Author Topic: NEO Summer Coding Compo 2008 Coding & Review Final Winner Result  (Read 25311 times)

Offline BassAceGold

Re: NEO Summer Coding Compo 2008 Coding & Review Final Winner Result
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2008, 06:47:34 AM »
Congrats to all the winners and thanks to the neoflash team for offering an opportunity for us developers to share our work among the masses of nds users who would otherwise not of known of the wonderful homebrew created in the scene. I'm not going to lie though, the results do seem a little off but I'm not really bothered by it and it's your competition, your the judge and the decisions are up to you.

Offline Prince Gohan

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2008, 07:02:11 AM »
Congrats to all the winners and thanks to the neoflash team for offering an opportunity for us developers to share our work among the masses of nds users who would otherwise not of known of the wonderful homebrew created in the scene. I'm not going to lie though, the results do seem a little off but I'm not really bothered by it and it's your competition, your the judge and the decisions are up to you.
Agreed.

Offline Cid2Mizard

• cid2mizard.dev-fr.org
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2008, 07:02:52 AM »
I don't really understand why the bible reader got second place.

Because the application itself is not very useful at all because it can only read the 4 preset bibles. Not to mention a lot of the images used in it was ripped from the Human theme on ubuntu.

Most of the features used in the reader are not very innovative and are quite common in other applications and are fairly simple to implement. For example the chapters and pages bookmark can be easily achieved using either a indexing system using a marker symbol and the search function just simply searches for that string of words.

Also the translations were not that huge of a feat either, all the maker of the app had to do was create separate files for each book.

If the application had been more useful, as in other ebooks then it would had deserved 5th or maybe 4th. But as it is now I just don't see why it got a 2.

There was much better applications in my opinion that should had gotten higher ranks then this, but I guess if all it takes is to simply toss a bible in a simple app to get 2nd then maybe I should quickly throw something together next time and enter.

Also I agree with Mr305, it does seem there is problems in the system.

Anyways that was my opinion on the results...

Because JESUS IS BACK  ~sm-39.gif~  :D
The position of DSBIBLE is very strange, it's miracle ? lol
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 07:11:13 AM by Cid2Mizard »
www.nintendomax.com 100% Hack - 0% Warez

Offline Mr305

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2008, 07:06:19 AM »
Hi Dr.Neo,

Personally I donot have anything against phosphorus.

The Good Bookr 1.2 Neo
is Completely based on Bookr PDF reader. I could quickly add such pre-fed books and add a search function ALL Within 45 Minutes of work and may be add a few images.  ::sm-13.gif::

I wish this decision be re-considered  ~sm-31.gif~

It is very painful to a developer someone who creates something from Ground-up and gets lost to a quick-Coded release  :-[

I am sorry but that is the truth,  ~sm-44.gif~

Offline wraggster

• DCEmu Homebrew Network
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2008, 07:37:47 AM »
i cant speak for the judges, i dont envy the job at all but sometimes maybe its hard for them to know the background of every release, maybe in future it may be an idea to have a rule saying only new and original entries only ?

hmm somehow i got 15 emails from this thread :P
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 07:51:26 AM by wraggster »

Webmaster of DCEmu

The Worlds Only Homebrew and Gaming Network Covering All Consoles.

Offline Jeremysr

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2008, 08:37:14 AM »
I don't really understand why the bible reader got second place.

Because the application itself is not very useful at all because it can only read the 4 preset bibles. Not to mention a lot of the images used in it was ripped from the Human theme on ubuntu.

Most of the features used in the reader are not very innovative and are quite common in other applications and are fairly simple to implement. For example the chapters and pages bookmark can be easily achieved using either a indexing system using a marker symbol and the search function just simply searches for that string of words.

Also the translations were not that huge of a feat either, all the maker of the app had to do was create separate files for each book.

If the application had been more useful, as in other ebooks then it would had deserved 5th or maybe 4th. But as it is now I just don't see why it got a 2.

There was much better applications in my opinion that should had gotten higher ranks then this, but I guess if all it takes is to simply toss a bible in a simple app to get 2nd then maybe I should quickly throw something together next time and enter.

Also I agree with Mr305, it does seem there is problems in the system.

Anyways that was my opinion on the results...
DSbible actually took a lot of time and work to create. All code was written from scratch so I had to write my own font system, touch-screen keyboard, image converter, GUI system, etc. in addition to the higher level features.

Anyways I also think some entries should have been higher, especially graphDS and SunOL. And DSBash probably should have been lower. I guess it depends whether the homebrew is judged by usefulness, or quality. (For example DSBash is a pretty simple homebrew, but you could spend hours using it without getting bored.) And the results would probably be better if there were more than 2 reviews.... the people complaining so much should have written a review :P

Yes, there is a French Bible included, but also the program's text is in English and French, which it does by reading all its text from a text file.

Offline soulanger

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2008, 08:53:52 AM »
Thanks for the great competition. :)

Offline darkmastergrey

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2008, 08:57:04 AM »
@Jeremysr

I'm not saying its your fault at all, you put work into your app and you do deserve something for it. Not to mention if you keep up the work then I can see great things coming from your app, especially if you add support for user made books :P

But when I posted it was mostly aimed at how poorly the judges well...judged, there was a lot of mistakes on their part and I'm sorry for making you look like the bad guy :(

Offline soulanger

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2008, 09:27:22 AM »
DSbible is good, I just dont get it you guys. It doesnt mean that if a app/game doesnt suit you, it should lose.
Frankly, I don't use DSbible alot. But, all of my friends (even an actual priest) uses it.

Also, there is no use in nagging, the results are in. This competition was even generous enough to let our projects known and even profit to the winners. Neoflash isnt that popular, in the carts, industry, but even so they sacrifice their profit for this community.

If you guys should know, my [App] MenuDo, didnt made it to the top.  ~sm-34.gif~

Offline ahrimanes

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2008, 09:42:00 AM »
I was about to say:
"Darrrrnit i get second place.. ¬¬ again... i think i must get that Duking motion kit"
as i get a lil disapointed judegs are payed jujuuj joke..

but then i realize..  woot i get another chanse to get into the next compo.. thats nice soo more improvements will come to my hombrew and i love to improve my hombrew. then sudenly i will become the UTIMATE COMPO WINNER  ;D jijiji  well i must get that motion kit  ~sm-40.gif~

Offline dipper5

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2008, 10:40:51 AM »
Writing acual official reviews would probably clear up some problems people have with the ranking, but it would definately take them way to long.

The results were pretty much what I expected, especially the top 3 games, even the top 5 games.

The top apps were pretty close too, I dont think DSbash should have gotten top 3, even though its easily the one I'm going to keep on my DS the longest.

Congratulations to all the winners, Lots of great homebrew were entered. I really enjoyed this competition.

Offline cory1492

• Neo MOD
    • Cory1492's NDS + PSP corner
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2008, 02:09:57 PM »
http://sourceforge.net/projects/bookr/
Have to wonder if the judges even realized... leaves the question though, if the author of Bookr decided to enter it, would it no longer be considered an "original entry" because of "good bookr" simply because they decided to open source bookr?

At any rate, it seem the only "fair" way would be to discard all judges opinions and let all the entrants argue amongst themselves until everyone gets first place
::sm-05:: ::sm-02::
Those who have come here to hate should leave now, for in their hatred they only betray themselves.
translated from The Book of Life (Src: Sword of Truth - Phantom by Terry Goodkind)

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2008, 03:16:46 PM »
Congratulations & thanks to all devs for their hard work , and also thanks neo team for making such successful compos.

edit : nvm i answered my question
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 03:19:10 PM by Conle »

Offline samel

• SpaghettiDSDev
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2008, 04:06:59 PM »
Thanks all for the very good compo, strange result but i'll not whinge.
c-ya the next compo.

BACK TO WORK!  ::sm-21.gif::
--
Samel
"Close the world, txen eht nepo!"
"You will never break my mind!"

Offline sumiguchi

• sumiguchi
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2008, 05:42:16 PM »
At any rate, it seem the only "fair" way would be to discard all judges opinions and let all the entrants argue amongst themselves until everyone gets first place
::sm-05:: ::sm-02::
the first good idea of the day!  lolz!

Congrats to T4ils for taking top spot - even though I lost twice to it, I still really like the game! :P 

Thanks Neo for the compo - keep the user reviews - they are a really good addition to the compo...
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 05:43:47 PM by sumiguchi »