Author Topic: Legion  (Read 36008 times)

Offline smealum

• Neo-Newbie
    • Smea's DevBlog
Legion
« on: March 20, 2008, 08:10:34 AM »
Nickname: Smealum and Lobo (and ZeBlackos for the music)
Projet name : Legion
Division : NDS Game
Original enter : YES
Support Motion : NO
In last NEO Compo this project have won in the top 10 : NO
Project description:  { Legion is an isometric 3D Action/Shooting game set in a Fallout-like post apocalyptic world. You play as Brutus, a mutant who is accompanied by a quite unnerving machine...CHAP. }

LINK
(the file is too big to upload it on the forum  :( )

Controls :

In Game :
Stylus : aim, change Brutus' direction
Up or X : Run forward
Down or B : Run backwards
Left/Right or Y/A : Run side ways
R or L : Shoot
R + L : Open MOD menu
Start : Pause
Select : Swap screens
The DS is supposed to be held this way :

In Dialog :
Stylus tap : make the dialog continue
Start : skip the whole dialog

The game's goal is explained during its introduction.
Beware when you save : there's only one save slot, so saving will automatically erase your older save file.

To get the game to work, you must place the "legion" directory at the root of your card and DLDI patch the Legion.nds file !

To the judges : please do not judge the game after having only tested the first level as it is far deeper than that and has very various environments and a very complete background story.

Also, this is only a demo. There are 6 levels, the final version will feature 12.

Special thanks : LOBO ! ZeBlackos ! dev-fr.org , playeradvance.org , #dev-fr , #pa.org (especially the testers...) and #dsdev.

Offline minishlink

• When you want, you can !
    • Minishlink's Devblog
Re: Legion
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 02:35:00 PM »
Arf, it's time for me to go, but I'me very pressed !

"Le messie est arrivĂ©"  ~sm-44.gif~

Good luck :-)

Offline Cid2Mizard

• cid2mizard.dev-fr.org
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 04:10:56 PM »
yeah good luck  ;)
www.nintendomax.com 100% Hack - 0% Warez

Offline omg

• Banjo Advance Website
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 07:24:20 PM »
Great Work! Smealum, Lobo, ZeBlackos thank you!

I will test it in few hours!  :D

Offline sturmen

• Fear me.
    • Sturmen's Site
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 08:07:33 PM »
Awesome! Looks really nice!

Buy from these websites!
DealExtreme or Play-Asia

Offline MagNet

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 03:54:37 AM »
Just testing. Nice indeed, what bugs me is the control scheme and the zoom in tho.

I'd rather have the controls so the movement and fire would be independent - stylus = aim, dpad movement up down left and right, no bond with the character. I guess I can get used to this but it's not really intuitive. Or at least allow shooting while strafing :D
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 04:00:09 AM by MagNet »

Offline smealum

• Neo-Newbie
    • Smea's DevBlog
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 04:28:55 AM »
Thanks for the comments.  ;D

Just testing. Nice indeed, what bugs me is the control scheme and the zoom in tho.

I'd rather have the controls so the movement and fire would be independent - stylus = aim, dpad movement up down left and right, no bond with the character. I guess I can get used to this but it's not really intuitive. Or at least allow shooting while strafing :D
Actually, you're the first one to tell me you don't like the control scheme. I myself thought it was intuitive enough, but I guess it's normal that everyone doesn't share my opinion. Thanks, for telling me, I'll try to do something about it in the final version. ;)
About not being able to shoot while strafing, I do agree it can be quite annoying... But the reason I didn't allow it is because I thought it'd make the whole thing way too easy : while strafing, you can dodge pretty much anything the enemy shoots at you, so being able to shoot yourself while dodging would just be unfair I think.  ;)

Offline TeenDev

• The pirate basher
    • TeenDev
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 05:21:51 AM »
I must say this game looks pretty ***yful  >:D

Offline lobo

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 05:44:24 AM »
Yeah, I don't know but controls have been made this way due to suggestions of all the people who have tested the early versions.
I'm usually picky about control scheme but I got myself adjusted to this one and have no idea as to what would be the better alternative. I guess it's about getting used to it at the beginning, later on it will feel just about right.

About the strafe and shoot, that's not a bad idea and I can easily implement it into the model, it's up to smealum to make enemy AI to also use the strafe+fire so there's some balance in there (if not a whole bunch of dancing and prancing in circles that will probably occur in this case).

Offline smealum

• Neo-Newbie
    • Smea's DevBlog
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2008, 05:46:24 AM »
Just uploaded a new version (Neo said I have until midnight in my timezone...that lets me about an hour) which corrects a few bugs. :)

Offline thebawp

• Brotherhood of the Underworld.
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2008, 08:01:55 AM »
I'm not sure if it's me, or if this game is just buggy.  I'm trying to follow the red arrow, but it just sends me in circles, allowing me to walk on the gray parts of the first map (which don't look like I should be able to walk on them), in my first play through I managed to walk onto the next screen on the right hand side of the map, but in my second play, I couldn't walk across.

This is a really nice looking game, and it has potential to be a lot of fun, but it just seems too buggy at the moment.  =/

Offline lobo

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2008, 08:43:29 AM »
Game is definitely not too buggy, get the latest version there and try again.
Red pointer shows you where the exit is, follow it and you'll get to the exit of  the map. Currently, the threshold for the exit is a bit small, about one tile 32x32 I guess, so you have to nail it but it's easy once you simply follow the arrow so no, it doesn't send you to circles, it's not coded to confuse you but to help you out.
I don't know how you managed to get to the grey area, maybe you found a hole, get out of it the same way you came through.

Offline thebawp

• Brotherhood of the Underworld.
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2008, 08:59:07 AM »
I downloaded the latest version about 2 hours ago.   There was quite a lot of grey area that I could enter - if I shouldn't be able to enter it, then it shouldn't be that easy to enter an area I shouldn't nor that hard to enter an area I should.  I'm not posting a bug report to be vindictive, but it's what I encountered.

Seriously, this is a really ambitious game, I can see that.  What has been done so far is very impressive, and what has been achieved so far is very promising (and certainly far more than I could ever achieve) but I am encountering weird problems.  If you don't believe that it's buggy, then I'll post a video of the whole thing. 

Offline MagNet

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2008, 09:02:36 AM »
By the way the zoom is like that because of polygon limatation or just because you like it this way?

Offline lobo

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2008, 10:58:03 AM »
I understand but here I am playing for about an hour or so, especially level1 and I can't get to the grey area. However, what I'm getting into with 'not too buggy' is the fact that 'too buggy' implies that game is unplayable almost which is not true cause I keep playing it so far and, well...almost finished it (i'm chasing bugs as well so didn't finish it yet myself) so it is quite playable.
Maybe if you can post that video so we can see where exactly are you hitting the grey area, that would be helpful as smealum would be able to 'seal it off'.

All in all, thanks for response but I wish people would report clear problems with exact errors that I cannot see but someone else might, makes it much easier for us to fix it, you know.

@Magnet
Zoom thing, yep, you're right on the spot there. We had the idea of zooming out long time ago in order to effectively use sniper, cover and generally have a better view of the area and enemies. Unfortunatelly, this is still DS we're talking about and we kept cutting things in half all the time just to get constant 60fps and not kill the gameplay.
If you look at the level in the city, those 2-3 buildings, you might notice that they're kinda not too high as they should be -proportionally toward the character. Well, that's just one small example of rescaling, cutting or generally keeping the way as it is to keep the constant framerate and to hide triangles that might be too much for the scene. :/