Author Topic: Mass Hysteria  (Read 10257 times)

Offline OutOfRange

• OutOfRange Game Dev Blog
Mass Hysteria
« on: August 16, 2007, 04:58:21 AM »
Nickname: OutOfRange
Projet name : Mass Hysteria
Division: NDS Game
Original enter : YES
In last NEO Compo this project won in the top 10 : NO
Project description:

Mass Hysteria is my attempt at an original game for the NDS, where you use the simple menu interface to choose your actions. As the player it is your job to hack the TV airwaves and place footage onto them, given to you by random people. You are given the weekly listings for a channel, along with all the different genres of show that will be on, and you select a show to hijack that will attract the audience similar to the target of the footage.

The game features a ten week story mode, but the main feature was originally the mass hysteria mode where you are given four pieces of footage at random to place whereever you like and get the highest score possible. Game features include a shop to buy donuts to get the police attention off you, extra satellites so you can hijack more than one show per week and extra footage.

I've tested it as much as possible but there may still be some bugs  :-\ I'm aware of a problem with the palettes getting messed up on the select slots screen, since there's a limit to the amount of palettes you can have at one time >_>

lol, this is my first attempt writing one of these, so I think I've included everything  >:D Hope you enjoy the game.
2007 Summer Comp Positions
#7 - Dice Roller
#9 - Mass Hysteria

Offline Sweater Fish Deluxe

Re: Mass Hysteria
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 02:16:44 AM »
This is a really cool game concept.  Is it totally original or is it based on some previously released game?  Either way, it's really cool to see unique releases like this on the DS.

Currently, it's just not that difficult, though.  You need some more variables and objectives and pitfalls in the game to give the player more of a chellenge and hold their interest.

I hope you keep developing it, because I think it could become a very interesting game.

...word is bondage...

Offline sumiguchi

• sumiguchi
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 06:31:18 AM »
Yeah I really like this one!

A few small things that hinder the experience though.  Like in the main game - when I select a slot go back to the menu and then back to the schedule, the slot I picked is cleared, and I need to pick it again :(

On some screens you need to press a button...wish I could just tap the screen :P

Very cool concept - reminds me of lemonade on my C64 except a tad more complex! 

Offline OutOfRange

• OutOfRange Game Dev Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 06:00:04 PM »
Ty guys :)

I had the idea for a while and made the game before I came up with any idea how I was going to use it  ??? So yeah, I agree, it's not very difficult ^_^" my original plan was to have random events happening after every week rather just being given extra footage such as blackouts etc.

As for the slots having to be reselected when you go back in, I tried to reselect the one's you'd chosen but it led to some really odd errors XD ergo I decided to cut it out with the deadline approaching.

Thanks for the comments, I'd kinda given up on this one, but I might try and revamp it soonish to fix the problems you mentionned.  >:D
2007 Summer Comp Positions
#7 - Dice Roller
#9 - Mass Hysteria