Author Topic: N64 flash cart photo will upload soon  (Read 45537 times)

Offline Dr.neo

• Administrator
N64 flash cart photo will upload soon
« on: June 01, 2009, 01:53:43 AM »
N64 flash cart photo will upload soon  ~sm-42.gif~
In my world,have 0 and 1 only ......Matrix World......

Offline Dr.neo

• Administrator
Re: N64 flash cart photo will upload soon
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 03:09:18 AM »
the NEO N64 Myth cart first SPEC:

* support the rom up to 512M

* support all save type except the flash save,we are working with it still,should ready soon

* support over 99% games

* download games from USB to NEO2 cart directly

* upload/overwrite game save to PC via USB directly

* can use on any N64 console, just need insert any one N64 cart for boot

ok lets go, but now install the case yet, the case need some modification   ~sm-44.gif~

« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 03:23:31 AM by Dr.neo »
In my world,have 0 and 1 only ......Matrix World......

Offline smealum

• Neo-Newbie
    • Smea's DevBlog
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 03:58:23 AM »
Finally ! Great work.  8)

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 04:13:38 AM »
Wow!!!!!!!!!11 ::sm-18.gif::

Can't believe it  ::sm-02:: , this is going to be the BEST THING that's going to happen in 2009. ~sm-42.gif~ ~sm-33.gif~ ::sm-29.gif::

EDIT!!

A question:
* can use on any N64 console, just need insert any one N64 cart for boot

That means that we just load up one of our games , and then we switch it with NEO CART?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 04:15:47 AM by Conle »

Offline amptor

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 04:47:49 AM »
Wow I want that.

Does it support multiple games or do you only load one game at a time?
Will the kit come with that flash card or is it separate?

Also what is that red plastic on the N64 console? I have seen those before, but mine doesn't have it.  I have the 4 megabyte expansion card installed in mine but I have the black cover the N64 console came with.

Offline DjoeN

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 05:28:38 AM »
This is awesome, can't wait to lay my hands on this baby :)

Got my N64 still hooked on my TV, so... :)
Father, The Sleeper Has Awaken!
He Who Controls The Spice, Controls The Universe!

Offline wraggster

• DCEmu Homebrew Network
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 05:33:07 AM »
i cant wait either, for both snes and n64

Webmaster of DCEmu

The Worlds Only Homebrew and Gaming Network Covering All Consoles.

Offline RGB_Gamer

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 05:59:40 AM »
I will believe it when I see it. The MD Myth cart has been delayed for years, and so has the NES flash cart.

Offline schmake

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 06:34:33 AM »
Looks very interesting, I'm wondering however do you need a different boot cart for each boot IC or is there some kind of boot emulation crack similar back to the day in the N64 scene.
Either way, I'm looking forward to a release  8)

Offline RGB_Gamer

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 02:00:50 PM »
Dr Neo,

Will you be able to use a Neo2 SD flash cart with this?

Offline radorn

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2009, 06:57:14 PM »
I'm happy to see this thing is still in the release plan, but I really have to disagree with the dessign decission to use a GBA cart as storage.

In my opinion, the BEST (CHEAPER, FASTER, most FLEXIBLE and most DURABLE) solution would be a hybrid dessign with RAM and a memory card slot (either SD or CF would be fine).
RAM is cheaper, faster and infinitelly more durable than Flash, which has a significative rewritability limit. If that flash memory is inside the cart, or, like in this case, inside of another different but equally rare and proprietary cart, you have to replace it and that probably won't be possible forever. On the other hand, if that flash memory is in a STANDARD FORM FACTOR, like SD or CF that will be available at retail for a foreseable future, then it's not a big deal. You buy another and that's it.
Also, having RAM in the cart would eliminate all technical problems found in devices that use the a CF or SD card directly, like slowdowns caused by the flashcard's speed being lower than the original cart's mask ROM, other slowdowns and compatibility problems caused by the need to use a loader that is copied into RAM and is an straneous element to the game (designed to be the ONLY thing that controls the console).
With such a hybrid RAM+flashcard dessign, you would have a menu loaded at power-on, and you would select a ROM image stored in the flashcard's filesystem, which would be copied into RAM and run from there, without any other interefering and bug inducing straneous elements.
Additionally, such a setup would enable to have more than one rom withouth having to reflash a cart each time, built in save file management, and many other possible functions.
A simple onboard loading program coupled with an upgradeable system menu in the flash card could bring any kind of possiblilities.

I guess that you have this almost finished by now, but, please, consider this.

EDIT: Additionally, having separated RAM for ROM loading, and the card's filesystem as a means of storage, could be used not only for the menu to load ROM images from it into RAM, but also for RAM resident programs to have a filesystem reader and access the card. This would be really great for homebrew development.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 08:54:39 PM by radorn »
My report posts: N64
My new blog about N64 and the MYTH cart (just starting)

Offline amptor

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2009, 04:09:26 AM »
Ugh don't make him delay it any more than it already has.

I'm assuming that it may have RAM built in because that flash card probably has an SD slot and I've been reading that CF is a lot better for these types of things.  So he might be transferring from SD to RAM and then you power the N64 deck on and the game runs.  Otherwise, I'm not really sure if SD can handle this type of operation.

Also it looks like it might have electrolytic capacitors.  If solid capacitors could replace those, that might be a better option.  They cost about the same and in mass quantities, it wouldn't alter the cost.

I hope this comes out soon, I've been trying out some new stuff on my V64 but I'm always praying that it doesn't break every time I turn on my N64.  Dr. Neo's product is superior to Bung's.

Oh and I did some searching on that red plastic thing.  Apparantly Dr. Neo has a 3rd party 4mb jump pak installed for some reason.  Interesting since it's easy to find 1st party ones.  However the quality is probably the same, 4 meg isn't much :)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 04:12:43 AM by amptor »

Offline radorn

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2009, 11:07:18 AM »
amptor, I'm pretty sure that this design was explained earlier to use the NOR Flash in the NEO2 directly. You may have to look into the other threads.
My report posts: N64
My new blog about N64 and the MYTH cart (just starting)

Offline amptor

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2009, 02:47:26 PM »
amptor, I'm pretty sure that this design was explained earlier to use the NOR Flash in the NEO2 directly. You may have to look into the other threads.

Yeah I think you're right, I think I saw something mentioned about that somewhere.

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2009, 05:37:37 PM »

If this goes well(which will do!!!!!!111 O0O) im sure they will upgrade the hardware in the future! >:( ...