Author Topic: PSP Games reviews - PSP Apps reviews as well  (Read 27382 times)

Offline koollectablz

PSP Games reviews - PSP Apps reviews as well
« on: March 22, 2008, 06:46:36 PM »
Reviews for the PSP Game section. 

I scored each game on grafix, sound and gameplay out of 10 ending up with a preliminary score out of 30.  An original entry is an extra 1.5 points (5%) and support for motion is also worth an extra 1.5 points.  Ending up with a total score out of 33.  Well done to every coder who has entered a game.

‘Motion Pong’ by bumuckl - 17/33

When all said and done this is a port of pong – though with a difference – it supports the motion kit!  Very nice implementation with some cool grafix, I scored it:

Grafix: 7/10
Sound: 0/10 – no sound
Gameplay: 7/10 – heck its Pong
Original/Motion: 3/3

‘Orbid’ by slasher – 24.5/33

I found this kinda like snake, where you move around the screen gobbling smaller orbs whilst avoiding bigger ones that in turn gobble you and kill you.  Different modes like ‘avoid’ make for quite good fun gameplay

Grafix: 8/10 – really very nice!
Sound: 8/10 – goes very well
Gameplay: 7/10 – all in all a nice idea, really well implemented.
Original/Motion: 1.5/3

‘Kopbanpsp’ by kaltorak – 0/33

Couldn’t get this to work.

‘Aap Lander’ by Blackshark – 17.5/33

This is a luna lander type game where you blast off and negotiate obstacles and well, that’s all I can really say.

Grafix: 6/10
Sound: 6/10
Gameplay: 4/10

‘Nikwi Deluxe’ by Deniska – 17.5/33

I found this a bit like bubble bobble, why I’ve no idea as its not like it at all.  It’s a platformer type where you collect candy while avoiding being bombed by what look like irate seagulls.  Pretty simple but still good fun.

Sound: 5/10
Gameplay: 5/10 – does get a bit repetitive.

‘Polygunwars’ by ahrimanes – 27.5/33

This is a an awesome asteroids type game, great gameplay with professional looking grafix, in fact its better than some PSP games I’ve paid money for!  It does seem to have a bug whereby it makes my psp hang after a while.

Grafix: 9/10
Sound: 8/10
Gameplay: 9/10

‘Bumper Harvest’ by Kagato – 24.5/33

It’s a kind of pinball game where you shoot a ball at other balls to remove them from the field of play.  Sounds a bit rubbish but in fact is quite addictive and really good fun.  Very nice grafix.

Grafix: 8/10
Sound: 7/10
Gameplay: 8/10

‘Unofficial Cave Story’ by leviadragon – 12.5/33

Weird doesn't really cut it for this game.  You have to catch some balls that fall from the sky, then jump on a dragon, then run away from a fat cloud.  strangely - I quite liked it.

Grafix: 7/10 - nicely done
Sound: 0/10 - no sound on fat or slim for me
Gameplay: 4/10 - when you work out what you have to do it becomes a little less interesting.

‘Scogger’ by scognito – 20.5/33

Dunno if this is too late now but, I've managed to get this running now.  Pretty damn good game as well - gamesplay wise its exactly  like the DS version and I liked that one - a lot!  You're a frog and you have to jump from place to place with each point disappearing as soon as you're jumped it - end result just have the frog left on one stone and move up a level.  Great fun - highly polished!

Grafix: 7/10 - very nice, if ultimately samey from level to level.
Gameplay: 7/10 - good fun

‘Agenaworld’ by edepot – 14.5/33

Ermmm, you’re a triangle in space, with a gun, avoiding things until you collide with squares that move you around a bit.

Grafix: 5/10
Sound: 6/10 – though you can play your own wav’s
Gameplay: 2/10

‘Bugz’ by insertwittyname – 30.5/33!  This must win!

Holy ****!  This is awesome, great gameplay with saves like a retail game, game sharing, uploadable high scoring!  Game itself is annoyingly simple – you kill bugs by blowing them up with domino effect explosions – yet I’ve just spent hours playing it!

Grafix: 9/10
Sound: 10/10 – the music works extremely well
Gameplay: 10/10

‘Convey!’ by saulotmalo – 12.5/33

Simple avoidance game where you control a rolling ball by moving to the left and right down a 10 pin bowling looking track, you have to avoid holes and collect items as you go.  Use all 3 lives and die.

Sound: 3/10
Gameplay: 3/10 – gets boring very quickly

‘Dororo’s Adventure’ by b0rk – 17.5/33

3D!!!! Adventurer where you collect items open locks and generally scoot around places.  Great graphics with a lot of work gone into it.

Grafix: 7/10
Gameplay: 6/10 – I found it quite difficult to control as the camera is pretty temperamental, but still – its 3D homebrew!

‘Paper Battle’ by mitchelljm – 11.5/33

This is a kind of battleships, but with stick people, tanks and a helo port.  No AI to play against so is a two player game on one psp – takes a long time to set up, but it does work and ok for what it does.

Sound: 0/10
Gameplay: 5/10 – just a bit boring

‘Kitten Canon’ by sg57 – 24.5/33

Port of the ever popular game where you fire kittens from a canon trying to make them travel the furthest via trampolines, bombs on balloons and high explosives.  This is a really good port, very easy to get into and great way to play a few hours away!

Sound: 7/10
Gameplay: 8/10 – great game, but is a port.

‘Karuko’ by MK2k – 19.5/33

Sudoku type puzzle game, very easy to understand and very well implemented.

Gameplay: 5/10 – I would like to see the pop up number entering box to be quite a lot larger.

‘Asteroid Barrier’ by pipagerardo – 20.5/33

Asteroids on steroids in Spanish – whats not to like?

Sound: 4/10 – 80s electro pop
Gameplay: 7/10 – as fun as asteroids can get.

‘Lets roll!’ by Da MerV – 0/33

Wouldn’t load.

‘Tetrisbetes’ by dragula96 – 26.5/33

This is probably the best port of tetris for the psp that I’ve ever seen – in fact its much better than a lot of tetris’ on many different consoles.  Includes wall kick and t-spin.  This would win hands down if it was an original game – but it is still a port.

Sound: 10/10 – able to play own mp3
Gameplay: 9/10 – its tetris after all.

‘Look Out!’ by Tanos – 10.5/33

Super simple game.  You are a ball that has to reach a wall without getting stabbed by an arrow.

Grafix: 6/10 – pretty good for what it is.
Sound: 0/10
Gameplay: 3/10 – whole game lasts about a minute.

‘Blowup!’ by gambiting – 17.5/33

Kind of 3D tank controller.  You shoot tomato type things while collecting coins.  This was quite good fun for a bit – though it continually crashed after a while.

Sound: 4/10
Gameplay: 6/10

‘Sushi rubik’ by teamsushi – 18.5/33

Well this does what is says on the tin – it’s a rubik cube on the psp.  Controls work well and its very nice to have an autocomplete feature.  For me though a rubik cube is a physical thing – you need to be able to toss it against a wall when its pissed you off enough.

Grafix: 7/10 – very good, but it needs to keep the background the same when you make a move, the constant changes start to annoy after the first few.
Gameplay: 6/10 – its rubik cube on the psp!

‘Avoid it!’ by cdesseno – 15.5/33

You’re a square and you have to avoid other squares – bit like high school.

Grafix: 4/10
Sound: 3/10 – this gets really annoying
Gameplay: 7/10 – fun for about a minute

‘Impact’ by slicer4ever – 14.5/33

Puzzle type game where you control 2 balls via the arrow pad and try to make them bump into each other whilst avoiding walls.

Gameplay: 5/10 – I liked this idea and can see that with some polish it would make a nice simple little puzzler.

‘Heartlight Deluxe’ by MK2k – 13.5/33

Puzzler where you move an elf? Around a maze collecting hearts and avoiding being crushed by large ball bearings.  Good for a bit.

Gameplay: 5/10

‘The chronicle of Mr. Sun’ – 0/33

Can’t find it to download.

My top ten:

1.   Bugz
2.   Polygunwars
3.   Tetriabetes
4.   Orbid
5.   Bumper Harvest
6.   Kitten Canon
7.   Asteroid Barrier
8.   Scogger
9.   Kakuro Nichiyou
10.   Sushi Rubik

Now onto the Apps!

Reviews for the PSP Application section

I scored each app on grafix, usefulness, and most finally does it work? (DIW).  Again each section is out of 10 with each app resulting in a preliminary score out of 30.  An extra 3 points is up for grabs for an original entry and motion support.

‘Coverflow’ by sony psp player – 0/33

Taking a leaf out of apple’s book this app puts coverflow onto the psp.  Now I use an ipod on a daily basis and coverflow on the psp would be pretty cool.  Unfortunately it just didn’t work – I kept getting an error message and it wouldn’t load.  So;

Grafix: 0/10
Useful: 0/10
DIW: 0/10
Original/Motion: 0/3

‘Dow! 0.2 - Develop on the go’ by bumuckl – 23.5/33

I’ve never coded in Lua, but if you do then this is a very nice app.  Very professional interface with plenty of options.  Nice filebrowser as well.  Sometimes is quite difficult to know where you are as theres no ‘cursor’, but all in all a really nice app.

Grafix: 8/10 – even the splash screens are nice
Useful: 7/10 – develop anywhere anyhow, though its probably more suited to editing here and there rather than writing a total project.
DIW: 7/10 – Yup, works with plenty room for new features.

‘Emu Loader’ by TokyoDrift – 18.5/33

I’m on the fence with this one really.  Is it an app?  Or is it just a nicely put together ‘best of emu’.  Taking it at face value its an all in one repository of pretty much every emu put out for the psp.  And yes it is nice to have a one stop shop for emu’s without loads of them filling up the game menu.  But it would be pointless without including other peoples work (the actual emus) so its usefulness must be in question.

Grafix: 7/10 – very nice
Useful: 3/10 – heck, I like stand alone apps
DIW: 7/10 – to be fair it def does what it says it does

‘PSP-Maps’ by royale – 24.5/33

I liked this.  It worked straight out the box for me and was quite intuitive with the zoom in and zoom out spot on.  Extra fun showing people in the pub.  The address entry worked but the actual input was a PITA – it needs to make use of the psp’s own text input.  Can save favourites and maps to check offline.  You can also increase the cache to make use of some of your memory card so it could do with some kind of space checker to see what the actual available space is.  Now obviously you could use google maps straight from the browser but give that a try and say goodbye to your psp as you toss it into a canal in frustration.

Grafix: 7/10 – its using google’s own images pretty much all the time though.
Useful: 8/10 – I can see this being very useful – integrate a directions to and from and it’s a winner
DIW: 8/10 – text input needs polishing

‘LightMP3 Version’2.0.0 BETA 1’ by sakya – 21.5/33

Hasn’t this been out like for ever?  I know I’ve been using it for months.  At the end of the day it’s the mp3 player for people who like to play mp3s for more than 18 minutes on their psps.  Use this instead of sony’s and using the psp as a music player actually makes a bit more sense.  Just a pity it can’t reduce the actual size of the psp as well as reducing the draw on the battery.  A triumph!

Useful: 10/10
DIW: 5/10- I’m marking this at 5 because its been around for ever, and if this wins then you may as well enter the latest build of irshell and have done with it.

‘Multi Tasker’ by sg57 – 20.5/33

This needs the 1.5 addon to run so slim users are out of luck unless you use time machine to boot into 1.50.  Apart from that – this is an extremely impressive bit of work.  The nearest thing I can compare it to is irshell crossed with pspfiler  Opens loads of types of files including models and mp3s.  Though unlike irshell and pspfiler it then needs some options to then ‘do’ things with the files that it opens, but a great piece of brew.  Some juttering whilst playing Kanye West mp3s, but maybe that’s an inbuilt ‘parental control’ feature.  I like it.

Useful: 7/10
DIW: 6/10 – needs shortcut buttons, and does remind me of windows 95.

‘VisMP3 Media Library / Visualizer’ by arpaagent – 19.5/33

Ok, I liked this.  Yes, its another mp3 player, but its showing plenty of promise.  The visualizations are novel – but not as good as Sony’s.  The buildings moving across the screen in the fireworks one are very offputting – good job you can turn them off.  Very customizable.  Nice fonts, savable playlists.  Good job.

Useful: 6/10
DIW: 7/10

‘Academic Aid Scholastic Suite 6 R769 – Education’ by Mr305 – 22.5/33

Well this is too cool for school.  I almost wish I was back in class to use it.  As the name says – its an academic aid for students.  You’ve got Calculus, some physics, trig and a simple calculator.  Interface is very nice with the GUI spot on.  I’ve tested some of the equations and the simple ones I did are right on the money.  I tried it on a slim and you do have to press the brightness button when it starts up, also the splash panels with the apple logo making the 2nd coming are a bit off putting but its hard to look beyond this as a very nice piece of work indeed.  It supports the motion kit, but for why I don’t really see the point.  Got to be in with a shout for top spot.

Grafix: 6/10 – some of the fonts are a bit large
Useful: 7/10 – good for the target audience
DIW: 8/10 – liked to have seen more physics type apps but great nevertheless

‘AIO Tuner’ by ai3gtmc – 19.5/33

Nice simple tuner app – you can test the strings of a violin, guitar and bass against your real one at home.  Guitar seemed ok, but there is some sound modulation with the bass and I’m not sure about the violin.  Interface nice and simple – though a clearer font would’ve been nice and some animation of the string moving might’ve been a bit cooler.  Pretty darn good idea though.  Might be nice to have a metronome as a feature as well.

Grafix: 5/10 – needs a better font
Useful: 7/10
DIW: 6/10

‘3D GDS’ by saulotmalo – 0/33

Tried it on a slim with time machine 1.50, also a fat with the 1.50 addon – unfortunately I couldn’t get it to work.  Just kicks you out to the xmb.

‘CTorrentPSP - Torrent client for PSP’ by danzel – 25.5/33

Yup, it’s a torrent client for the PSP!  This is my kinda app – its simple, clean looking and does exactly what its supposed to.  Open it up, choose a torrent file to start and bobs your father’s brother.  You do need to add whatever torrents to the torrents folder beforehand though.  Download speed is always going to be an issue so its probably best for mp3 or small files.  Now if you use this in conjunction with pspfiler and actually move the resulting downloaded files into the correct folders – you have a brilliant app.  In fact thinking about it you could browse for torrents with the real browser download them and then copy/paste the file into the correct folder with pspfiler as well.  Room for improvement here.  Still a real contender for best in show.

Grafix: 8/10 – real nice and simple
Useful: 7/10 – great but really needs a file manager
DIW: 9/10 – my #1

My top 5:

1.   CTorrentPSP
2.   PSP-Maps
3.   DOW
4.   Academic Aid
5.   LightMP3

Now onto the GBA/NDS!

« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 08:27:45 PM by koollectablz »

Offline BlackShark

Re: PSP Games reviews
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 03:18:13 AM »
oh shi-, i made the list :P

Offline leviadragon

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 03:48:02 AM »
err...i ve just update my hombrews with slim support!!

Offline sg57

• ...you'll never know what it's like...
    • SG57's Projects
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 10:48:10 AM »
You seem to have judged based on the game itself instead of the changes made in the updated and already released game.  That's how the actual judges do it i believe?  It' to encourage new homebrew, rather then just adding a splash screen to old ones... (I can name a few games that have done this)

And for the record - Kitten Cannon is a clone ;)

(isn't Bugz's gameplay a clone as well? just different GFX? )

Great reviews none the less.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 12:16:30 PM by sg57 »
...you'll never know what it's like...
...spending your whole life in a dream...

Offline InsertWittyName

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 11:38:53 AM »
The chain-reaction gameplay in Bugz is based on the chain-reaction gameplay in Boomshine yes, as I stated (and credited) in my submission post.

'Just different gfx' doesn't really show the difference between bugz and Boomsine now does it?

Trying to bring other games down doesn't raise your own game, SG.

Offline sg57

• ...you'll never know what it's like...
    • SG57's Projects
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 12:15:05 PM »
IWN - If you read his reviews - he makes little notes stating why gameplay scores get the scores they do.  He said mine got an 8 - it's a port.  I did port the gameplay over, that's the score it deserves ok cool no problem there. You ported over the Boomshine gameplay yet it gets no such note.

Who says I'm bringing down other's games?  I'm asking in hope to hear that games are getting fair reviews, not a bias opinion.  Sorry if that's wrong  :-\

Passing judgment on people based off assumptions is not like you...

EDIT

It's useless to argue over such a small matter, not like it will do any good and effect the over all outcome so there's no real point to it and the fact that this could turn into a knotted mess between us is something I want to avoid.

Are we cool IWN?  ~sm-40.gif~
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 04:49:19 PM by sg57 »
...you'll never know what it's like...
...spending your whole life in a dream...

Offline Dr.neo

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 12:54:47 PM »
In my world,have 0 and 1 only ......Matrix World......

Offline BlackShark

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 01:15:21 PM »
IWN - If you read his reviews - he makes little notes stating why gameplay scores get the scores they do.  He said mine got an 8 - it's a port.  The fact I ported the gameplay over is true - I'm totally fine wit that. You ported over the Boomshine gameplay yet it gets no such note.

And who says I'm bringing down other's games?  I'm asking in hope to hear that games are getting fair reviews, not a reviewer's bias opinion.  Sorry if that's wrong  :-\

~sm-39.gif~

Offline dragula96

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2008, 10:59:26 PM »
IWN - If you read his reviews - he makes little notes stating why gameplay scores get the scores they do.  He said mine got an 8 - it's a port.  I did port the gameplay over, that's the score it deserves ok cool no problem there. You ported over the Boomshine gameplay yet it gets no such note.

Who says I'm bringing down other's games?  I'm asking in hope to hear that games are getting fair reviews, not a bias opinion.  Sorry if that's wrong  :-\

EDIT

It's useless to argue over such a small matter, not like it will do any good and effect the over all outcome so there's no real point to it and the fact that this could turn into a knotted mess between us is something I want to avoid.

Are we cool IWN?  ~sm-40.gif~

yep, polygunwars is also a port of geometry wars in a way too i guess.
no note there :p

Offline koollectablz

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2008, 11:06:19 PM »
As I say in my reviews, the tetris port would win hands down if it was an original game - its not BUT it still scores very highly for gameplay.  All the top games have elements (to a greater or lesser extent) of older classic games.  I just felt that bugz seemed that little bit more 'fun' as it has ongoing levels and an increasing difficulty.

Kitten Canon is, and always has been a genius 'one note wonder'.

To be fair, nearly all the entries are of an extremely high standard and are very accomplished.

My little notes aren't meant to be totally exclusive - after all theres quite a few that are really just asteroids with additions.

Offline Slasher

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 01:39:44 AM »
You seem to have judged based on the game itself instead of the changes made in the updated and already released game.  That's how the actual judges do it i believe?
Just to clarify, the judges DO NOT base their decisions solely on that. It may play a factor into how they judge the game, but in the end it comes down to game play regardless of if you have updated your game or not from a previous version.

(No offence) Take afkim for example. It had minimal updates, and yet it won the psp application award how many times? 2-3 maybe 4 times?

If a game has been previously released, it doesn't matter. Otherwise, this competition wouldn't allow it.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 01:41:23 AM by Slasher »

Offline dragula96

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2008, 01:45:41 AM »
As I say in my reviews, the tetris port would win hands down if it was an original game - its not BUT it still scores very highly for gameplay.  All the top games have elements (to a greater or lesser extent) of older classic games.  I just felt that bugz seemed that little bit more 'fun' as it has ongoing levels and an increasing difficulty.

Kitten Canon is, and always has been a genius 'one note wonder'.

To be fair, nearly all the entries are of an extremely high standard and are very accomplished.

My little notes aren't meant to be totally exclusive - after all theres quite a few that are really just asteroids with additions.

yea, to be fair, almost all psp homebrew that I HAVE SEEN, is either based on or  influenced on existing games, thats not a bad thing at all, it just means people enjoy those games so much, that they decide to make their own version of those games.

good luck all!
 :)

Offline koollectablz

Re: PSP Games reviews - PSP Apps reviews as well
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2008, 09:48:28 AM »
I've added my PSP apps reviews to the OP, they're a little longer than the games but as they're apps rather than games it seems a bit more of a description would make sense.  I've got a slim and a phat and I tried all apps in all possible configs to get them to work.

Offline Mr305

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2008, 10:03:47 AM »
Hey Kollectablez,
I appreciate your review. Have you added +5 for Original enter/motion support?

Regarding Big fonts, can you take a screenshot and tell me
 which ones you thought were big? I can fix it in next version.

Offline koollectablz

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2008, 10:23:15 PM »
I don't have a motion kit so I'm slightly reticent to mark either the games or apps up on the basis that they say they do support it.  Not that I don't believe it - its just that I feel I can only score on what I've personally experienced - I see some have scored games/apps just on screenshots when they themselves haven't got it to work.

To me if I can't get it to work on my psp - it scores zero.

Also whilst your app does support the motion kit its hard to see that its implementation was in any really useful way - its used just to choose items rather than an integral part of the app - if it could have been used in the physics section showing, I dunno, simple levers in action etc, I think it would have made more sense.

That said your app is extremely well put together and TBH I'm still having a think about my final top 5 - it could be subject to change.

I'll post some screenshots of the fonts later on in the day.