Author Topic: Space Escape  (Read 16306 times)

Offline Grimfate126

Space Escape
« on: March 19, 2007, 09:06:20 PM »
Welcome to Space Escape! We hope you enjoy playing this game.

Here is the basic rundown:

// ABOUT //

The aim of the game is to survive as long as you can in a dangerous asteroid field.

// CREDITS //

-- PROGRAMMERS --

Nikhil Dixit (Grimfate126)
David Perry (InsertWittyName)

-- MUSIC --

Abhoth

-- SPECIAL THANKS --

InsertWittyName's Phoenix Game Engine. It was used a lot throughout the game.
Anyone that contributed or tested.

You, for playing.

The official site is: http://insomniac.0x89.org/

Here are some screens from the game:

Here is a video I made of the game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FGZY_w7z2A

Also, here is the high scores table, so you can check how you rank worldwide:
http://insomniac.0x89.org/index.php?id=74

Here is the entire readme:
http://insomniac.0x89.org/index.php?id=71

And finally, the download link:
http://insomniac.0x89.org/index.php?id=73

Have fun!

Offline Payk

• NDSDEV.DE
Re: Space Escape
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 09:20:38 PM »
To bad that i dont have a PSP.
Anyway, that really looks great. I am impressed by the particle stuff. The form of the particles are analog to the movement. Hmhmh your able to change textures dynamicly or are that some blended layers next to each others?
Interesting stuff i would like to have a conversation about 3d stuff with you. Need to know some stuff about PSP (i am thinking about to get one to port my ds game to it) Anyway, good luck with compo ;)

PS: Maybe you should take a look at my entry in NDS devision. Should be interesting for you too. We maybe could learn from each other.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 09:22:10 PM by Payk »

Offline InsertWittyName

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 09:28:26 PM »
The particle effects are just blended textures, same as any particle engine would use.

I saw your entry already Payk, makes me wish I had a DS.

InsertWittyName.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 09:39:25 PM by Insomniac »

Offline Grimfate126

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 05:02:03 AM »
To bad that i dont have a PSP.
Anyway, that really looks great. I am impressed by the particle stuff. The form of the particles are analog to the movement. Hmhmh your able to change textures dynamicly or are that some blended layers next to each others?
Interesting stuff i would like to have a conversation about 3d stuff with you. Need to know some stuff about PSP (i am thinking about to get one to port my ds game to it) Anyway, good luck with compo ;)

PS: Maybe you should take a look at my entry in NDS devision. Should be interesting for you too. We maybe could learn from each other.

the particles were mainly done by InsertWittyName. He knows a lot about them. :D

i love your entry. looks beautiful. may i ask how you did collision?

Offline Payk

• NDSDEV.DE
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 05:15:10 AM »
Well its an uncommon way. For models i used md2.
And when loading them it creates a 1bit bmp of it from birdeye view of that model. Since the game is tilebased the engine can easily say(using that b/w maps) which parts of the map are passable and which arent. So when charcater walks trough it, engine reads circlewhise arround the character position that images out. So if there is a black pixel for example on the left upper side of the circle, and you are pushing up, it then can know that it has to doge it by driftng right while going to north. So it also doges when walking against stuff. But it has a weakpoint too. Lets take a traffic-latern. From the birdeye view its kinda useless. You cant go near the trunk because the top of that latern blocks it, even if it is higher then the character. But i thought about to give that script an alternative command to load such a birdeye map from bmp, so that map-devers can correct it by hand.

And thanx for that nice comment. I really love your work too. Because i can party imagen whats behind it. A tilebased engie like mine is something totaly differentfrom what you have done. Your mapsn are totaly dynamic. I guess checking collision in your game is much harder. Thinking about the rotating asteroids. How did you do that?

Offline Grimfate126

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 05:22:48 AM »
Well its an uncommon way. For models i used md2.
And when loading them it creates a 1bit bmp of it from birdeye view of that model. Since the game is tilebased the engine can easily say(using that b/w maps) which parts of the map are passable and which arent. So when charcater walks trough it, engine reads circlewhise arround the character position that images out. So if there is a black pixel for example on the left upper side of the circle, and you are pushing up, it then can know that it has to doge it by driftng right while going to north. So it also doges when walking against stuff. But it has a weakpoint too. Lets take a traffic-latern. From the birdeye view its kinda useless. You cant go near the trunk because the top of that latern blocks it, even if it is higher then the character. But i thought about to give that script an alternative command to load such a birdeye map from bmp, so that map-devers can correct it by hand.

And thanx for that nice comment. I really love your work too. Because i can party imagen whats behind it. A tilebased engie like mine is something totaly differentfrom what you have done. Your mapsn are totaly dynamic. I guess checking collision in your game is much harder. Thinking about the rotating asteroids. How did you do that?

Again, InsertWittyName did the collision. (he did a lot the hard stuff) Although he was nice enough to explain it all to me, so now i can do it as well. :D

We used sphere AABB collision. Since everything was rotating (including the ship), it was the most practical way.

Also, if you want to talk to me, my aim is:

Grimfate126

I would love to talk to you about 3D, i could learn a lot from your game.

Offline Payk

• NDSDEV.DE
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 05:27:39 AM »
Yes sure. Let me just set up an aim account in trilian.
Anyway, thats cool if he explained it all. I am also a lucky one who has found some nice and skilled guys in the scene who helped me a lot. Without the graphic artists and musicers my game wouldnt interest anybody here :D
Did you guys made the meshes7textures o your own?

Offline Grimfate126

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 05:35:20 AM »
Yes sure. Let me just set up an aim account in trilian.
Anyway, thats cool if he explained it all. I am also a lucky one who has found some nice and skilled guys in the scene who helped me a lot. Without the graphic artists and musicers my game wouldnt interest anybody here :D
Did you guys made the meshes7textures o your own?

I made the mine model, and IWN textured it. He also found the ship model and the textures that came with it. And he made the asteroid.

Offline Payk

• NDSDEV.DE
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007, 05:42:39 AM »
Ahh nice. Just tried to add you and wrote a msg. But it said your offline :/
Its cool that you are deving for psp even the ds has more succes. To be really seriously, the TS isnt that gift of god. I just know a hand full of games which are using it in a sensefull way. Sometimes i wish i would have choosed PSP over NDS. The TS is it defently not worth that you just cant render 2048 polygons, just have about 512Kb for textures (and just if you dont use the other screen in a complex way), adn that float needs to be simulated since the NDS doesn have a floating point unit.

Offline Grimfate126

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2007, 06:15:25 AM »
Ahh nice. Just tried to add you and wrote a msg. But it said your offline :/
Its cool that you are deving for psp even the ds has more succes. To be really seriously, the TS isnt that gift of god. I just know a hand full of games which are using it in a sensefull way. Sometimes i wish i would have choosed PSP over NDS. The TS is it defently not worth that you just cant render 2048 polygons, just have about 512Kb for textures (and just if you dont use the other screen in a complex way), adn that float needs to be simulated since the NDS doesn have a floating point unit.

thats weird, im online. whats your screenname? ill try adding you.

and what is TS?

Offline Payk

• NDSDEV.DE
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2007, 06:19:27 AM »
My screename is DrunkencoderPayk and TS is Touchscreen :D

Offline Grimfate126

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2007, 06:37:04 AM »
My screename is DrunkencoderPayk and TS is Touchscreen :D

i added you, but you dont look like your online.

Offline Fuzzie 360

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2007, 11:39:40 AM »
Great job on the game you deserve it. If only I knew how to code 3D.  :'(

PS.
We used sphere AABB collision. Since everything was rotating (including the ship), it was the most practical way.

I used that type of collision too but in only a singular plane. It was just because the cars were rotating too. :P

Offline InsertWittyName

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2007, 04:39:54 PM »
The link in the first post has been updated (fixed one small bug). If you previously downloaded the game, please download it again.

Also, it's OBB -> sphere collision rather than straight AABB -> sphere.

The ship's [OBB] position is subtracted from the obstacle's [SPHERE] position and then the obstacle's position is multiplied by the ship's inverse orientation matrix.

They're now both in OBB centred space and the OBB can be treated as an AABB centred at the origin.

Then the standard AABB -> sphere test is performed.

Offline Payk

• NDSDEV.DE
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2007, 04:42:15 PM »
hmhmh nice....saved...thanx :D