Author Topic: Neo Myth Menu v1.1  (Read 34920 times)

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
Neo Myth Menu v1.1
« on: December 19, 2009, 10:08:00 AM »
Okay, time for v1.1! All new thread to make sure people realize this is the latest!

New for v1.1:

Now can be used as CD BRAM!! I included the SCD_SRAM.BIN file as it's nothing but 0xFF04 repeated over and over. Copy this file to the SD card (or burn it to the flash). When you "run" this file, it'll switch the cart into CD BRAM mode, giving you 2045 blocks of save ram for the CD!!
 ~sm-42.gif~  ::sm-18.gif::  ;D  :-*  :)  ::sm-24.gif::

Has better recognition of files on the SD card.

Will recognize and load SMD format files from the SD card (not the flash).

Will auto-boot an Enhanced Menu from the flash - this will be how we move to a larger, more sophisticated menu in the future. I didn't care for a two-stage menu, but it seems that's where we're going. You can also run the Enhanced Menu from the SD card, but it won't do it automatically. What this means is that this menu is nearing completion, and any further enhancements will be in the Enhanced Menu, not this menu.

12/18/2009 - v1.1b1 released.
12/19/2009 - v1.1b2 released.
12/24/2009 - v1.1b3 released.
12/30/2009 - v1.1b4 released.
12/30/2009 - v1.1b5 released.
01/03/2010 - v1.1b6 released.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 09:00:48 AM by ChillyWilly »

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
Re: Neo Myth Menu v1.1
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 10:23:57 AM »
Excellent work as always >:D, this is what everyone was waiting for  ~sm-43.gif~  :-*  ~sm-42.gif~

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 11:13:55 AM »
Beta 2, for your enjoyment. Fixes include removing unneeded patching for save ram, and Reset-to-Menu now works for 32X and CD games.

The main new feature again has to do with the SCD backup RAM. This feature takes 1Mbit of save ram. The big problem is that this is the same save ram you use for all your other games. Not very convenient, is it? Well, did you ever notice in the feature lists for the flash cards the Neo Myth takes that they have 2 Mbits of save ram?? So why can't we use that other Mbit of save ram?
 ???

The issue with why the menu only ever gave 1 Mbit of save ram is that's the most you can access in one block with GBA/NDS flash carts. So how do you access the rest? You send a command to the flash cart to change an address offset to the save ram. And that just what I've done. When you choose an SMS/MD/32X game, the save ram address offset is set to 0, and when you choose a CD BIOS/BRAM, it's set to 1 Mbit. So now the 1 Mbit of save ram the CD backup uses is a completely different save ram than the 1 Mbit allowed for MD/32X/SMS games!
 8)

Now you don't have to worry about constantly saving and restoring the save ram to save/restore your CD backup ram.
 ::sm-29.gif::

Offline Dr.neo

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 03:05:25 PM »
Woooooo....  ~sm-36.gif~

can't wait to post this great news to homepage now!  ~sm-41.gif~
In my world,have 0 and 1 only ......Matrix World......

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 03:13:44 PM »
Great news ChillyWilly !!!!!  ~sm-42.gif~ ~sm-42.gif~ ~sm-42.gif~
I think the standard menu has reached to a high level already.

Excellent work!

By the way i have a question.
When you set the sram bank of a rom , do you actually know the exact address?

Im asking because with the NEO2SD we could dump/restore to/from SD & provide full contoll of the saves using the crc of the rom and a file with special structure.

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 04:12:58 PM »
Great news ChillyWilly !!!!!  ~sm-42.gif~ ~sm-42.gif~ ~sm-42.gif~
I think the standard menu has reached to a high level already.

Excellent work!

By the way i have a question.
When you set the sram bank of a rom , do you actually know the exact address?

Im asking because with the NEO2SD we could dump/restore to/from SD & provide full contoll of the saves using the crc of the rom and a file with special structure.

The bank is in units of 8KB. The smallest bank is 8KB, and you can have 16 ot those banks, 0 to 15. When you go to larger bank sizes, the number of banks decrease, but the units are still 8KB, so when you choose a 16KB bank size, the banks may be numbered 0 to 7, but the bank value is 0, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, and 14. The sram offset in the flash itself is also in 8KB units. When I add 1 Mbit to the sram offset, the value is 16.

SRAM always appears at the same place. In the MD, that is 0x200000. I already had plans in the Enhanced Menu to have save/restore of the sram banks. With the ability to read/write the SD card, and with the space we have in the Enhanced Menu, it would be silly not to make such a feature. I suppose a simple database that associated rom CRCs to save files should be fairly simple to do.

Offline madmonkey

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 06:52:41 PM »
2mb of sram is ultra cool! btw, can it be used for games, or only ramcart?
can I suggest that crc for the roms will not be used, at least in the menu.
that's because crc can change from a number of things - patching, gg codes etc.
instead, use nds flashcarts save approach - Phantasy Star IV.bin - Phantasy Star IV.srm, or even Phantasy Star IV 00.srm, .srm appears to be straight dump of the sram area used by emulators. that would be cool.

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 01:29:39 AM »
At the moment, the 2Mbits is divided into the lower 1Mbit for games, and the upper 1Mbit for CD BRAM. I like that split as it means you can play games and use the CD without having to worry about saving and restoring, for the most part.

The talk of game CRCs has to do with trying to automatically handle saves within that game half. There will also be a way to save/restore the CD half, but it probably won't be the same since it's one big block at one place. Games could be various sizes almost anywhere in the first 1Mbit.

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 07:27:25 AM »
Sounds cool . The possibilities are endless with this cart  ~sm-43.gif~ >:D

Offline RGB_Gamer

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 07:01:23 PM »
This cart keeps getting better and better! Perhaps you can add a feature to play Sega Genesis music (like the way you can play NSF from an NES Power Pak)?

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 07:33:15 PM »
This can be done very easily with the sd menu.
ChillyWilly has already made a z80 audio driver  ~sm-42.gif~

Offline mic_

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 07:54:31 PM »
The easiest thing for the user would be to just drop some VGZ files on the SD card and have the Myth Menu unpack the files to PSRAM with zlib before starting playback. This would cause some problems though, since there are VGM files that are larger than 8 MB when decompressed, not to mention the long load times.

A better solution would be to write a plugin for the Myth Programmer that runs the VGZ files through a VGM packer (that converts the data into a format that is smaller than the unpacked file, but which can be decoded during playback) and then slaps some playback code onto the packed file. I've written such a packer myself, and MIKE-STAMP over at the spritesmind forum has written an even better one.

This is something that I planned to do myself, but if someone else is already working on it then I'm not going to bother.

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2009, 08:48:44 PM »
The easiest thing for the user would be to just drop some VGZ files on the SD card and have the Myth Menu unpack the files to PSRAM with zlib before starting playback. This would cause some problems though, since there are VGM files that are larger than 8 MB when decompressed, not to mention the long load times.

A better solution would be to write a plugin for the Myth Programmer that runs the VGZ files through a VGM packer (that converts the data into a format that is smaller than the unpacked file, but which can be decoded during playback) and then slaps some playback code onto the packed file. I've written such a packer myself, and MIKE-STAMP over at the spritesmind forum has written an even better one.

This is something that I planned to do myself, but if someone else is already working on it then I'm not going to bother.

Yes , i can do this with the plugin if you can share the source.
Edit: This will work only with SD for now because the programmer never points back to the length of dynamically modified buffers.

Remember that the new super md plug host is designed to support the SD menu. The menu & SuperMD plughost NEO2 SD edition cooperate just like Md myth plus more.

^-^ :D
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 08:53:05 PM by Conle »

Offline mic_

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2009, 09:03:11 PM »
Both my playback code and packer code is available here: http://jiggawatt.org/badc0de/vgmplay7.zip

I don't know if MIKE-STAMP has released his sources, so if you want to use his packer instead you'll have to ask him for it.

Offline RGB_Gamer

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2009, 09:05:30 PM »
How about support for Ultimate Mortal Kombat Trilogy?

development on it was done here: http://www.tototek.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2262&highlight=mortal+kombat