »
Thanks so much for your reply!  Is this the "Neo2-SD cart" you were talking about?:

http://www.ic2005.com/shop/product.php?productid=41&page=1

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2012, 06:17:54 AM »
Thanks so much for your reply!  Is this the "Neo2-SD cart" you were talking about?:

http://www.ic2005.com/shop/product.php?productid=41&page=1

Yep! That's the one. The SMS Myth works with either the Neo2-SD or Neo2-Pro, but you don't need the extra zip ram in the Neo2-Pro (it's meant more for the N64 Myth), so you can go with the cheaper Neo2-SD.