Author Topic: [SNES] MazezaM Challenge  (Read 18705 times)

Offline alekmaul

• portabledev.com Webmaster
    • PortableDev
[SNES] MazezaM Challenge
« on: August 17, 2012, 03:51:48 AM »
For this retro entry, here is a game for the SuperFamicom console  :

Nickname: Alekmaul
Project Name: MazezaM Challenge
Division: GAME
Platform: SNES
Original Enter: YES
Support Motion: NO
In last NEO Compo this project have won in the top 10: NO

;D MazezaM Challenge (pronounced "may-zam") is a simple puzzle game based on MazezaM
from Malcolm Tyrrell.

You enter the mazezam on the left and you have to get to the exit on the right by
pushing rows of blocks left and right. If you get stuck you can retry the mazezam,
but this will cost you a life.   8)

Screenshots :

Of course, it works on real hardware (tested by a friend on real SNES) and it works great with SFC/SNES Myth card as you can see here :

The game is shipped with a real retro style manual  ~sm-67.gif~.gif :

and can be flash on real cartridge  ~sm-67.gif~.gif :

You can download it here V1.1 *EDIT* : MazezaM Version 1.1

Video : http://youtu.be/9F9ELZX_brI

Really great thanks Kung Fu Furby for music.
Great thanks to MonsieurL too, for his help regarding my poor graphics skills ;)

This homebrew was made with PVSnesLib http://www.portabledev.com/pages/snes/pvsneslib.php
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 01:02:55 PM by alekmaul »

Offline KungFuFurby

• NEO newbie
Re: [SNES] MazezaM Challenge
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 06:41:27 AM »
Smiley penguin!  ::sm-29.gif:: Now this one I can safely say is my first music work for a real SNES game that has ever been released (I wish I could say Uwol was the first, but I have yet to see that one publically released).

You accidentally have a reference to UWOL in the readme.txt file, and it reads "How tu use UWOL". I think you meant "How to use MazezaM".  ::sm-23.gif::

Oh, how I love that SNESMod...  ~sm-43.gif~  ...actually, I've recently gotten away with porting a couple others to my computer lately! I now have SNESMod's predecessor, XMSNES, and it2nsf ported over, and thus I am now capable of making real NES music, too!  ::sm-18.gif::

Now I need to make sure to keep my head together, because there is a second SNES submission that I am making an appearance for in terms of music, and right now I got a case of mixed up shipments that is in the process of being resolved.  ::sm-02::

Offline rust

• NEO newbie
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 10:17:15 AM »
Awesome, was this created using your PVSNESLib ?

Offline alekmaul

• PortableDev
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 12:28:51 PM »
Yes, made with PVSnesLib :)
Thanks for the readme pb Kung Fu Furby

Offline KungFuFurby

• NEO newbie
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 10:49:41 PM »
And now comes a bug report from me. The sound effects failed to load properly the first go round during the cave levels. A lookup of the hex code tells me it was probably more of an accidental mixup in the ordering between loading sound effects and the music. As a matter of fact, the cave music is accidentally loaded twice, which means it doesn't play at all (that one's just a coincidence, but regardless of case, you still lost the SFX).  ::sm-16.gif::

Upon further analysis... it would appear that you are loading the sound effects first, than the music, causing the glitch. I can easily tell where the sound effects are loaded in SPC700 memory is dependent on what piece of music is currently loaded.

~sm-58.gif~.gif

Offline alekmaul

• PortableDev
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 01:01:12 PM »
ok, 1st post edited with bug fixing.
Also, a little video about gameplay : http://youtu.be/9F9ELZX_brI

Offline genecyst

• NEO newbie
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 12:19:24 AM »
hi, how much does this cost? i want one.

Offline alekmaul

• PortableDev
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 01:00:22 PM »
hi, how much does this cost? i want one.
Sorry, what are you talking about, a real cartdrige with MazezaM ?
If that's the case, there is no realcartridge currently abvailable, but as I post in the beginning of this thread, you can do your cartmod with it if you want.

Offline genecyst

• NEO newbie
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 05:40:46 PM »
i red "shipped with retro style manual" and i thought you were workin on a real cart release of the game.
very good stuff anyway.

Offline alekmaul

• PortableDev
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 08:08:26 PM »
ah ok, the manual is inside the zip file, it's a pdf file  ~sm-58.gif~.gif, not a 'real' paper version  ~sm-80.gif~.gif

Offline genecyst

• NEO newbie
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 10:15:58 PM »
:D i haven't unzipped the package, the emulator read it well even compressed so i haven't seen the manual!  ::sm-01::

Offline Feel

• NEO newbie
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 11:52:56 PM »
Hi!

Great game, Alekmaul, j'aime beaucoup !

Being a fan of games like Kwirk and Boxxle, I immediately wanted to make a repro of it. And here it is, my MazezaM Challenge cartmod:

http://feel-my-geek.com/2012/08/cartmod-mazezam-challenge-snes/

Offline alekmaul

• PortableDev
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 03:44:53 AM »
oh my god ....  ~sm-55.gif~.gif THIS is the REASON WHY i'm making homebrews, viewing such things !
Thanks a lot for that, this end of this day is now a great day !
But ... You must know that the actual version has some bugs that I fixed now, so PLEASE, wait a little and I will release a brand new version soon.
Thanks a lot for the post, my night will be with sweet dreams  :-*

Offline Feel

• NEO newbie
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012, 04:13:09 AM »
Glad you like it.

What kind of bugs are we talking about?

I've used the 1.1 rom, by the way.

Offline KungFuFurby

• NEO newbie
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2012, 08:59:17 AM »
Well, it's a sound bug. The bug is pretty severe. It's a sound effect bug that occurs when the cave level music is played. The SFX is glitched there due to where it ends up being loaded in the memory location. It is lost to the echo buffer.  ???  ::sm-03::

Although it would have been curable with a simple switcheroo of the ordering between loading SFX and music, it just so happens that there was an internal bug on the SNESMod side that managed to jam things up due to a sample array misalignment when I attempted to do so the correct way.  :-\ I have since fixed the bug, and even reported the bug to the original developer, mukunda, and mukunda has also fixed it via svn.mukunda.com .  8)

Version 1.1 doesn't quite fix the bug... it does fix a bug where the cave music is accidentally loaded twice and doesn't play at all. I myself came up with a solution without directly modifying the original SNESMod code to circumnavigate the bug. The SFX will be a bit later in the memory, but it will not be lost to the echo buffer.  ^-^