Author Topic: nandTool 0.4NEO  (Read 21877 times)

Offline cory1492

• Neo MOD
    • Cory1492's NDS + PSP corner
nandTool 0.4NEO
« on: August 20, 2008, 08:37:04 PM »
Projet name : nandTool PSP
Division : PSP App
Original enter : Yes
Support Motion : Nope
In last NEO Compo this project have won in the top 10 : Nope

Description:
Maintenance application to help keep your custom firmware PSP running smoothly. Works best with a pandora/despertar cementario setup, but has now been ported to run under most known custom firmware versions.

Features:
- backup and partially or fully restore NAND data
- backup and restore per PSP idstore information
- check for and repair logical flash partition problems
- provides some basic info about the hardware
- elf loader working under 1.50 based kernels such as pandora or despertar cementario
- backup and restore methods have optional usbhost support, MS mounting over USB also optionally provided.
- erase and format partitions provided optionally.

Note to judges and anyone else who downloads this application:
Take the warnings in the readme and the app seriously, if it says it's dangerous and you don't know what it does... DON'T do it! Make a backup - and by all means have pandora battery/memory stick at hand if you are trying out anything that writes (especially from the eboot version, as the stick/battery are not a requirement to run it.)

Download: nandTool 0.4 final NEO

Screenshots:

Now, I'm not entirely sure it's a wise idea to enter this - the amount of people who have come to me after trying stuff randomly without having a backup of their NAND isn't a lot - but it isn't 0 either. I have noticed not a small number of sites posting up NEO entries, again - siteops please use some discretion.

A lot of work has gone into this app's functionality, along the way I've personally helped not a small number of people; all the current options I have provided will do what I say and expect them to do and were often build out of necessity of the moment - but that doesn't make things safe if you don't understand what you are doing - thus I have added safe/dangerous indicators along the bottom of the screen and nothing dangerous will proceed without a "button trickery" confirmation... beyond that I'll leave it up to the mods/judges to decide.

Good luck to everyone who will be entered in the compo this season, I see some great work up already and I hope you all are having as much fun as I did trying to squeeze the most possible time out of the last hours before entry

;)
Those who have come here to hate should leave now, for in their hatred they only betray themselves.
translated from The Book of Life (Src: Sword of Truth - Phantom by Terry Goodkind)

Offline wally

Re: nandTool 0.4NEO
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 10:27:26 PM »
Im curious why we need another App like this?

I know its good experience for devs to make apps like this however Despart Del Cementario does all the same stuff, I do suppose those without pandora batteries would benefit from this.

All I can say now is that people will complain about your CHUI (Although its an utility, they all do that)

Great XFlash Alternative (Miss that App dearly) and deserve a gold star!
 ;)

Offline wraggster

• DCEmu Homebrew Network
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 02:56:25 AM »
good luck, nice to see an app well made that deals with the rather touchy Nand.

Webmaster of DCEmu

The Worlds Only Homebrew and Gaming Network Covering All Consoles.

Offline cory1492

• Neo MOD
    • Cory1492's NDS + PSP corner
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 04:25:03 AM »
wraggster:

wally:
Another? I don't know of any other program that does what this one does... DC doesn't give you multiple dumps, key dumps (fat or slim), selective restore, and the ability to do these over usbHost - as well as methods to check for and recover from other errors that only the very recent DC7 can fix (but not detect, so it's somewhat "blind fixing"), and other stuff people have found it useful for (such as combining all versions of DC before 6 into one launch.)

I have to laugh when you say "another" - I was working on this one (link) before slim even existed, before DC - it's been around (and used) publicly for a long time (dec 2006) and I wouldn't be surprised if that old source (or the discussions around some key functions used by it) hasn't been referred to by some of the other apps that make you think this is "just another."

As to CHUI (which I'm not sure of the acronym aside, from UI?) you are welcome to visit my site and see where the UI has come from quite recently - sure it's only blitting, but there isn't a lot of properly working gu stuff (leaving out things like intraFont) when you are dealing with the stripped 1.50 kernel of pandora or the hybrid DCs that work on slim.

Bit defensive, but I'm also trying to justify to myself why I shouldn't scr-ap (yeah, s****) the current codebase - it actually took someone else to point out it's uniqueness to stop that the other day, and here I am defending it's continuation today.
 ::sm-05::
Those who have come here to hate should leave now, for in their hatred they only betray themselves.
translated from The Book of Life (Src: Sword of Truth - Phantom by Terry Goodkind)

Offline psphacker

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 09:26:24 AM »
Very nice tool.
I used some older Versions before.
It is very nice.
Keep It up and donĀ“t give up!

Offline Squirrel61

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 05:50:48 PM »
I've been using this tool from the very first version, when unbricking was still a matter of soldering a piggyback nand to the motherboard, so only real cracks could do that. And from the very first version, this tool has been very useful, because it was (and still is) the only tool that allows you to save and restore the IDStorage section of the nand ONLY.

The tool itself has come a long way since that times but despite parts of its functionality being included in the last DC versions, it still can't be missed by real repairsmen.

It deserves a full 5 stars from me, if I could only find out how to give them...

Offline wally

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 10:17:44 PM »
I do apologise for my mumbling, and do note the new features of your app!

Shame X-Flash is dead though :(

Good luck!

Wally

P.S CHUI = Command User Interface, GUI (Graphical User Interface)

wally:
Another? I don't know of any other program that does what this one does... DC doesn't give you multiple dumps, key dumps (fat or slim), selective restore, and the ability to do these over usbHost - as well as methods to check for and recover from other errors that only the very recent DC7 can fix (but not detect, so it's somewhat "blind fixing"), and other stuff people have found it useful for (such as combining all versions of DC before 6 into one launch.)

I have to laugh when you say "another" - I was working on this one (link) before slim even existed, before DC - it's been around (and used) publicly for a long time (dec 2006) and I wouldn't be surprised if that old source (or the discussions around some key functions used by it) hasn't been referred to by some of the other apps that make you think this is "just another."

As to CHUI (which I'm not sure of the acronym aside, from UI?) you are welcome to visit my site and see where the UI has come from quite recently - sure it's only blitting, but there isn't a lot of properly working gu stuff (leaving out things like intraFont) when you are dealing with the stripped 1.50 kernel of pandora or the hybrid DCs that work on slim.

Bit defensive, but I'm also trying to justify to myself why I shouldn't scr-ap (yeah, s****) the current codebase - it actually took someone else to point out it's uniqueness to stop that the other day, and here I am defending it's continuation today.
 ::sm-05::