Author Topic: GBFS on NEOFlash ?  (Read 9571 times)

Offline genfish

GBFS on NEOFlash ?
« on: February 27, 2006, 12:31:21 AM »
 has anyone managed to get GBFS working for the DS on the neoflash kit?

i have been working non stop for about 2 weeks, and i couldnt get it to work. It wouldnt work in any emulators either, then i tried DeSuME and it seemed to work. Has anyone tried GBFS with the neoflash kit, and have u had any problems such as this, and maybe the solution?

thanks

>:(

Offline 68HC11

Re: GBFS on NEOFlash ?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006, 03:53:47 AM »
Are you trying to get it work from the Flashcart end or from the SD card end?  Using the demo source provided in the original topic (see attachment), I compiled it, flashed it to the cart (instead of using a normal Neoflash loader), and it worked right off the bat, copying "test.bin" or whatever to and from the SD card.  Some followup experiments with directory switching and other things worked as well.

Offline cory1492

• Neo MOD
    • Cory1492's NDS + PSP corner
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 07:26:55 AM »
Genfish, I can confirm GBFS is working on the NeoFlash flashcart but does not work when using it from a SD/MMC card in the MK2/3.

One thing to try, make sure you use the ds.gba burned to the cart wrather than the .nds - and dsemu by chris double does have support for appended file systems like GBFS (last time I checked at any rate).

68HC11: GBFS is different from the FAT driver, it is an appended file system by tepples at GBAdev, so that you can store files with the binaries like a DS ROM does (sort of) and not need to limit the file size to that of the DS memory. It is read only too.
Those who have come here to hate should leave now, for in their hatred they only betray themselves.
translated from The Book of Life (Src: Sword of Truth - Phantom by Terry Goodkind)

Offline 68HC11

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 10:18:05 PM »
Oops, sorry, confused the two.  Well, still, why not use the FAT Driver with the MK3, if you own one?  :P

Anyway, in theory, if all it is is a ROM attachment accessed by an address, it should work no different than GBA... IIRC, doesn't it even hunt the entire ROM space looking for it?  Sounds like it should work just fine on any flashcart in DS or GBA mode.

Offline genfish

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2006, 12:51:31 AM »
well i got it working in dualis emulator, and on the gbadev forums they said the code looks ok, so i wondered if it wasnt compatible  :-\

Offline cory1492

• Neo MOD
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2006, 05:40:46 AM »
Try to dsbuild the .nds file to get a ds.gba file to burn to the cart. That should work if you dont put anything else on the cart.
Those who have come here to hate should leave now, for in their hatred they only betray themselves.
translated from The Book of Life (Src: Sword of Truth - Phantom by Terry Goodkind)

Offline genfish

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2006, 10:48:08 PM »
then just use the Neo Power Kit as normal to transfer the image?

Offline cory1492

• Neo MOD
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2006, 10:50:04 PM »
yep. If you still have a problem look for "padbin" in the gbadev forum, I beleive that the GBFS has padded to be aligned to 16bit boundaries or similar to work properly since the GBA bus does 16 bit reads.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 10:52:17 PM by cory1492 »

Offline genfish

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2006, 11:09:25 PM »
Yeah thats what i do,

1. compile the .nds
2. compile the .gbfs
3. padbin the .nds (256)
4. then append the gbfs to the nds using cat
5. then use dsbuild to make the .ds.gba

wouldnt work for some reason, but works in dualis (sometimes) lol

Offline 68HC11

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2006, 04:05:59 AM »
Yeah thats what i do,

1. compile the .nds
2. compile the .gbfs
3. padbin the .nds (256)
4. then append the gbfs to the nds using cat
5. then use dsbuild to make the .ds.gba

wouldnt work for some reason, but works in dualis (sometimes) lol

One possiblity is that dsbuild is stripping your GBFS.  (I'm not sure, but it's possible!)  Since this is only intended to run from ROM space anyway, there shouldn't be any harm in moving steps 3 and 4 to be after step 5, i.e.

1. compile the .nds
2. compile the .gbfs
3. then use dsbuild to make the .ds.gba
4. padbin the .ds.gba (256)
5. then append the gbfs to the nds using cat

That might work better.

Offline genfish

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2006, 08:47:20 PM »
oh, i never thought of that, ill give it a shot today, thanks

Offline genfish

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2006, 10:58:40 PM »
just gave it a quick shot, and it didnt work  :'(

never mind, i can use dualis for the minute for testing and worry about this later. If anyone has any more thoughts, please let me know :)

Offline genfish

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2006, 03:43:01 AM »
Ah... just written a batch file to do what 68HC11 said, and it worked!

So if your wondering about this, read what he put :)

Offline cory1492

• Neo MOD
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2006, 10:06:58 AM »
Glad you got it sorted Genfish.

Offline 68HC11

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2006, 07:46:01 AM »
No problem, Genfish.  Glad I could help.  I'll have to remember this little caveat myself when it comes to appending data.