Author Topic: contest: NDS GAME - Antarex - By: Pocket_Lucho  (Read 12490 times)

Offline pocket_lucho

contest: NDS GAME - Antarex - By: Pocket_Lucho
« on: August 10, 2005, 01:24:59 AM »
---------------------------------
AntareX DS
by thelucho2@gmail.com
---------------------------------

Description : Antarex is a classic space shot'em'up with some differences. Your ship can be in two colors ( like ikaruga ), red and blue. You can only destroy enemies of different color than you ( ex: if you are blue, yo ONLY destroy red enemies ) and you can only be destroyed by enemies bullets of the opposite color. Collisions with enemies ALWAYS destroys you ;).

You can choose between four control modes in the start menu:

First, classic mode, move your ship with the D-pad, fire with B and change color with A, L and R buttons.

Left Handed mode, move your ship with B, A, X, Y buttons, fire with Down and change color with Right, L and R buttons. For left-handed people  ;D

Third, Stylus mode, move the ship with the stylus, fire with B and Down, change color with Right, A, L and R buttons ( left-handed / right-handed ).

You can change modes with select in pause mode.

Last mode, 2 players in one console, 1P moves with D-pad and fires with L ( automatic fire ), 2P moves with B, A, X, Y and fires with R ( automatic fire ). In 2 players mode, one player is red and other is blue, no color change  :o

Finally I want to thank doublec for his tutorials , all drunken coders staff for the ndslib, mollusk fot the PA_lib, Damian Yerrick for the GBFS, DekuTree64 for the modlib... and a lot more of people that I forgot   :P

« Last Edit: August 10, 2005, 01:32:28 AM by pocket_lucho »

Offline pocket_lucho

Re: contest: NDS GAME - Antarex - By: Pocket_Lucho
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 01:28:05 AM »
Antarex.ds.gba.rar is the neoflash version with sfx and music, I don´t have a neoflash but I think that woks.

Antarex.nds.rar is the wifi/emulator version, works very well with Dualis. Only music, GBFS crases all emus

Offline Dr.neo

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2005, 01:34:40 AM »
wooooo.....cooooooooooool!

very nice and can 2 play! ;D
In my world,have 0 and 1 only ......Matrix World......

Offline Kinnikinnick

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2005, 06:19:47 AM »
Looks pretty! Neet premise of two color fighting... I hope it has walls soon.

My friend had an idea that I'm sure he would not mind I give you.
To move the ship you must touch it with the stylus and drag it around the screen. Thus, the only limit on your crafts speed is how fast you can move the stylus without loosing contact.  Then, to make up for the easy controls, you must make the game that much more difficult.

My addition was that the game should be both top down scrolling + *side scrolling*! In side mode there would be gravity affecting bullets and falling things, so to look at it "properly" you would need to turn your DS on IT's side. (90deg clockwise if your left handed, counter if right. with an option to mirror for oposite hands.)

We like weird games   :D

Offline pocket_lucho

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2005, 10:48:44 PM »
Thank you for your comments.   :D

To Kinnikinnick, very interesting ideas, don´t mind of posting more  ::)

Offline rize

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2005, 12:02:38 AM »
Pro's:

-The art is very, very nice (although you'd want more than just stars and ships eventually)  :)

-Two player mode using two sides of the DS is a very cool idea.  I think there was a gamecube game that enabled 8 players in this way. 

-Stylus control is really cool!  Although you should make both up and down fire and perhaps just L change colors.  Up seemed natural to me since it's the direction I intended to fire the lasers.  Also, you should make the ship move to wherever the stylus is tapped instead of making the player tap the stylus on the ship to grab it.

-Music! (I didn't/don't expect many demos to have music, perhaps I will be proven wrong).

Con's:

-The concept, so far is taken pretty much straight from Ikaruga, and that's a very tough standard to live up to.

-In 2 player mode since the ships can't change color, the design possibilities are somewhat limited (in Ikaruga there were places where a player could not survive without changing color).  Maybe you can have some combo like a double tap of the down button to switch colors.

-It's very difficult to play on both screens together.

-Could the ship move a tiny bit faster in regular control mode to keep up with the stylus?

-Shrink the hit detection box around the ship some.  It's too big.  I'm dying when the upper left corner of my ship's box (black space) collides with the lower right corner of the enemy ships (also black space).

Very nice start though!  Now if I can just live long enough to kill that boss 8)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2005, 12:04:58 AM by rize »

Offline macabre26

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2005, 12:20:01 AM »
I haven't played this yet, but I'm a big fan of this style of game.  From the sounds of it, its exactly what I've been looking for; An arcade shooter with touch screen moving.  All I wanted to note is that I agree with having to 'grab' the ship with the stylus instead of just tap somewhere else.  Now on the other hand I just came up with another idea, how about by pressing down somewhere else, the ship moves in that direction very slowly, thereby making it easier to move the ship slowly w/o obstructing the screen.

One other question, is it Left hand compatable, aka, in stylus mode can you use either hand.  I only ask because I'm left handed, and I've been *really*impressed with the left handed options in commercial games.

Offline rize

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2005, 12:46:57 AM »
Well I suppose I can answer that.  Yes, stylus mode works with either hand automatically (the face buttons mirror the control of the d-pad in stylus mode)

Offline macabre26

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2005, 01:00:52 AM »
alrighty, thanks :).  I've been kinda worried about how people on the homebrew scene were gonna work left and right handed in.  Only cuz most of the gaming scene has been right hand orientated since day 1.  But cool, I can't wait to try out this game :)

Offline macabre26

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2005, 02:01:50 AM »
hoi, don't I look like a n00b now...  Well I finally read the post... Um, now my only problem is that I'm not supposed to be installing new progs on this computer, so even the neo drivers are goin a bit far... so unfortunatley I can't play *any* of these new games until I get home next week :'( just cuz its rar'd isntaed of zip'd...

Offline pocket_lucho

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2005, 02:48:57 AM »
To rize: the lack of graphics is because the competition deadline ( only 2 enemies, a boss and 2 backgrounds jeje ). Want you fire with up? Ok ( I I intended to fire the lasers with down first time ;) ). I prefeer having to 'grab' the ship with the stylus instead of just tap somewhere ( more difficult to program ) because it isn´t fair with the other control modes.

In 2 player mode, you can´t change color because: first, the lack of buttons, second, I think it´s interesting that each player has to kill a part of enemies and avoiding the other, and third, 2 ships of the same color can confuse the players -> solution, 2 different ships for each player. At the beggining, the players have separate lives but I think share lives makes that if a player dies, the other player could player could not survive survive much more time.

I don´t think that It's very difficult to play on both screens together, I finish the stage 1 with the 3 lives !

The ****py colision box is because the deadline and you are right with the speed.

to macabre26: yes, stylus mode is left-handed friendly. Sorry for the rar format. I already attached the zip

Offline rize

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2005, 03:06:50 AM »
"I prefeer having to 'grab' the ship with the stylus instead of just tap somewhere ( more difficult to program ) because it isn´t fair with the other control modes."

This is true.  However, in my opinion you should focus on the best control mode rather than limit the usefulness of one to fit with the other.  If you're going to optimize the game for the d-pad, then don't bother with touch control (although it's a cool little experiment).

And ikaruga solved the two ships problem by simply making the physical shape different.

Anyway, I found that if I put the DS really far away from me (at arms length rather than right up to my face as I usually play) then I can see the whole field better.  I'm going to take another crack at that boss now :)

Offline bangingloe

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2005, 08:08:37 PM »
. . : : YEEEEEEEAAAAAHHHHHH! : : . .

Very cooool!  If I had to decide on a winner, without a doubt I choose this game.  The ships seems very clear.  I mainly like the possibility of being able to use the touch screen to be able to move the ship with greater speed and comfort, it is really an advantage. :o

The models of the ships and the heads are very elaborated, note that you have dedicated time to it, are beautifull to me! ::)

It is not an easy game, it is necessary to be kind to that type of ship you want to demolish and to the colors, the heads are really dificult to destroy, which causes that the game is but addictive.  The music beats enough to the game and it does not become heavy.  Congratulations!  You have created a game really cool for the NDS!! 8)

Offline TontoElPijo

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2005, 01:46:17 AM »
I like it... its very original... its like i usually say... "Esta debutis"
U got my vote man  ;D

Offline rize

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2005, 04:34:39 AM »
Very original?  Seriously, have you never heard of Ikaragu?  If you can find a copy for Dreamcast or GameCube try it out.  This game is really not original at all unless you count the touch controls.