Author Topic: NeoFlash 3 in 1 & GBA games  (Read 11361 times)

Offline ementat

NeoFlash 3 in 1 & GBA games
« on: February 27, 2006, 04:57:25 AM »
Please help, or clarify my point of view,

I have purchased NeoFlash 3 in 1 with 512 Mb flash card. I don't have Nintendo DS system - just GameBoy Advance SP. And primary use of NeoFlash will be GBA SP in the future. So, the question is:

Is there working solution for storing multiple GBA games on card with working SMS saving system.

As I figured out:

- Neo Power kit 2.2 or 2.1 - does not provide such functions. Only loader with GBA game selection. Saves from different games sometimes messing up.

- Neo Max 1.5 - simply not working. Can not format card sometimes, sometimes hangs on writing roms, always hangs when I press detect button.

- XG2Pro 1.0 v6 - can not find my card at all.

- PogoShell 2.0 beta 4 - does not support NeoFlash. PogoShell starts, but the selection of any GBA game just relaunches the pogoshel...

Can somebody tell me is there no doubt working solution for NeoFlash and GBA SP or not? Thanks in advance!

With best regards, Dmitry.

Offline bruceg

• NEO Tester
Re: NeoFlash 3 in 1 & GBA games
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006, 07:11:00 AM »
Yes, there is a working solution for gba, and it looks like you've already researched all the viable options.

As you said, NPK is not good for gba saving because it lacks SMS support.

Neomax and XG Pro software do support SMS.  I'm not positive about Neomax 1.5, but XG Pro should at least be compatible with the Neoflash cart and the game boy advance (a previous poster got the SMS saves to function, running XG Pro on his gba)

It sounds more like you are having either a software or detection problem with your Slimloader/cart not being recognized properly.  Though you aren't having any problems with Neo Power Kit finding your cart, is that right?

Sounds like you have the latest version of XG Pro.   Maybe just to test, try uninstalling NPK, Neomax, and XG Pro completely (assuming they're all installed), and re-install the XG Pro software again by itself. 

Also, do you have access to another computer?? (it's good to test on another system to try to eliminate computer specific issues)

BruceG
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 07:24:52 AM by bruceg »

Offline ementat

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006, 02:03:16 AM »
Ok, I think i have found some facts about not working XG2Pro software.

I deinstalled everything from my computer - Neo Power Kit, Neo Max, XG2Pro. Performed the manual Slim Loader III drivers installation with full cleanup from the previous version. Installed XG2Pro 1.0 v6 and...

- Pressing detect button shows me "Unknown Card" dialog.
 - Pressing format button shows "Not find Catridge !" dialog

I updated driver to the version that is in the Neo Power Kit installation. The same result - unknown card.

And finally I tried the X2USB.dll from the Neo Power Kit. I placed it in %systemdir%\system32\ and registered it with regsvr32.exe. The result is different: now XG2Pro just hangs when I try to format cart - sometimes at the end of format, sometimes at the beginning. If I press the detect button - XG2Pro hangs always.

So, as I can see - the problem is with the software combination. Old X2USB.dll from the v6 of XG2Pro do not understand my NeoFlash 512Mb cart, and the new version of X2USB.dll somehow works, but XG2Pro hangs constantly.

Just to summarize - Neo Power Kit works with my cart - no problems. I can write/remove games to the cart and neoboot loader works in my GBA SP, but - no SMS support :-( And XG2Pro - unusable at that moment due to comapatibilty issues in software (???).

Any solutions? Maybe some mix of *.dll's from different versions of software?

Regards, Dmitry.

Offline Kushan

• Neo-Newbie
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2006, 02:50:38 AM »
I think someone once said that when you plug in the Slimloader, make sure the flash cart is NOT plugged in or XG doesn't recognise it.

Offline ementat

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2006, 03:11:59 AM »
If the cart is unplugged then XG2Pro simply refusing to detect it later when I plug it in to the Slim Loader.

Offline bruceg

• NEO Tester
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2006, 10:47:17 AM »
I don't think it's generally a good idea to mix dynamic load library files, as that can cause other problems.  I'll ask cory1492, since he's way more familiar with the details of the XG2 Pro software.

As far as the neomax software, it's still being developed, so I would wait for a future version, since flashcart compatibility is one area that generally sees improvement.

BruceG
« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 10:49:16 AM by bruceg »

Offline ementat

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2006, 03:04:45 PM »
Thanks,

I tried another test today - I installed XG2Pro 1.0 v6 on my work computer - the same problem - software hangs when I press detect button, format do not work and so on... But, anyway, Neo Power Kit still works fine with my cart, but lacks SMS support. Waiting for the next version of software...

Offline bruceg

• NEO Tester
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2006, 05:53:30 AM »
Yeah,

It's very strange... since it does seem like it's a XG2 Pro software issue causing the problem (though, it worked  fine with another poster who also has a Neoflash 3 in 1 -- he just couldn't get the software to remember his saves because he needed to put a new battery into the cart (I don't think it comes with one installed, so don't forget to do that if you haven't already).

Normally, people can't get ANY program to detect their carts (which turns out to be an issue with the chipset/usb controller/ports) -- a usb 2.0 pci card usually fixes that since it provides a cleaner signal.  In your case, Neo Power Kit is working perfectly, so that doesn't seem to be the problem...

I'm just waiting to hear back from cory to see if he can figure it out...

BruceG

« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 05:57:14 AM by bruceg »

Offline cory1492

• Neo MOD
    • Cory1492's NDS + PSP corner
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2006, 11:55:44 PM »
Im burning aria of sorrow and golden sun to my NeoFlash 512 right now with NeoMax 1.5...

Which software did you use to install the initial USB driver for your slim loader? I cleaned everything off mine when I got the slim loader 4 here to test, and used the USB driver from neo power kit 2.1, later updated with neo power kit 2.2 (it does its own update of the .sys driver when you install the software).

Remove everything, NPK, XGpro, NeoMax, uninstall the driver and clear the inf files like it says in the FAQ, kill the files they all put into the .dll dir if uninstalling the program didnt remove them and try again, start with installing NPK 2.1 (for your slim loader version) and plug in your slim loader and use the driver from its USB directory. Then install NeoMax. If you do it in this order everything should work well together.

I plugged in the slim loader then put the cart in, then started NeoMax 1.5 and it asked me "cartridge not formatted, would you like to format?" I clicked yes, and picked GBA loader and it formatted it. I then added 2 rom files and clicked "multi-rom" to burn them, and it is working great in my GBA and DS in GBA mode.

Also note, that in GBA mode I find the NeoMax app to be more visually usable than the XGpro was... I never did clean out everything and try going back to xgpro with the neoflash 512 though.

* to uninstall NPK
run the installer and when it asks click the uninstall option
* to uninstall NeoMax or XGpro
run the uninstall utility it installed with the programs
Those who have come here to hate should leave now, for in their hatred they only betray themselves.
translated from The Book of Life (Src: Sword of Truth - Phantom by Terry Goodkind)

Offline ementat

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2006, 08:48:43 PM »
I tried as you desribed in your post:

- uninstalled all software from my PC. Manually removed Slim Loader driver from the system and rebooted.

- I installed Neo Power Kit 2.2 for USB slim loader III, installed driver for my slim loader and then installed Neo Max 1.5 software.

And after all I have the same issues with the Neo Max software. I plugged in USB slim loader III, plugged in to it NeoFlash cart and launched Neo Max software. When i press Detect button Neo Max hangs - the only result i can see is - Card Type 8 message in the log window, and slim loader flashes once with green light. When i try to format flash cart - sometimes Neo Max hangs when i press Format button, sometimes i can see progress bar and when it comes to 100% Neo Max hangs - i see no activity on slim loader and Neo Max software not responding.

Only once i got positive result - i formatted my flash cart, Neo Max hangs at the end of formatting, but then i closed Neo Max unplugged slim loader, plugged it back, launched Neo Max pressed Detect and it worked! I see Cart Type 8, free ram on the cart, SMS size and so on. I added 2 games and pressed multi-rom, but process hangs :-(

Neo Power Kit 2.2 works great - I can add several games, burn then, delete them and so on - after writing to the cart all games works great on my GBA SP with neoboot loader.

So as I can see - the problem is with Neo Max software.

Maybe there is debug version of it? So I can send some logs or additional information to you helping to resolve that issue?

Offline cory1492

• Neo MOD
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2006, 10:49:27 AM »
"Card Type 8" is how my NeoFlash 512 is detected, and this is all it says about the Neo 512. This one is working perfectly, using either the slim loader 3 or 4 that I have here.

NeoMax is buggy at this point (unfortunately), though it does seem very odd that it is only happening with the XGpro/NeoMax software as both NPK and NeoMax rely on the same DLL files to talk to the carts.

The only suggestions I can give to your end (and I always cringe when I make it) is to try on a different PC and see if the issue persists on a PC that has never had the Neo software on it. Unfortunately there is no debug version that I am aware of, but perhaps I can forward this thread to a relevant person who can debug it.  Also, if you are any good with solder, take a close look at the USB connection to the PCB (the one on my slim loader was not great and replacing it sped up the device signifigantly)

PS- I always plug my cart in before plugging the slim loader in, less detect problem in NeoPowerKit that way.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2006, 10:54:44 AM by cory1492 »
Those who have come here to hate should leave now, for in their hatred they only betray themselves.
translated from The Book of Life (Src: Sword of Truth - Phantom by Terry Goodkind)

Offline bruceg

• NEO Tester
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2006, 10:53:19 AM »
hey ementat,

That system you tested at work, is it the same or similar to the one you are using at home?

BruceG

Offline ementat

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2006, 04:22:38 PM »
No, the computer at work is completly different. It is Intel CPU based, with the motherboard based on Intel chipset and my home computer is Athlon XP from AMD and nforce2 chipset from Nvidia. So, I suppose they are completly different.

Offline cory1492

• Neo MOD
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2006, 03:42:31 PM »
I have brought it to Dr.neo's attention and they are going to take a closer look at your issue and see if they can reproduce/debug it on their hardware. It is possibly just a minor hiccup in thet software somewhere.

Offline sven

• the one starting with: "www." you'll find the rest.
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2006, 09:33:05 PM »
i used to put a single gba rom once on my noemax 512 and it did work, i used the slimloader driver from the cd who was pakked with my neomax 1 gb kit and used xg2pro v6 to burn the game and everything worked fine after a while but i have much problems like sometimes the neomax software freeses while detecting or when i use neomax for the second time without restarting the pc it neomax couldn't detect the card so i first had to restart the whole pc and then i sometimes had that it detected but stopped halfway during formatting, but i don't know accectly when i had the problems with gba games or with the menu it is a long time ago, now it all goes good, it just worked good after a week. and when the neomax software is formatting when the bleu balk is totally full you have to wait a long time and it starts a second time to load the balk, and my neomax 512 card is card type 11. i don't know if there are diferences between the neoflash and the neomax card i assume there are because it is a diferent cardtype but maybe it aint big diferences

i hope this helps and sorry for my bad english
« Last Edit: March 07, 2006, 09:46:40 PM by sven »
O hai