Author Topic: [NDS App] SIDPlayerDS  (Read 23859 times)

Offline GPF

• GPF's dev site
[NDS App] SIDPlayerDS
« on: August 21, 2006, 12:37:49 PM »
This is a port of SIDPlayer, by Christian Bauer, with modifications for
the nds by Troy Davis(GPF).  .  The home page of the NDS
port is http://gpf.dcemu.co.uk

What is SIDPlayer?
------------------

SIDPlayer is a replayer program for C64 music ("SID tunes"), like PlaySID on
the Amiga or SIDPLAY for Unix. You can think of it as being a stripped-down
C64 emulator that only emulates the CPU and the sound chip of the C64.
SIDPlayer can replay SID tunes in the "PSID" file format, but it cannot run
any C64 programs.

Why would I want to listen to C64 music?
----------------------------------------

The C64 had the most advanced sound capabilities of all home computers in
the early 80's. While other computers of that time were only able to produce
beeps, the C64 had a complete 3-voice analog synthesizer on its MOS 6581
sound chip (called "SID" - "Sound Interface Device"). Even some more modern
computers (as the Atari ST or the first Macs) had worse sound.

The SID chip features three oscillators with selectable waveform, ADSR
envelope generators, programmable resonance filters and special effects like
ring modulation. With the aid of the CPU, it can also replay 4-bit sampled
sounds. SIDPlayer emulates all features of the SID chip, including the
filters.

There were (and are still) many composers programming excellent music for
the C64 and thousands of tunes have been converted for use with SID tune
replayers on nearly every existing computer platform. One big advantage of
SID tunes is that they take very little hard disk space: most are only 4-8K
in size.

Supported file formats
----------------------

The only SID tune file format supported by SIDPlayer is single-file PSID
files (these have the signature "PSID" in the first 4 bytes). Most SID music
available on the Internet is in this format, directory browser requires they have the extension .sid or .SID

Where do I get PSID files
-------------------------

The two largest collections of SID tunes are the "High Voltage" SID
Collection (http://hvsc.c64.org) and the "NemeSIDs" archive
(http://cvsup.de.openbsd.org/pub/historic/comp/os/c64/arnold/sidmusic/nemesids.lha/). These have been used for testing
during the development of SIDPlayer and they should all work.

Nineteen demonstration SID tunes are included with SIDPlayer in the "sid" directory.

thanks and enjoy,
Troy Davis(GPF)
http://gpf.dcemu.co.uk

PS. FYI you must be registered and logged in to be able to see and download attachments to this post.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2006, 12:02:44 AM by GPF »

DynamicStability

Re: [NDS App] SIDPlayerDS
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 08:59:58 AM »
* DynamicStability eats spaghetti and listens to SIDs.  But seriously, making fun of dead babies is uncool.

Edit: It seems you are 98% done, any plans to clear up the scratchies?  I understand how hard sound code is to twiddle.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2006, 09:09:25 AM by DynamicStability »

Offline TOCMFIC

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 09:44:24 AM »
I dearly hope this works on my M3!!! I've been wanting a SID player since I got my DS. Even toyed with doing one myself but know nothing of coding...

I really hope you keep development of this up! (Especially if it doesn't work my M3:))

Look forward to trying this! (Not looking forward to putting 20,000 SID files on my CF card mind you...)

Edit: Seems to work just fine on M3. Sound is a bit scratchy as the previous poster said.

Excellent start I have to say! If you do keep up development, adding support for HVSC's SID file would be awesome.

Will gladly beta test this and risk file system corruption. This is my holy grail of homebrew for the DS.

Another edit: Very impressive. Discovered that if you put another directory inside the sid one, the program freezes and won't work. I'm hoping, if nothing else, you could make it so you can navigate a directory tree, making having the whole HVSC on a card usable. Other than that, and the sound being a little bit iffy (but still totally listenable IMO) I'd say it's all I could hope for.

10 out of 10!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2006, 02:19:38 PM by TOCMFIC »

DynamicStability

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 02:19:18 PM »
GPF's stuff never corrupts the filesystem, it's all read only.  His sound betas, however, can blow out ear drums.
 ???

Offline TOCMFIC

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 02:21:54 PM »
GPF's stuff never corrupts the filesystem, it's all read only.  His sound betas, however, can blow out ear drums.
 ???

Only ever had issue with one program causing issues on my CF based M3, so no big deal. Reformat, carry on with my day:)

The sound seems a little weird. Sometimes to get a tune working I seem to have to move away from it and then come back. VERY trivial issue though, except potentially on single tune sids. I should test one out, see what happens.

Offline davr

• RorexRobots.com
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2006, 10:58:26 PM »
Pretty neat, seems to work well, except for the sound quality issues. playing them on my PC (using "Sidplay V2.0.9, Libsidplay V2.1.1"), and they sound much 'cleaner'.
Also I think it seems to start on song '0 of 3' and I have to advance to '1 of 3' to get it to start playing.

DynamicStability

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2006, 11:35:22 PM »
 ::sm-14.gif::
Not this sound demo, this one sounds good.  I was referring to the numerous other ports that I've tested for you (half of which were never released :P)

Offline mlikecheese

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2006, 03:30:38 AM »
Popcorn on my NDS <3

Offline subfreak

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2006, 05:57:30 AM »
Thanks for this!

Holy Grail for me too this one and agree that the following would make for perfection..

- Cleaner, less clicky emulation (filterless clean, loud gba sidplayer is out there already (without directory mode))
- Higher volume setting(s)
- Directory Tree
- Start on Tune 1 rather than 0.

Offline TOCMFIC

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2006, 01:23:22 PM »
Thanks for this!

Holy Grail for me too this one and agree that the following would make for perfection..

- Cleaner, less clicky emulation (filterless clean, loud gba sidplayer is out there already (without directory mode))
- Higher volume setting(s)
- Directory Tree
- Start on Tune 1 rather than 0.

Glad I'm not alone:) Just hope this doesn't suffer the fate that some other projects seem to suffer in these competitions where once the competition is done, development halts.

Of what you listed, I just want to navigate directories. Volume doesn't really bother me.

Offline TOCMFIC

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2006, 10:43:50 AM »
Well since it's been ten days and no comment, I guess this is probably all we can expect:(

Offline GPF

• GPF's dev site
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2006, 05:15:28 AM »
I am still working on a new version, iv got it so now it defaults to the default song of the SID instead of song 0 .

I am currently working on adding 16bit sound support to my SDL lib port so I can use 16bit sound in SIDPlayer and hopefully that will improve the sound.

Still not sure why some SID sound perfect and others either sound like **** or the volume is so low. I've never created a SID so I'm not sure if its part of the creation of the SID that is different between them, or if I have some kind of bug in my port.

I've been to busy and work lately to get some time to release the new official version and meet my gpl obligations for the source on my website, this will happen asap, unless requested sooner and I will deal with it then :)

Thanks,
Troy(GPF)

Offline subfreak

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2006, 05:43:13 AM »
Thanks for the update 8D

Nice to know you still chipping away at it  ::sm-03::

Offline TOCMFIC

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2006, 08:38:13 AM »
I am still working on a new version, iv got it so now it defaults to the default song of the SID instead of song 0 .

I am currently working on adding 16bit sound support to my SDL lib port so I can use 16bit sound in SIDPlayer and hopefully that will improve the sound.

Still not sure why some SID sound perfect and others either sound like **** or the volume is so low. I've never created a SID so I'm not sure if its part of the creation of the SID that is different between them, or if I have some kind of bug in my port.

I've been to busy and work lately to get some time to release the new official version and meet my gpl obligations for the source on my website, this will happen asap, unless requested sooner and I will deal with it then :)

Thanks,
Troy(GPF)

Fantastic news! I will gladly beta test for you. (You wrote to me on GBA Dev but I didn't notice the message soon enough.) Directory navigation in the program is all I care about.

As for sid tunes, if you have HVSC, I'd recommend going into the "DEEK" directory and playing "Tiger in a Dress", as of all the ones I've listened to, that sounds the most screwed up during the intro.

REALLY great to hear you're still working on this!