Author Topic: MastermindDS  (Read 9514 times)

Offline GuSec

MastermindDS
« on: August 21, 2008, 05:32:46 AM »
Nickname: GuSec
Project name: MastermindDS
Division: NDS Game
Original enter: YES
Support Motion: NO
In last NEO Compo this project have won in the top 10: NO
Project description: It's a Mastermind-game for the Nintendo DS.
It includes 3 different levels of difficulty, HighScore and some challenge.
The game is made for DS in book-form, and I've included instructions on how to play, just press the little question-mark in the corner when the selection screen appears!

It's simple, it's Mastermind!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 05:40:12 AM by GuSec »

Offline wraggster

• DCEmu Homebrew Network
Re: MastermindDS
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 05:42:08 AM »
Tetris was simple but is the most popular quiz game of all time :)

good luck with the comp

Webmaster of DCEmu

The Worlds Only Homebrew and Gaming Network Covering All Consoles.

Offline GuSec

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 03:09:42 AM »
Secret...
The HighScore-mode is only available after unlocking expert by repeated success...
I realized it's not as obvious as I thought... :-\
Anyone got any HighScore yet?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 03:15:47 AM by GuSec »

Offline Sweater Fish Deluxe

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 11:31:25 AM »
Yes, I've unlocked the Expert mode.  My best score is 28 4 652.  Actually, I reached the solution in three guesses one time, but that was before I unlocked the Expert mode, so the score isn't saved, I guess.

The middle number of the score must be the number of guesses, but what are the other two?

I like your game a lot.  I'd heard of Mastermind before, but never played it.  It's a great brain puzzler, nice way to zone out and forget about your real problems for a little while.

The first time I played, I didn't see the help icon and tried to just jump right into the game, but I had no idea what what was going on, of course.  I figured I'd have to go online and look up the rules, but I was very happy to see that you did include an in-game tutorial.  Very nice.

Your implementation of the game seems nice, too.  Good clean and bright graphics and the engine seems solid.  The only bug I've found was that one time for some reason the program was generating answers that had the same color repeated more than once (I assume this isn't supposed to happen).  It did it repeatedly until I turned off the system and started the game again.  Like I said, it only happened once and I can't remember now if I did something before which might have caused the bug.

One suggestion to improve the game a bit: why not have all the available colored stones (I like to think of them as stones anyway) in a little box somewhere on the touchscreen and let the player pick them up with the stylus and drop them onto one of the four slots instead of having to cycle through all the colors by tapping?  This would make the impossible mode a little less impossible, I think....maybe.

...word is bondage...

Offline GuSec

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 10:05:50 PM »
Nice to hear you liked it  Sweater Fish Deluxe!
Thanks for the suggestions too, I will certainly check the randomizer up, it's not supposed to repeat.
Drag and drop is probably a good idea, but have you tried selecting color with the pad?
And btw, check the tutorials again!
The scorerow show time, rows and the final score, in that order.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 05:55:01 PM by GuSec »