Author Topic: PSP Games (firmware 1.5 only)  (Read 6604 times)

Offline b0rk

PSP Games (firmware 1.5 only)
« on: March 23, 2008, 07:12:57 AM »
I'm only reviewing the games for 1.50 since that's what I have, feel free to ignore this post. I'm only posting since I think the developers would love to see as much feedback as they can.

I'm rating out of 30, converting to percent, then adding the bonuses.
x/10 for Controls and Gameplay.
x/10 for Presentation (graphics and sounds).
x/10 for Effort (developer skill and game features).
+5% for Original (never entered into neoflash compo before).
+5% for Motion support.

Aap Lander .2
Controls and Gameplay: 9/10 Controls are fine. Gameplay is good but requires patience, a minimap/radar might help speed things up. The background doesn't scroll at all, so on some levels you can't tell how fast you're moving.
Presentation: 8/10 graphics and sounds are good. I did see some debug message boxes. Also the particle effects didn't seem to come out at the correct angle, for example if I fly up the sparks go rightwards.
Effort: 10/10 Good game, appropriate features, decent amount of play time too.
Original: YES +5
Motion: NO
Splash screen: YES
Total: 27/30 +5% original => 95%

Bumper Harvest
Controls and Gameplay: 8/10 good controls but feels slow to watch the ball, you could say watching paint dry? (only joking).
Presentation: 10/10 graphics and sounds are good.
Effort: 8/10 could do with more extras like highscores.
Original: YES +5%
Total: 26/30 +5% original => 92%

Convey
Controls and Gameplay: 8/10 controls are nice and simple, I managed to get to level 3 but after that it's too fast/hard for me.
Presentation: 10/10 music seemed to be suitable and it even comes with different graphics packs.
Effort: 8/10 I saw a redraw bug once and I would like to be able to choose what level I start at.

Heartlight Deluxe PSP 1.0
Wasn't kxploited.

Unrated.

Impact
Controls and Gameplay: 8/10 sometimes it just feels like the balls don't want to move in a certain direction until I back up a bit first. There's also no pause or way to get back to the menu once you start a game.
Presentation: 7/10 I can see what I'm supposed to do, but it could be made better. I find the font is a little hard to read. The music loop also feels too short, or it could just be the ending making it annoying.
Effort: 9/10 the game itself is good and it comes with a range of extra features.
Total: 24/30 +5% original => 85%

Orbid V2
Controls and Gameplay: 9/10 controls are fine and there's a wide variety of game modes, although I can't imagine myself playing this game often.
Presentation: 8/10 It all seemed a bit too dark, but it's still playable. Some of the text was a bit small too. I couldn't hear any music, could just be 1.5 but the XMB does support at3 when browsing the game icons.
Effort: 9/10 Good range of play modes and options. I think it just needs tweaking a bit more.

Paper Battle
Controls and Gameplay: 7/10 it's 2 player human vs human on 1 PSP, sorry to be blunt but I think it would just be faster to use pen and paper. One thing I would like to see is larger dots, 1 pixel is too small.
Presentation: 7/10 nothing flashy here, but I don't think it was ever meant to be, no sound either.
Effort: 8/10 It seems a lot of time was spent on this, but it could be made even better.
Splash screen: NO (although I did find it in the files)
Total: 22/30 +5% original => 78%

TetriAbetes
Controls and Gameplay 10/10: Yes it's a copy of tetris but the controls were fine and I didn't see any bugs.
Presentation: 10/10 graphics and sound were of good quality, I like the guide showing how the block will land.
Effort: 9/10 There was a pause button and a highscore, but it doesn't save your "guide" setting.
Total: 29/30 +5% original => 102%

The Chronicle of Mr. SUN
Controls and Gameplay 8/10: Controls are fine, gameplay is a little frustrating when you can only fire one shot at a time and almost never dodge the boss weapons, so I always die before completing the game.
Presentation: 9/10 graphics and sound work well, although crackles sometimes.
Effort: 10/10 There are so many nice touches in this game.
Total: 27/30 +5% original => 95%

Unofficial Cave Story: Return To World
Controls and Gameplay 7/10: There is 1 player or 2 player mode which is nice, but after that it feels more like a toy than a game. For example after you catch the mimigas they keep falling instead of disappearing. In the boss level not much seemed to happen at all.
Presentation: 8/10 the graphics and music are nice but there aren't any sound effects. There were a few visual glitches too.
Effort: 8/10 It looks nice but when you play it there isn't much to do.
Total: 23/30 +5% original => 82%

Final ranking:
#1 TetriAbetes 102%
#2 The Chronicle of Mr. SUN 95%
#3 Bumper Harvest (joint 3rd) 92%
#3 Convey (joint 3rd) 92%
#3 Orbid V2 (joint 3rd) 92%
#6 Impact 85%
#7 Unofficial Cave Story: Return To World 82%
#8 Paper Battle 78%

Edit:
Added reviews for Orbid V2, TetriAbetes and Unofficial Cave Story: Return To World.
Changed scoring method to use percent so the +5 original is scaled better (this means you can get up to 110%).

Edit 2:
Added review for Aap Lander .2, since this version has bug fixes from .1 (compo version) I don't think it would be fair to put it into the final ranking.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 11:56:25 PM by b0rk »

Offline Dr.neo

• Administrator
Re: PSP Games (firmware 1.5 only)
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 12:52:09 PM »
* NDS(GBA) and PSP APP division
There are 10 winners for NDS(GBA) App and 5 winners for PSP App, total 10+5 winners.

the PSP game division should have top 10, only the PSP APP have top 5  ::sm-05::
In my world,have 0 and 1 only ......Matrix World......

Offline b0rk

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 09:06:30 PM »
Yes I know, you can ignore this thread for "NEO Top Reviewer". You can move it to another forum if you don' t think it's appropriate here.

Offline dragula96

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 01:49:36 AM »
@ bork, just so you know Tetriabetes should work on 1.50, unless its official 1.50.
there is a  link to a 1.50 OFW version here:
www.tetriabetes.com

however that download does not have the neoflash logo on it, everyting else is the same.

Offline leviadragon

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 02:26:11 AM »
i have just kxploit my hombrews for your reviews, look at my topic.

regards

Offline b0rk

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 04:45:27 AM »
Thanks dragula96 and leviadragon, I have updated my reviews and also added Orbid V2 if Slasher is reading this.

Offline BlackShark

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 10:57:50 AM »
Yes I know, you can ignore this thread for "NEO Top Reviewer". You can move it to another forum if you don' t think it's appropriate here.
http://forums.qj.net/f-psp-development-forum-11/t-releaseaap-lander-v2-137557.html
This comes with a 1.5 version of my game for you to review  ~sm-37.gif~

Offline b0rk

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 12:01:54 AM »
Thanks, I added a review but since it's a new version I didn't rank it. I don't think my ranks are going to be used anyway.

Offline BlackShark

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 09:11:53 AM »
kewl, glad you liked the game, and thanks for the awesome rating.