Author Topic: [NDS GAME] ECLIPSE DRIVING  (Read 12900 times)

Offline mastertop101

[NDS GAME] ECLIPSE DRIVING
« on: March 21, 2007, 11:14:05 AM »
Hello, here is my game. It is a 2d car driving game.
You basically need to beat your own time records.

Features :

Support NDS motion
Select wheel sensitivity
4 selectable cars with different specs (speed, acceleration, handling)
4 selectable steerwheel
6 Tracks
5 gears : you must use them correctly to be fast ; 1st gear accelerates much faster then 6th
You must brake if you want to play well; the faster you go, the less you turn easily

HOW TO PLAY :

Left to shift down
Right to shift up
Up to accelerate
Down or R or L to brake
Turn with the stylus with steerwheel

Lots of new stuff coming later

Big thanks to lobo for gfx

« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 06:52:00 AM by mastertop101 »

Offline Payk

• NDSDEV.DE
Re: [NDS GAME] ECLIPSE DRIVING
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 07:25:52 PM »
Hey there is it. Looking forward to get back home and try it out :D

Offline KeithE

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 08:54:46 PM »
Cool!  I like it.  Steering with the DS Motion Card is really a neat feeling.

I think the controls could be made better though.  Here is what I suggest for the controls when using the DS Motion Card for steering:

Accelerate: Up, Right, X, or A
Brake: Left, Down, Y, or B
Shift Up: R
Shift Down: L

Also needs some engine revving sounds so looking at the tach is not required.

Offline mastertop101

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 03:25:42 AM »
Yep, thank you, i'll add that real soon.. I was just quite urged to finish it for the compo..

As for engine sounds, there was something implemented, strangely, it was working really bad on DS (hardware) but quite well on no$gba, also, finding a monotone engine sound is hard too.. (for the test, I was using something like a 100hz monotone sound..)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 03:33:59 AM by mastertop101 »

Offline kodea

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 10:20:53 AM »
lfs on ds! ;)

Offline Sweater Fish Deluxe

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 02:55:26 AM »
I agree with Keith, the controls need to be reworked, it's far too easy to accidently shift up or down and sometime it just feels like it would be more comfortable to be using my right hand to control the acceleration because of the way you have to rotate the system.  The control scheme he suggested would be perfect.  I wonder, though, have you considered shifting with the Motion Card, too?  Using the Z axis accelerometer, you could jerk the system forward to shift up and pull it toward you to shift down.  That would feel very natural and I think it would be possible to set the thresholds in such a way that you wouldn't ever accidently shift.

Definitely needs sound effects, too, so that you don't have to take your eyes off the road to know when to shift.  I think this might be a perfect situation to use the PSG instead of sampled audio.  Shouldn't be hard to come up with an effective engine noise using PSG and then you can easily modulate the frequency based on the RPMs.

Great work.  The game is still at an early stage, but I think it will be a lot of fun--maybe the best Motion Card game so far--once you get these couple issues worked out.

A track editor and maybe also a random track generator would be nice, too.

...word is bondage...

Offline lobo

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 03:41:32 AM »
Yeah, the engine soundfx implemented in early version of the game just didn't work. It generally sounded like a low buzz even when volume was 100% (on DS). Coincidentally so, at the same time it worked great on No$gba so I remember that he decided to remove the sounds completely (horn was supposed to be there as well..and a few cows) and put the bkg music track as it is now. Hopefully, he'll be able to fix this <cough>palib forums<cough> and add the track editor cause he did mentioned it at one point.   ::sm-09.gif::

Offline mastertop101

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2007, 10:18:44 AM »
I agree with Keith, the controls need to be reworked, it's far too easy to accidently shift up or down and sometime it just feels like it would be more comfortable to be using my right hand to control the acceleration because of the way you have to rotate the system.

Yeah, I agree with you.. I'll post a new version with some fixed stuff (controls for example) and new graphics

I wonder, though, have you considered shifting with the Motion Card, too?  Using the Z axis accelerometer, you could jerk the system forward to shift up and pull it toward you to shift down.  That would feel very natural and I think it would be possible to set the thresholds in such a way that you wouldn't ever accidently shift.

I could do that, but explain your point more please.

Definitely needs sound effects, too, so that you don't have to take your eyes off the road to know when to shift.  I think this might be a perfect situation to use the PSG instead of sampled audio.  Shouldn't be hard to come up with an effective engine noise using PSG and then you can easily modulate the frequency based on the RPMs.
Sound effects, yeah, but I don't know what you mean by PSG..?

Great work.  The game is still at an early stage, but I think it will be a lot of fun--maybe the best Motion Card game so far--once you get these couple issues worked out.
Thank you

A track editor and maybe also a random track generator would be nice, too.
Creating maps is easy, maybe I'll add a system to add them from DLDI

..word is bondage...

Hm.. what ? :)

Offline jester

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2007, 03:47:45 AM »
Wow excellent Game Will we see multiplayer?

Offline Sweater Fish Deluxe

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007, 04:11:34 AM »
I wonder, though, have you considered shifting with the Motion Card, too?  Using the Z axis accelerometer, you could jerk the system forward to shift up and pull it toward you to shift down.  That would feel very natural and I think it would be possible to set the thresholds in such a way that you wouldn't ever accidently shift.

I could do that, but explain your point more please.
No point.  Just thought it might be a fun way to take further advantage of the Motion Card's capabilities.

Sound effects, yeah, but I don't know what you mean by PSG..?
PSG is the Programmable Sound Generator.  It means that you simply define what frequency tone you want to play and play it (or modify it and play the new frequency) every program loop rather than relying on playback and looping of a pre-recorded sound effect.  This is the way sound effects adn even music were most commonly done in earlier generations of video games up until the early to mid '90s, including the engine noises in all driving games like Outrun and so on.

The DS has 6 PSG sound channels (8 through 13) and two white noise channels (14 and 15).  I think you'd want to use two separate PSG channels for a fuller sound and maybe a white noise channel to, to make it rougher.  I haven't experimented with making engine noises on the PSG, though.

If you're using PAlib, the newest version released earlier this month has a PA_PlayPSG funtion in it.  Without using PAlib it's a little more complicated, but there's a tutorial here:

http://forum.gbadev.org/viewtopic.php?t=11523

...word is bondage...
Hm.. what ? :)

...word is bondage...
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 04:15:32 AM by Sweater Fish Deluxe »

Offline mastertop101

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2007, 05:03:06 AM »
No point.  Just thought it might be a fun way to take further advantage of the Motion Card's capabilities.
Yeah, I understand that, but I don't know how it should work..? Move the DS toward/backward to shift (I'm not sure that can work well)  ? Or...?

I'll check about PSG, thank you about info