Author Topic: stefan_iro´s SNES Neo Myth review  (Read 19065 times)

Offline stefan_iro

• It´s a me, Mario
stefan_iro´s SNES Neo Myth review
« on: February 13, 2010, 08:00:53 AM »
NEO MYTH CART for SNES
- Review -

Twenty years after the release of the Super Famicom in Japan, Team Neo brings a SNES flash cart to the market. The release alone makes SNES lovers hearts leap for joy. In fact it´s not just a single flash cart like to one from Tototek or Mash Mods, it´s more a multi system similar to the Multi Game Doctor 2 (MGD2) from Bung. As memory it uses Gameboy Advance flash carts, the so called Neo2 carts. These have to be plugged into various adapter carts, also known as Myth carts. Such Myth carts have been released for Mega Drive and Nintendo 64, recently there is also a Myth cart available for the SNES :-)

What contains the Neo Myth cart for SNES?

Beside the Myth cart the set contains a 256M GBA flash cart, a USB cable and a CD-Rom. Simply forget about the CD as the data is not up to date. You better download the software direct at neoflash.com. Luckily the GBA flash cart is already formated to SNES/SFC, so you can start immediatelly. If you want to use your GBA flash cart for Gameboy Advance games, you have to format to GBA/NDS first.

How do I use the Neo Myth cart for SNES?

Before you start to flash the games, you have to plug the GBA flash cart into the SNES Myth cart. Next you connect the Myth cart with your computer and start Neo2 Ultra Menu.Once you have flashed your games to the GBA cart, you can begin to set up your system. If you want to use your Myth cart on a Pal SNES, you also need a Pal boot cart. The boot cart has to be plugged into the back slot of the Myth cart. Finally put the Myth cart with boot cart attached into your SNES. Power your system on and start playing!

Which functions has the Neo Myth cart for SNES?

After powering your system the Neo Myth menu appears. The menu is still in a very early stage and has three different functions. If you push the START button, the Myth cart does a self test. Here I had to notice that the internal RAM of the Myth cart is only 64M. Therefore the decompressed 96M version of "Star Ocean" is not supported. With the D-Pad you can select your games. If you press the B button, the game is loaded to the internal RAM and starts automatically. The loading time is quite short, a 8M game needs about four seconds. Finally you can start your boot cart by pressing the Y button.

How is the compatibility of the Neo Myth cart for SNES?

Up to now most of the tested games work perfectly. Additionally it doesn´t matter which country version of the game you use. Games with 50/60 Hz protection are an exception, these have to be patched with tools like SNESTL12 or UCON64 first. But there are problems with games that use special chips. Only games with DSP-1 chip work properly and nevertheless, a boot cart with DSP-1 chip has to be attached to the back slot of the Myth cart. This way I got "Ace wo Nerae!" to work using "Super Mario Kart" as a boot cart. However games like "Top Gear 3000" or "Super Mario RPG" are not supported, even if the according boot cart is used :-(

Is it worth to buy the Neo Myth cart for SNES?

In principle the question can be answered with YES. But people who already own a SNES PowerPak have to think twice, if they want to invest another $169.00, as the PowerPak also supports the 96M version of "Star Ocean". For all others the Neo Myth cart for SNES is a superb flash system, which also can be used for Gameboy Advance.

Pros:
+ multi flash system for SNES & GBA (MD/N64/NDS optional)
+ T-connector already integrated
+ no external programmer needed
+ no parallel port needed

Cons:
- no support for games with special chip (SA-1/FX)
- only 64M internal RAM

Conclusion:
4 out of 5 stars
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 07:44:19 PM by stefan_iro »
-----------------------------------
8bit & 16bit
the golden age of videogames

Offline sanni

• Neo MOD
Re: stefan_iro´s SNES Neo Myth review
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 06:27:09 PM »
Great review  :)

Your Snes looks so white and shiny  >:D

Offline mic_

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 07:34:05 PM »
Nice review. Some comments:

For all others the Neo Myth cart for SNES is a superb flash system, which also can be used for Gameboy Advance.
I haven't received my SNES Myth yet so I can't tell for sure.. but judging by the pictures it looks like the same type of cart that came with the MD Myth (Neo2 Lite or w/e they're called). I don't think these can be used as-is with a GBA (neither a standard one or an SP) because they're too short so they don't reach down to the console's connector.
They might be usable with a DS though. I don't own a DS so I can't say for sure.

Hopefully this is something that can be fixed in the future with updates to the Neo Ultra Menu. Of course you'll always need a physical cart with the same chip type in it to piggie-back on.

Offline spinal

• Coder of DSision
  • Neo MOD
    • spinalcode
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 09:01:29 PM »
Nice review. Some comments:
I haven't received my SNES Myth yet so I can't tell for sure.. but judging by the pictures it looks like the same type of cart that came with the MD Myth (Neo2 Lite or w/e they're called). I don't think these can be used as-is with a GBA (neither a standard one or an SP) because they're too short so they don't reach down to the console's connector.
They might be usable with a DS though. I don't own a DS so I can't say for sure.

The Neo2-lite carts do indeed work fine in the DSlite, however, earlier versions came with an adaptor to fit into the regular DS/gba.

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 09:30:55 PM »
Good review , just 1 thing:

Cons:

It can be fixed via core/programmer/menu update :D

Offline ronaldo_76

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 10:18:47 PM »
Good review , just 1 thing:

It can be fixed via core/programmer/menu update :D

first: nice review stefan...  ;D
second: i have open the cart and there is no core upgrate slot.

also please upgrade special games via programmer/menu...  ~sm-42.gif~ :-*

Offline ~tak

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 11:16:26 PM »
second: i have open the cart and there is no core upgrate slot.

>:(

Offline ronaldo_76

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 11:46:56 PM »

OOOooooooppppppppps...  ~sm-34.gif~
shame on me...  ::sm-16.gif::

Offline King Of Chaos

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 01:31:36 AM »
Awesome review! I like your Super Nintendo sign too. ;)

So the special chip games can be fixed in future updates? That's good to know!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 01:36:08 AM by King Of Chaos »

Offline FloBo

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 02:26:35 AM »

Well, and the Actel Proasic3 being a nice FPGA, it is really possible to expect other special chips to get "emulated" in the future as well... nice to see that. This really points to some serious potential of the Neo Myth cart in the future!

For all of you not knowing, what an FPGA is: it is basically a programmable cpu. That is, you can change the inner structure and working of that cpu to match exactly what you want it to be like. In that way, it could possibly take over tasks of chips like the SuperFX, the SA1, etc. Here's what wikipedia tells you about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fpga  :) ;D

I read something in the forums about that it's possible to play games not requiring a DSP without any additional cart plugged into the back of the Neo Myth Cart... if that really is the case, I expect the FPGA already simulates the functionality of the CIC processor today... which would be astonishing seeing the CIC is not completely reversed yet (afaik).

Anyway. Seeing the actual hardware used to build, I think it's quite fair to say that the Neo Myth Cart is by far the most versatile and future proof flash cart solution out there (not sure about the SNES Powerpak... don't own one so I haven't had a chance to look at its innards...). :-*

We all can REALLY look forward to the updates of the system in the future... Possibly alternative implementations come to my mind... hardware breakpoints and live debugging capabilities... *floatingAwayDreaming*

Edit: btw. I just realized the two empty positions next to the usb-upgrade port... what are they for? They're labelled P1 and U8.... the U8 could be for soldering a CIC... at least the shape and number of pins would kind of match...
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 02:36:00 AM by FloBo »

Offline stefan_iro

• It´s a me, Mario
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 02:39:38 AM »
I read something in the forums about that it's possible to play games not requiring a DSP without any additional cart plugged into the back of the Neo Myth Cart... if that really is the case, I expect the FPGA already simulates the functionality of the CIC processor today... which would be astonishing seeing the CIC is not completely reversed yet (afaik).

Sorry, that I have to disappoint you, but the Neo Myth cart doesn´t work without a proper bootcart plugged in...  >:(
-----------------------------------
8bit & 16bit
the golden age of videogames

Offline King Of Chaos

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 03:37:14 AM »
I don't see how needing a boot cart is such a big deal, to be honest.

Offline FloBo

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 05:27:30 AM »
I don't see how needing a boot cart is such a big deal, to be honest.

It's no big deal as you probably don't own just an SNES without any original cartridges but it WERE a deal if the FPGA did emulate the CIC functionality which it apparently doesn't... (from a technical point of view this would be something that hasn't been done by non official parties ever before for the SNES).

Well, we'll see how much capabilities the design really provides... Having seen the screenshot of Dr. Neo a few days ago showing Mario RPG running it certainly seems promising...

Would really be great to get an official statement about such stuff... also about the myterious P1 and U8 soldering points...

Offline kuroiso

• NewPark Boys
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 05:55:54 PM »
I like this video reviews, stefan_iro!  :D
Protecting Mrs. Ai Suotome