Author Topic: NDS Division (Games and Apps) reviews by thebawp [COMPLETE]  (Read 9813 times)

Offline thebawp

• Brotherhood of the Underworld.
NDS Division (Games and Apps) reviews by thebawp [COMPLETE]
« on: April 05, 2008, 05:48:28 AM »
NeoFlash 2008 Competition NDS Application Reviews

My Top 5 Applications (in order)

1. Tabbed ~ An inventive and useful application for the DS that is a must download for any musicians!

2. Spinal's Media Player ~ A great application that supports many video formats so you can watch your favourite movies on the move.

3. DSision ~ If you're bored of your Flashcart O/S, give it a makeover with this application.

4. DS-Dos ~ If like me, you long for the days of DOS, take a trip down memory lane with this DOS like OS for your flashcart.

5. JabberDS ~ Got a wifi connection but not at your PC?  Chat to friends with this handy little application.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tabbed:

I found the interface to be very neat and responsive, and there's some nice little touches like the ability to select different fonts (although some of the selectable fonts are a bit tricky to see!) and backgrounds. 

I must profess to knowing next to nothing about guitar tabs though, so I can't comment in as much detail as the application deserves.  The added drum machine is nice (I even managed to compose a very basic tune on it!) and the metronome feature is cool, though I'm not entirely sure how practical it could be to a budding musician. 

If I wanted to impress some of my more musically inclined friends however, I'd be sure to show them this. 

8/10

Wee Basic 0.4

I'll admit to knowing very little (read: nothing) about BASIC at all, so it's quite hard to comment fairly on this application.  The interface seems responsive enough, and supports the dual screens (keyboard in lower section of the screen, text at the top) but there's very little else I can say.  Certainly, this could be of some use to any programmers out there.

6/10 

DS Plotter

I found this to be an interesting little widget, though I'm not sure how entirely useful it could be.  It reminded me of a much more user friendly and colourful etch-a-sketch - however, the use of the DS was pretty disappointing (no touch screen, only top portion of the screen used) although I do understand it supports DSMotion (which I was unable to test).  I thought it was also a shame that there was no way to save your creations. 

5/10

DSF

Again, I'm afraid I have very little knowledge about this application, although my understanding of it is that it is a file interpreter.  It would have been nice if the app had come with a sample for me to try, but alls I can really comment on is that the interface seemed to work well enough.

5/10

FAT Player Mikmod

An interesting application with a fairly well implemented and visually effective GUI with plenty of supported track types.  I found this to be a quite well designed application, which was neat and simple to use.

7/10

DSBash

This is a fun and novel application although I found the GUI to be quite 'busy' and a tad hard to read.  Still, if you have access to a wifi connection and need to kill some time, this is a great little tool to pass the time by reading 'net quotes!  It's also handy that you can save your favourite quotes to a text file on the DS. 

7/10

JabberDS

I was quite impressed with this application, which is basically a chat client for the DS, but I though it was let down by the keyboard as it seemed a touch unresponsive.  I think more work is needed to make this a little more polished and effective, but as it stands, I think this works well and is definately a useful application to have on the DS.

7/10

DSision

This is an application that can basically be used to replace the shell on your flashcart.  I love customising everything I own, so it's nice to see plenty of options to customise as it's fully skinnable and even the start up sound can be changed to something of your own choosing.  It was definately a nice change navigating my flashcart via touchscreen!  Smart.

7.5/10   

Mediatheque DS v1.0

I've never personally understood the appeal of maintaining lists of all the books/dvds/music I own, so I see even less appeal in doing it on the DS.  Having said that, this application seems to do the job very well, and I think for someone interested in keeping their libraries on them might find this a useful little tool.  It's nice that you can edit the info directly on the DS, and the filters are flexible and work well.  If you do let your friends borrow your stuff, you can also make a note using this application, which is quite cool. 

7/10

Flashcart OS

The second new flashcart OS of the contest, but I'm afraid this isn't quite as good as DSicion.  Though it appears quite polished, I didn't find the control scheme as intuative as that found on DSision.  It's an okay alternative flashcart OS for those looking for one though. 

6/10

Reno Studio

I can remember when I first got into the DS homebrew scene, and looking everywhere for a really good text editor.  There were one or two half finished application, but it was only when DS Organize really began to develop that I finally found what I wanted.  If Reno Studio had been around at the time, then I think it would have been a nice alternative, particularly because it has handwriting recognition.  However, I didn't find the GUI to be that user friendly, and it looks very basic. 

7/10

DS-DOS

I grew up with DOS, so this is application inspires quite a bit of nostalgia for me!  It's quite fun to use this to launch files, but really, I can't say it's that practical.  It's definately different though, and makes a nice change.

7.5/10

Spinal's Media Player

I've never tried playing movies on my DS, so this was a first time and I was actually quite impressed.  The interface is slick and functional, and allows you to fast forward and you can even resume any clip you've been watching.  I think with a little more work (so that movies don't have to just be stored in the root) this could be a very useful, handy application. 

8/10

In all, I have to say this was a very interesting experience for me.  I do consider to have a lot of interest for the homebrew DS scene, but I've never really played around with a lot of the applications out there.  I think ALL of the entries do very well in representing how varied, inventive and just damn cool the coders behind the homebrew scene are.  I bow down to you all!   

~sm-43.gif~
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 01:45:11 AM by thebawp »

Offline thebawp

Re: NDS Division reviews by thebawp
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 05:49:29 AM »
Neoflash 2008 Competition NDS/GBA Game Reviews

My Top 10 Games (in order)

1. LoneWolfDS ~ Play the popular gamebook on your DS, with automated battles, game saves and more!

2. ASCIIWAR 0.9999 ~ This is a faithful homage to the classic game Rogue, but with a technological twist.  Addictive and fiendish fun. 

3. Super Wings ~ A frantic but retro flying shooter with awesome power ups and fast action.

4. Escape From Island   ~  Adventure fans everywhere should give this a whirl, this game showcases what an excellent platform the DS is for the genre.

5. Game Melody Oratorio  ~  Learn to play classic video game tunes with this polished piece of kit.

6. Legion ~  Quirky dialogue, 3D graphics and some fun shooting action - and this project's only in its early stages!  Definately one to watch the development of.

7. Electro ~  A puzzle game that's just a bit different, but still plenty of fun and with great visuals and acoustics.

8. AREA TEN ~  Another interesting puzzle game, it starts off simple, but soon gets frantic!

9. Piztog Tower Defence ~  A very well laid out, polished piece of homebrew, that sees you constructing defence towers (No, really!) to attack any passing invaders. 

10. Dice Soldiers ~  Play with up to 5 other opponents (CPU or humans) to CONQUER THE WORLD.  With dice.  Although actually, there are no dice in the game. 

Snake Dual Screen      edddy       
Impressions:  Being a fan of the original snake, I was intrigued by the idea of playing the game on the DS.  The idea of making the game play over both screens is a nice idea, but I'm not sure if it's entirely successful, as I often found myself clearing one screen then the next, rather than scrolling back and forth over the two.

Presentation:  Cheap and cheerful, with a very homemade look about it, although I'd like to stress this is no bad thing.  The music is fairly pleasant and upbeat, and suits the graphical style well.

Gripes:  First few levels are almost painfully slow.  The sound effect of your snake dying is a bit random (sounds like a duck!)

Closing Comments:  It's a nice effort which is quite well realised.  I'm not sure if it's a classic, in a way, there's almost too much added to this game which detracts from the essentially classic gameplay.

Score: 7/10
Game Melody Oratorio      DesertDog   

Impressions:  This is a simple idea, with the aim of helping players to learn classic video game themes on the piano.  The keyboard is perfectly responsive, and the 'recital' stage is nicely executed.

Presentation :  It's simple without anything overly fancy, but it serves its purpose well enough.  It's presented in a clean and pleasant manner.

Gripes:  None, this is a smart, well executed idea.  A few more songs might be nice but as it stands, this is a very nice piece of homebrew.

Closing Comments:  Very impressive.  This type of homebrew is what really makes me think the DS homebrew scene is great to be a part of.

Score: 8/10 

ChessNET - Online Chess Game (Release 1)      CYBER_Aeon       

Impressions: Everything is responsive, and well implemented.  I liked that you could easily resume local games.

Presentation:  The presentation is simple but slick. 

Gripes:  It would have been nice for a single player option, but I know it's meant to be multiplayer.  Also, I could not connect to server for online gaming, which is a great shame.

Closing comments:  Development is still ongoing, but I think this seems to be a well supported project that's definately worth keeping an eye on.   

Score: 7.5/10

Legion      smealum     

First Impressions:  Everything about this game is very impressive from the start.  It has a very professional air about it, with lots of dialogue (with some fun ideas), interesting characters, and a very 'fallout' feel to it. 

Presentation: Very slick, very stylish.  Music is well suited to game and is as slick as the graphics.  However, some areas seem a little lifeless though and because your own character takes up a large part of the screen, sometimes you don't see enemies until you're face to face with them which makes shooting them a bit tricky and wild at times.

Gripes:  In the dialogue sections, when trying to go to the next page, you have to tap 'next' more than once which can get a little tedious.  There are still some bugs present (you're able to enter areas you shouldn't).

Closing comments: Overall, I think this is extremely promising and is probably the most ambitious of all the entries, but this is not a finished product which makes it hard to rate it above more polished entries.

Star Wars Battles      space1       
Impressions:  I'm a big battleships fan, and a Star Wars fan to boot, so I was interested in this immediately. 

Presentation: Nice use of sound effects and music (I paused the game whilst writing down my thoughts and was treated to the Star Wars bar music!) and appropriate graphics, the controls are also fairly responsive.

Gripes:  The mini game, although a nice idea, can get a little tedious especially when you've hit a ship one turn, and your opponent hits your ship the turn after. Also, the AI is definately flawed. Additionally, there is no indication of your own ships damage, or when you've actually destroyed one of your opponents ships.  No 2 player option?

Closing Comments:  Overall, this is a nice effort, with an interesting twist on a classic game.  However, there are too many niggling flaws in this to make it a mainstay on my homebrew cart.

Score: 6.5/10

PongClassicDS (0.5)     minishlink   
Impressions:  I really wasn't keen on the music at all (to the point that I had to turn it down completely.)  There's plenty of levels of difficulty to choose from, and the psychedelic mode makes things a little more interesting.

Presentation:  Very basic, I expected 'psychedelic' mode might bring in a touch of colour, but everything remained a resolute black and white.

Gripes:  The music (as already mentioned) and that I just didn't find it very fun to play. 

Closing comment:  Not a bad effort, but it's not something I'll be playing in the foreseeable future.   

Escape From Island      Ben2303     

Impressions:  This is a smart and fairly fun adventure game, with some nice little nods to old school Lucasarts point n clicks like Zak McKracken, Indiana Jones and Day of the Tentacle.  The puzzles aren't terribly taxing, and the game only took about 20 minutes to complete, but it was fun nonetheless.

Presentation: Very nice presentation, with nicely drawn graphics and nice music.  The game works well on the NDS, with good use of the touch screen/dual screen.  It's easy to travel from screen to screen using the stylus or the cross pad, and it's equally easy to flip to your inventory screen via touching the back pack icon with your stylus or just clicking L or R.  Again, it's easy to combine items via drag and drop.

Gripes: None really.  There are one or two leaps in logic and a red herring or two, but those are things commonly present in most adventure games!

Closing Comments: A fun diversion that has been ported well to the DS.  The interface is pretty much without fault, and it's hard to think of a more perfect candidate for conversion to the DS.

ASCIIWAR 0.9999      samel 

Impressions: Wow, just wow.  I have always been a massive fan of roguelikes, so to see asciiwars and play it on my DS is amazing.  The command list at first is a little daunting (a lot to remember), and I didn't take it all in to begin with.  The game itself is extremely smooth and well implemented. The keyboard works very well and is very responsive, and the controls are well thought out.  Being able to map a command to the A, X, and Y button is a definite plus.

Presentation: Sure the graphics are only asci characters, but to me they're beautiful.

Additional thoughts:  The intro is a nice touch, with missing characters and broken English which perfectly illustrate the idea that things have gotten corrupted in a nasty way.  The first few plays saw me die very quickly but I got to see that the scoreboard seemed to work perfectly.  I soon learned that resting is essential to survival, as was the help menu (easily found by touching L and hitting h on the keyboard).  Also, the spell system is essential, and a very nice feature which I don't really recall using so much in a rogue-like game before.     

Gripes:  Some 'monsters' can be hard to see (dark grey c's on a black/light grey background) and of course you can't attack diagonally (though that is a fault of the DS rather than the game). 

Closing comments: I sense there's a lot of depth to this game despite the deceptively simple appearance of it. This is definitely a game I will be keeping on my supercard.

Score: 8.5/10

Scogger 0.2      scognito   

Impressions:  The opening screens of this game are pretty polished for homebrew.  From the title, I expected a fogger esque game, and I wasn't misled.

Presentation:  Quite polished.  I wouldn't quite say it's commercial quality (although it definately beats some of the shovelware commercial releases!) with clear, colourful graphics, and soundtrack that was quite reminiscent of Banjo-Kazooie.

Gameplay:  This is a fun little puzzle game that I actually found quite challenging.

Gripes:  The 'herald' music at the start of each level is fine, but as it repeats every time you restart a failed level (which can happen very quickly), it soon gets a bit irritating, but I could mute it. 

Closing comments:  This is an entertaining and well thought out diversion.  It's not the most flashy game in the contest, but it's well realised. 

DiceSoldiers     t4ils       
Impressions:  I've never played Risk, so I wasn't sure what to expect.  After a few turns (and after watching the cpus duke it out) I soon got the idea, though I've got a lot more to learn. 

Presentation:  I thought the music was suitable for the game, and the graphics weren't bad, although having everything cramped onto the bottom screen wasn't ideal.

Additional thoughts:  As a new comer to this type of game, I'll admit to being a bit overwhelmed at first.  I found it very difficult to begin with, but I can see myself learning to enjoy this.   

Gripes:  A tutorial mode might have been a good addition for those new to the game, and not everything is labelled clearly (that button you can put a red X through when beginning a game - what is that for?).

Closing comments:  This is a good game which is enhanced by the fact you can have multiple players.  It's well executed, with responsive controls.   

DualShooter      eadmaster     

Impressions:  There's little to form first impressions on, but this is a scrolling flight/shooter which utilised the dual screen function and the touch controls.

Presentation:  The graphics and sound are both nothing too advanced, but they do the job.  They do seem a little 'flat' though. The start screen is also disappointingly basic.

Additional thoughts:  I thought this game made good use of both the dual screens and the touch controls, although you could use the D pad if preferred.  I was also impressed by how fast the game was, with no slowdown despite all the action. 

Gripes:  I wasn't that keen personally on the music.   

Closing comments:  This is frantic, fast, fun shooter, but it's a touch on the basic side. 

Electro      chris28       

Presentation:  The presentation of this game is excellent, and I'd say it could easily be mistaken for a piece of commercial software.  The graphics, whilst not anything amazing, are polished and look good.  There's a nice selection of tunes to listen to while you play aswell. 

Additional thoughts:  This is an original game that is quite fun to play, although, as with a lot of puzzle games, it can also be frustrating.

Gripes:  Sometimes, the screen doesn't register your stylus taps which can be frustrating.  Also, I'm still not sure if I'm sold on the left to right concept.

Closing comments:  I think this is certainly a piece of homebrew I could see myself recommending to others.

JaPongG      leinad       

Impressions:  Not a lot.  This is a faithful recreation of Pong. 

Presentation:  Everything about this game is extremely basic.  There's no sound, and the graphics are what you'd expect from a Pong game.  I did like that all the instructions were on the top half of the screen at the start.

Gripes: The basic presentation will not appeal to a lot of people. 

Closing comments: If you want to play Pong on your DS, this is the game I'd recommend. Yes, it's simple, but it's fun.  You can play vs. the cpu or a friend, and I liked that there was an option to play across the 2 screens too.

15c. ULTIMATE SLIDING PUZZLE - Pack Arcade      kukulcan       
15b. ULTIMATE SLIDING PUZZLE - Pack Sci-Fi      kukulcan 
15a. ULTIMATE SLIDING PUZZLE - Pack Ecchi       kukulcan       

Impressions:  There's a lot of detail, here, so if you like sliding puzzles, this would be heaven. 

Presentation:  Everything is clean and clear, and well presented and the music is fairly interesting to listen to.

Additional thoughts:  I found it disappointing that you couldn't use the stylus when playing the puzzles although I suppose it makes more sense to use the dpad.  There are a lot of different puzzles in each pack, almost to an exhaustive extent!

Gripes:  No touch screen control in the puzzles. 

Closing comments:  For sliding puzzle fans, I wouldn't recommend anything else!

AREA TEN      kukulcan       

Impressions:  I had to read the info screen to find out what to do (it's good that it was provided), but I was initially very impressed by this game.  Further investigation proved it to fulfil my early expectations.

Presentation:  The presentation for this game has clearly had a lot of work put into it.  The menus look good, the controls are responsive, and generally, the graphics are pretty good.  The music is pretty cool, but after a while, I had to turn it down, as it's quite brash.   

Additional thoughts:  This is quite a fun puzzler that can soon get quite challenging.  I did like that the speed and size of the balls could be altered to your own preference. 

Gripes:  I got the blue and red areas confused because I was looking at the sides of the screens rather than the colours of the actual play area. 
Closing comments:  An interesting concept that's well executed and fun to play. 

Super Wings [GBA]      eKid       

Impressions:  The introduction sequence and title screen is pretty basic, but none of that really matters once you begin to play.

Presentation:  Although you could argue the graphics look dated, I think they look great.  There are some nice vehicle animations and varied back drops which reflect any explosions by leaving dark patches behind. The music is well suited to the action.

Additional thoughts:  I love the dialogue in this game, particularly the text you get when you die.  It made me chuckle!  Also, the power ups you can pick up are very cool!

Gripes:  I could have done with more lives and when I first began to play, the game did stutter very slightly. 

Closing comments:  This is fast paced and frantic, and actually very fun.  It's also quite challenging, but not annoyingly so, it just makes it more satisfactory to play as you get better.  Really, this is an excellent game and one I would happily recommend to shooter fans.

LoneWolfDS - Flight From The Dark       Michoko     

Impressions:  I must admit that I am a huge fan of the Lonewolf game books, so when I saw this had been made for the DS, I was very excited by the prospect.  Just to replay the books would have been enough to make me very happy, but what Michoko has delivered was above and beyond even my wildest expectations.

Presentation:  The presentation of this homebrew is stunning.  I think I could easily convince any of my friends that this was a commercial piece of software.  The music is very suitable for playing along too, it's quite dark and atmospheric, and the composition quality is very good.  The page turning sound effect is a very sweet touch. 

Additional thoughts:  The execution of this homebrew is note perfect.  The layout is superb, and there has not been a feature implemented that does not work incredibly well.  The touch screen controls are responsive, the battles and stats all work well and of course, it's based on a great story.  You can also save your progress at any time, and it's so much fun, you'll want to play each and every path you can.     

Gripes:  This is only the first game book, so I hope the entire series is converted to this format. 

Closing comments:  I've been a Lone Wolf fan for years, but it's projects like this that should win the series a whole new set of fans. LoneWolfDS is certainly my favourite entry of the Neoflash contest, but also the most impressive piece of homebrew I've played.  It actually makes the gamebooks more fun to play, because it takes away all of the tedious elements (rolling the dice for battles/keeping track of inventory) and does it all for you.   

Score:9.5/10

MarbleMan: The Arena     MagNet       

Impressions: The howto screen is quite helpful, and the whole style of the game feels quite retro to me. 

Presentation:  The graphics are fairly simple, but are effective.  The music is okay, but I had to turn it down after a while.

Additional thoughts: This is a game of survival against the clock, and the action can get quite frantic, with lots of obstacles thrown in the way.  It's fun and fast, and although the concept is fairly simple it is well executed. 

Gripes:  I found it tricky to get to grips with the stylus controls. 

Closing comments:  It's a shame I couldn't try out the DSMotion controls, as I really think Marbleman would be a lot more fun using them. 

Chocobo World Deluxe    Davgav       

I'm afraid I had some problems running this.  After patching it for my Supercard, it did run, but I got error screens.  I restarted, got into the game properly but it froze. 

Score: Unable to score.

NoobMiniGames      tiancai 

Impressions:  I thought this was going to actually be a collection of mini games, but it's actually spot the difference, with a few different pictures.

Presentation:  Everything is well laid out and the touch screen is pretty responsive.  The graphics are quite nice and fairly polished. 

Additional thoughts:  I think there has been some nice work done here, the interface really is very good, and you can even save your scores, but it lacks any depth to be anything more than a 5 minute play.   

Gripes:  Basically you just have to touch the differences, rather than circle them, but this can be a touch frustrating on some as you might not touch the right spot.  Also, the same pictures seemed to cycle through quite quickly.  It would have been nice if you could choose which picture you wanted to play. 

Closing comments: This isn't a bad piece of homebrew and it's mildly diverting, but it really lacks the depth to make it stand out at all.

Score: 5/10 

Piztog Tower Defence     Shoog   

Impressions:  I was quite interested in this game as I've never played a Tower Defence game before.  Playing it was certainly a different experience. 

Presentation:  The graphics and music is fairly slick, with options to change the song in the level.  Although there's quite a bit to take in, the actual layout of the game is very good, with some nice info screens and on screen instructions to give you an idea of how to do things.   

Additional thoughts:  There looks like there has been quite a lot of effort put into this game.  Everything seems well thought out, there are plenty of options, and I think fans of this type of game would love it.

Gripes:  This really could have done with some kind of tutorial, or more detailed info for the unitiated.  Also, as this is only a beta, there are parts that don't work yet (like the save).

Closing comments:  This is one of the more polished entries (though it's not complete), but offers a simple and easy way to play a tower game on your DS. 

Puzl      SiW       

Impressions:  This is not far from seeming a professional piece of software, with everything fairly straight forward and well laid out. 

Presentation:  The presentation is fairly slick and effective, with some fairly peppy music to accompany while you play. 

Additional thoughts:  This seems to be a work in progress, as I could only select one of the options (quick play).  The touch screen controls are responsive enough.   

Gripes:  The area for all the jigsaw pieces (bottom screen) is just too small to make this easy to play.  Also, I could find no way to quit a game and get back to the main screen, or to mute the music (which after a while did grate). 

Closing comments:  I'm not a jigsaw fan at all, and Puzl did little to change that.  I can, however, see it's merits as a game, and am sure jigsaw puzzle fans would enjoy it. 

Super Mario : The Last GBA Quest       omg       

Impressions:  Being a big fan of Mario games, I was quite intrigued by this game.  Early signs are promising.

Presentation:  This could easily be an genuine Mario game in terms of the graphics and sound.  Very polished and colourful.

Additional thoughts:  For fans of Mario, this is a nice wander down memory lane.  I thought the bomb koopas were an inventive touch (not seen them in any other Mario platformer). 

Gripes:  The controls weren't quite as smooth as I would have liked, and Mario seemed very slow if you didn't hold down B (but I find that with most Mario games!).

Closing comments:  Although this looks and almost plays exactly like a Mario game, I found the level of difficulty early on a bit frustrating.  It could just be me getting old, but it drained my enjoyment considerably. 

As with the applications, I am pretty much blown away by how creative and hardworking the coders in this community are.  Almost every game I tried made me look at the DS in a slightly different way, and although it was quite a long process to play each game and also review it, I never found it to be a chore. 

Again, I bow down to the coders behind these games.   ~sm-43.gif~
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 02:13:53 AM by thebawp »

Offline smealum

• Neo-Newbie
    • Smea's DevBlog
Re: NDS Division (Games and Apps) reviews by thebawp
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 01:08:31 AM »
You should have done Top 10 instead of Top 5, because there are prizes for the 10 first projects, not only the 5 first.  :P
Except for that, very good reviews, even if my game isn't in the top 5, i think you're right on most of the things you said, very objective.  :)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 02:57:13 AM by smealum »

Offline thebawp

Re: NDS Division (Games and Apps) reviews by thebawp
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 01:13:13 AM »
Thanks for the comments, I may extend to a top 10 before the end of the day which I agree would be fairer for the games category as there are a lot of them!    Legion would have been in the top 5, but I had to include the games I thought were the most finished really, hence the exclusion.  =)

Thanks again though, it took me quite a while to do, but I don't think this can compare to a even a fraction of the work any of you guys had to put into your own projects!

Edit:  I've extended my game list to a top 10 as suggested and elaborated a little.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 01:42:25 AM by thebawp »

Offline minishlink

• When you want, you can !
    • Minishlink's Devblog
Re: NDS Division (Games and Apps) reviews by thebawp [COMPLETE]
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 05:04:31 AM »
For my game (PongClassicDS) :
I'm completely agree with you, and also I might presented this project in the next compo when the Wifi mode and the Psychadelic mode will be finished.  ~sm-31.gif~ (arf, I don't know if it's correct to say that in English :-\ )

For the music, if you can find a great Pong music, say at me please, I don't find at all :'(
The in-game music is so bad ? Or just the menu music ?

Thanks for these reviews ! :)

Offline thebawp

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 05:10:10 AM »
Minishlink, regarding my comments about the music - it was the menu music that wasn't to my tastes, but you can't please everyone!  It was just a little to 'rave' for me!  I'm not really sure what would be good music to play pong to, but if I ever come across any, I'll point it in your direction! 

~sm-36.gif~

Offline MagNet

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 06:01:42 AM »
Ah yes marbleman without motion is half the fun, you should really get it, it was designed for it and to tell you the truth the stylus controls are thrown there pretty much just for debug so they're not really fleshed out, I guess I could make them a bit better in the next version, still you oughta try it with motion. Thanks for the review anyway.

Offline minishlink

• When you want, you can !
    • Minishlink's Devblog
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2008, 04:15:56 PM »
Just one thing, it's strange that my game got 6.5/10 and JaPong 7/10 , isn't it ? ~sm-39.gif~

(I definitively love these smilies  ;D )

Offline thebawp

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2008, 05:21:52 PM »
Well, I enjoyed playing Japong more, which is reflected in the score.  Yes, it arguably has less options and less ideas than yours, but it was a better experience for me to play.  Admittedly, I found your version a bit too fast to play.  Japong's pace suited me more.  =) 

And yes, Magnet, I have to say I know very little about DSMotion, but I think Marbleman has definitely piqued my interest. 

8)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 07:07:19 PM by thebawp »