Author Topic: contest: PSP APP - Oldschool Library - By: Brunni  (Read 31856 times)

Offline Brunni

contest: PSP APP - Oldschool Library - By: Brunni
« on: March 19, 2006, 09:52:48 PM »
Description: Oldschool library is a library designed for creating 2D games, apps or demos for your PSP.
It's brings you all the power of the PSP graphic processor without having to learn lots of 3D and internal hardware concepts. It's very easy to use and flexible.

For example, you can load PNG images with alpha channel, deform them (zoom, rotation, transparency, tinting, bilinear filtering, ...), directly draw on them, draw maps, 4-point gradients, debug message boxes & console and so on.
You can also play audio files (.wav & .bgm), stream them from Memory Stick. It includes a key handler, so you can get when a key was pressed or is currently held, set autorepeat values for some pressed keys.

But instead of big speeches, you can download some samples on this page:
http://oslib.palib.info/samples/
Currently, it still needs some testing and other features are planned. It will be open source.
Note: I am not the same programmer as Mollusk, who wrote PALib, he just hosts my files.

Download: http://oslib.palib.info/OSLib.zip

Screenshots:

Note: OSLib.zip is attached, and some samples (maps_15 -> maps sample for firmware 1.5, maps_src -> maps sample source, please visit the samples page for 1.0 version).
« Last Edit: March 20, 2006, 04:27:01 AM by Brunni »

Offline Phantom

• Neo-Newbie
Re: contest: PSP APP - Oldschool Library - By: Brunni
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 09:56:15 PM »
That is an entry "n°1"  :-*

Offline Yodajr

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 01:31:22 AM »
With this lib, the PSP becomes the most powerful 2D plateform !
Congratulations Brünni, you've made something great !
I've done some of the samples and it's very easy and powerful to use ???
« Last Edit: March 20, 2006, 01:34:29 AM by Yodajr »

Offline Payk

• NDSDEV.DE
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 06:46:26 AM »
hehe it was sure tha mollusk hast that... u both make similiar work...great perhaps the psp-homebrew scene will grow with projects like that... Its good to introduce people to the psp hardware with a simple lib...i also startet with pa_lib before going to ndslib and i am sure if u had startet with ndslib i would have big problems...so great work

Offline Brunni

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 06:25:10 PM »
Thank you :)
Yes, I hope this will allow more people to develop on PSP, and make some excellent games for the next competition ;)
But for now it's the first public release so there is almost nobody using it. :(

Offline Payk

• NDSDEV.DE
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 09:14:06 PM »
there is allways a startpoitn which is hard to solve. but its behind u... First reléase is there. The problem is now that firmwareupdates sony releases... Problems like that the nds-homebrew-scene doesnt have... So u maybe have a harder way then mollusk. i wish u and ur project good luck...

Offline Brunni

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 05:41:59 AM »
Thanks ^^
There is another project I began, just to show the PSP's power (and OSLib).
Basically, it would be a GBA emulator, but it's not really one for now as it doesn't emulates the CPU yet (so you cannot run another ROM than mine for now, which is recompiled, and writes into emulator registers, and emulated through a separate process), but just basic GBA hardware, and GPU is far from being complete (the 4 BGs and their modes are displayed, basic sprite support without rotation & alpha blending, no HBLANK interrupts) and sound hardware is not emulated.
The GBA display processor is emulated fully using the PSP hardware.

This is not a port of an existing emulator, I wrote all myself (it's why it takes lot of time and is far from being complete, but runs at a good speed for now).
So, this is a challenge, maybe it will give nothing at the end, but it shows what we can do with oslib ^^
Controls: cross, circle, joypad.
Sonic WIP for PSP (joined)
Sonic WIP for GBA (joined)
My original Sonic game clone for GBA, fully playable (too big to be joined)
Graphic part of the source code is included in the .rar file (the rest is 250 MB big...).
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 06:08:59 AM by Brunni »

Offline Payk

• NDSDEV.DE
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2006, 07:32:28 AM »
Ok is much work sure. But not a port so u can do that specific to the hardware.

Offline Shapyi

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2006, 10:38:05 PM »
Great job! Would it be possible to release the source code to oldschool lib?

Offline Brunni

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2006, 10:51:39 PM »
Yes, I planned to release it, and I'll do it once I cleaned it up a bit ^^

Offline Shapyi

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2006, 12:42:08 AM »
Yes, I planned to release it, and I'll do it once I cleaned it up a bit ^^

Sweet! I can't wait for that. Do you have an official site for this lib? Or just that sample page?

Offline Brunni

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2006, 12:49:45 AM »
Sorry, there is no website for now, just the sample page :(

DynamicStability

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2006, 12:54:53 AM »
You should have made this for ds, psp doesn't do games well.

Offline Brunni

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2006, 03:46:28 AM »
Sorry, but I do not agree with you. Have you ever tried OSLib or PSP programming before saying that?
The PSP maybe doesn't have a innovative touch screen.
Instead, it has a hardware capable of incredible things. By "masterizing" it, you can do very innovative and fun games, that would not be possible on a DS.
So, even without a touchscreen, the PSP is an innovative and cool GAME console, but like the DS it just needs some programmers that take advantage of it ;-)

Offline Payk

• NDSDEV.DE
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2006, 06:15:52 AM »
I totally agree. Both of that consoles have own style. Ok DS with both screens (but do u really look at both same time? i think better would be one big touchscreen 16:9 like psp). And PSP with hardware... Think about that: With my tetris game i reached max. polygonecount!!! yes u can display about 2000 at same time u can read in my topic in nds section...)

And on the gameing-site its allmost same... PSP with his loading-time and short batterylife and NDS which is a pain in the hand (try to play egoshooter more then 1 1/2 hours and ur hands will know what i mean). And that both is not good for handheld. Both console should watch eachother... a umd-drive is bad idea. Its supply needs much power and the datatransfer is slower then cardrich. But why they build it in? $$$€€€ producing a umd is much cheaper for sony then buing eeproms from infinion with same size...