Author Topic: Can't play 256mbit games from sd (Neo 2 Pro)  (Read 54473 times)

Offline kel

• NEO newbie
Re: Can't play 256mbit games from sd (Neo 2 Pro)
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2011, 04:30:23 AM »
Thanks for the new test firmware.

It is doing the same as before. It reaches all the way to the end of bank #2 then just hangs on the loading screen.

So I take it this is not good? If the core fails to identify the cart as 256Mb then does that mean the Neo2 Pro is faulty or the core or the Myth cart?

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2011, 08:42:17 PM »
Thanks for the new test firmware.

It is doing the same as before. It reaches all the way to the end of bank #2 then just hangs on the loading screen.

So I take it this is not good? If the core fails to identify the cart as 256Mb then does that mean the Neo2 Pro is faulty or the core or the Myth cart?

Typically it means that the psram offset setting failed and when writing anything after 16MB it simply wraps everything to top.If i had to guess i would say that its most likely an issue with the neo2 gba sd card.

Offline kel

• NEO newbie
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2012, 06:28:27 AM »
Good news, 256Mb ROMs from SD card are working for me now. I think the problem was possibly the 1.20 manager software because when I upgraded to 1.30 software and updated the menu with it the problem went away or it could have been the newer v6 firmware as opposed to the older v6 firmware that I flashed to the NEO Myth also. Either way 256Mb games are working from SD card again :)

Now I have another problem though. Saved games are not being saved to the SD card now for some reason. I'm using the latest menu 2.6b2 and I didn't have this problem before.

EDIT: Just noticed the new v7 NEO Myth firmware. I'm going to give that a try tomorrow and see if it helps.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 07:02:16 AM by kel »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2012, 09:22:13 AM »
There was a change in the way the menu flash was written to game flash that caused trouble with games larger than 16 MB (>128 Mbit). That was fixed fixed in newer versions of the menu, so you either need to use the newer menu or the OLDER PC client app.

I've seen a few reports of trouble with the game saving... I'll double-check the code to see if I can spot any problems.

Offline kel

• NEO newbie
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2012, 01:42:31 AM »
Thanks ChillyWilly I appreciate you looking into it for me.

I have flashed the v7 core to my NEO Myth now but it has not solved this problem though.

Does the saving process depend on the battery in either cart even if using reset to get back to the menu? I was just wondering if it could be something as simple as a dead battery.

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2012, 09:46:57 AM »
Thanks ChillyWilly I appreciate you looking into it for me.

I have flashed the v7 core to my NEO Myth now but it has not solved this problem though.

Does the saving process depend on the battery in either cart even if using reset to get back to the menu? I was just wondering if it could be something as simple as a dead battery.

Some settings are saved in the sram on the GBA cart. Not sure that would affect game save handling though, just the browser settings. I still need to look at it... I'm having trouble getting caught up with work after being sick last week or I'd have that done by now.  :-[

EDIT: Okay, checked the latest menu and save memory seems to save fine. Can you be more specific about what is not working?

Some points to make that were made a while back, but newer folks might not know...

1 - The save memory in the Myth uses a high-capacity capacitor rather than a battery. As such, it doesn't hold the save memory very long. The type of N64 cart plugged into the back of the Myth determines how fast the capacitor drains - some carts were found to drain the capacitor in less than a minute. As such, if you turn the N64 OFF and let it sit, the save memory will go dead after an unknown, but relatively short, period of time.

2 - The menu saves the save memory to SD when you boot the menu. Therefore, if you turn off the N64, wait until the save memory loses power, then turn it on, there will be nothing to save since it was lost due to the loss of power. To save the save memory intact, you need to reboot the menu before the save memory goes invalid. In general, always reset to the menu after playing a game, THEN turn off the power. That will insure the save memory is saved without loss.

3 - There is a write protect slide switch on the SD card. Make sure it is towards the connector edge to allow writing to the SD card.

4 - Many games don't use save memory, they use the mempak in the controller. To determine if a game uses save memory, press Z in the browser to see the cart options, one of which tells you if and what kind of save memory a game is known to use. Note, this data comes from a database of known games. If you are using homebrew, it won't know if the game uses save memory or not. In that case, consult the homebrew docs.

5 - If a game uses save memory, when you reboot to the menu, the save memory is saved to a file in "/menu/n64/save/name-of-cart.extension". The extension is set according to the type of save memory, being one of the following: .eep for eeprom, .sra for sram, and .fla for flash memory.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 11:04:36 AM by ChillyWilly »

Offline kel

• NEO newbie
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2012, 01:30:50 AM »
I first noticed the problem after updating the core to v6+, manager to 1.30 and menu to 2.6b2.

I noticed that my Mario64 save with 17 stars would not show up when I started the game which I still don't understand because I have no problem loading save games even now, it's just saving that is the problem. Anyway I've tried making a new save with just 1 star lots of times but every time I load the game again it has no save files.

I've tried deleting all saves in the save directory and then tried to save in a few games like Mario64, Zelda MM, Zelda OOT, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark (cartridge save) and it doesn't even create any files in the save directory.

I've made sure the write protect on the SD card is off and I always reset to menu after saving a game.

EDIT: I just tried going back to the v6 core and still no saves. I then flashed 2.4b1 menu and it seems to have saved ok on Mario64. IIRC though menu 2.4 and 2.5 will not run 256Mb games from SD card for me. Haven't got much time to test now so I will try to narrow it down more tomorrow.

EDIT 2: I've flashed menu 2.6b2 back on and no saves to SD again. also I noticed that on menu 2.6 if I don't put a game onto the flash memory then the menu gets stuck on "Couldn't find file: NEON64SD.v64" and won't go any further.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 07:44:13 PM by kel »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2012, 01:01:06 PM »
I first noticed the problem after updating the core to v6+, manager to 1.30 and menu to 2.6b2.

I noticed that my Mario64 save with 17 stars would not show up when I started the game which I still don't understand because I have no problem loading save games even now, it's just saving that is the problem. Anyway I've tried making a new save with just 1 star lots of times but every time I load the game again it has no save files.

When a game is run, the menu checks for an existing save memory file and loads it if it found. So it's not surprising that it loads if it doesn't save. SAVING is done when the menu is booted. The startup code in the menu checks for a file on the SD card that marks the last run rom, and if found tries to save the save memory. The last run file contains the name of the rom and flags telling the type of save memory to save.

I've tried deleting all saves in the save directory and then tried to save in a few games like Mario64, Zelda MM, Zelda OOT, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark (cartridge save) and it doesn't even create any files in the save directory.

I've made sure the write protect on the SD card is off and I always reset to menu after saving a game.

EDIT: I just tried going back to the v6 core and still no saves. I then flashed 2.4b1 menu and it seems to have saved ok on Mario64. IIRC though menu 2.4 and 2.5 will not run 256Mb games from SD card for me. Haven't got much time to test now so I will try to narrow it down more tomorrow.

EDIT 2: I've flashed menu 2.6b2 back on and no saves to SD again. also I noticed that on menu 2.6 if I don't put a game onto the flash memory then the menu gets stuck on "Couldn't find file: NEON64SD.v64" and won't go any further.

An old version of the menu in the N64 flash looks for NEON64SD.v64... newer ones look for z64 or v64.

It sounds like it's not writing the card for some reason, but it works fine for me. Try this - run a game that saves, turn off the N64, and look at /menu/n64/save. Do you see a file called "last.run"? If not, it's definitely not writing the card for some reason. If it IS there, post the file here so I can see the contents.

Offline kel

• NEO newbie
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2012, 07:46:30 PM »
I just played Mario64, got one star and then saved. I then turned the power switch off and on, let it load the menu and then put the SD card into my PC.

In the save folder which I emptied before I started it has created a last.run file but has not created a mario64.eep file for some reason.

I only mentioned about it looking for NEON64SD.v64 because I noticed that it would not stop looking for it if the file was not there but if I had a game flashed to the cart but boot to menu then it was fine. Not a big deal though, don't worry about it. I'm more concerned about the save issue.

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2012, 04:07:53 AM »
Okay, try this version. It remounts the SD explicitly right before trying to open last.run... just in case.

Offline kel

• NEO newbie
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2012, 05:16:40 AM »
That one worked great, thanks. Now I can start collecting those stars again on Mario64 :)

Do you have any idea what could have been causing not to read the last.run file, could it have been something to do with the SD card that I've been using?

The message "unknown byte format : 18000009" now appears when the menu is loaded. Although I'm not complaining as everything is working great now. Just thought I'd mention it incase it meant anything to you.

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2012, 06:13:32 AM »
That one worked great, thanks. Now I can start collecting those stars again on Mario64 :)

Do you have any idea what could have been causing not to read the last.run file, could it have been something to do with the SD card that I've been using?

The message "unknown byte format : 18000009" now appears when the menu is loaded. Although I'm not complaining as everything is working great now. Just thought I'd mention it incase it meant anything to you.

I've seen a card that SOMETIMES doesn't init properly the first time the N64 powers on. If you reset, it works fine, or if you try to init it TWICE, it comes up the second time. Probably has a long power-on delay until the card responds.

The message is from the game browser (flash or sd)... when it goes through the entries, it tries to determine what format the files are in (.v64, .z64, .n64... ). If it doesn't recognize the format for the entry, it prints that message briefly. That means you're looking at a file that isn't recognized. Right now, the only files recognized are NES games (with the standard header), GameGear games, and N64 games. Note - the NES and GG games require their respective emulators in the /menu/n64 directory to run.

Offline kel

• NEO newbie
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2012, 07:00:03 AM »
Thanks for your help anyway ChillyWilly. I can now play 256Mb games from SD and save also :)

I should probably stop being such a cheapskate and get a decent up to date SD card and maybe I wouldn't run into these problems :D.

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2012, 08:35:24 AM »
Thanks for your help anyway ChillyWilly. I can now play 256Mb games from SD and save also :)

I should probably stop being such a cheapskate and get a decent up to date SD card and maybe I wouldn't run into these problems :D.

Well, helping others fix these problems means maybe someone else doesn't run into them at all.  ;D

Offline suloku

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2017, 03:24:16 AM »
EDIT: OK, I've found the readme inside the Neo2 Pro Manager files and it states "If you have a Neo2-SD, the maximum is 16 MBytes.", I'm still puzzled about the 256-512 incoherence, but I won't complain about being able to boot the two 64 mB games or have two 32 mB at the same time so...

Hello and sorry for the revival. I've adquired a neo myth 64 with exactly the following NEO2 SD cart (at least the label):
http://www.neoflash.com/img/neo2-sd/NEO2-SD_Retail-5.JPG

I can't run 32 MB games from SD, but I suspect it is because SD games are written to the PSRAM (or zip RAM if I understand it well) and this cart only has 128 MB, so only up to 16 mB games can be run from SD. Neo2 Pro Manager also reports 128 PSRAM.

This is not really a problem, I just want to make sure, because the cart says it has a 256M ROM, but Neo2 Manager reports 512, and I've already successfully tested a 64mB game on it, although to make it run I had to manually change save type to NO SAVE or EXT CARD (which apparently writes to the SD, so that's a relief).

I haven't been able to find anywhere else and this thread seemed the propper location to ask.

ps: is there a way to make EXT CARD stay as default save location?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 04:38:43 AM by suloku »