Author Topic: 2010 Neo Compo announcement  (Read 17294 times)

Offline Dr.neo

• Administrator
2010 Neo Compo announcement
« on: February 13, 2010, 02:46:11 PM »
2010 Neo Compo announcement

From now, we change the Neo Compo to annually model, something changed:

1. the compo time set to every year Aug.20th annually
2. have 2 divisions : homebrew GAME zone and APP zone
3. the platform not limit to GBA/NDS/PSP anymore, every platform are welcome,like NES/PC-E/SNES/N64 ...... without any limit
4. the No.1 winner can win $500 cash, No.2 winner can win $300 cash, No.3 winner can win $200 cash.

if you have any idea, let me know  ~sm-41.gif~
In my world,have 0 and 1 only ......Matrix World......

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
Re: 2010 Neo Compo announcement
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 08:27:45 PM »
Cool , retro-powered compo is the best possible thing! ~sm-43.gif~

Offline Aguilera_87

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 01:01:42 AM »
mmmm... economic crisis?? XD

okay! it's your compo, it's your rules.

thanks for the news and ALL

ideas???

GAME and APP division and...
GBA/NDS section
PSP section
and ALL THE OTHERS CONSOLES section

cause its only 1 at year and all the platform developers NDS/PSP are waiting to this compo and i think they want "fight only with their platforms games/apps". the prizes can be reduced a bit to have 3 sections? I THINK THIS
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 01:07:47 AM by Aguilera_87 »

Offline M. Lucanius

• Sola Scriptura
    • visit Wretched!
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 03:15:27 AM »
Hm... so no more NeoFlash prizes for 4th - 10th? Will there be a splash screen contest as well?

Lots o' changes  ~sm-44.gif~
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world, those who know binary and those who don't.

Offline wraggster

• DCEmu Homebrew Network
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 07:12:09 AM »
i think its a great idea to have every console to be included, the PSP Scene isnt anywhere near as active as 2 years ago and theres so many scenes that it makes sense to support them all, should be great for the Whole homebrew scene :)

Webmaster of DCEmu

The Worlds Only Homebrew and Gaming Network Covering All Consoles.

Offline M. Lucanius

• Sola Scriptura
    • visit Wretched!
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 08:24:25 AM »
i think its a great idea to have every console to be included

???

As a DS developer... I'm curious as to how it is possible to compare and judge between differing consoles... I can see that happening with PSP and DS because they have similar gfx and such but how is that to happen with something like the NES. An NES cannot possibly have the same gfx as a DS but then again some people tend to like the retro look more. In either case it is hard to compare the two.
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world, those who know binary and those who don't.

Offline Dr.neo

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 04:26:59 PM »
Hm... so no more NeoFlash prizes for 4th - 10th? Will there be a splash screen contest as well?

Lots o' changes  ~sm-44.gif~

sorry forgot to mention, the #4-#10 awards have keep still.
In my world,have 0 and 1 only ......Matrix World......

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 05:17:49 PM »
I think the new rules are perfect.I don't think there are any other contests like the one running.

This sounds so good that makes me want to code something retro for fun ~sm-42.gif~

Offline sturmen

• Fear me.
    • Sturmen's Site
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 05:43:27 AM »
This is all very exciting, and for the better, I think. Dr.neo, what about the splash contest?

EDIT: Any platform? iPhone programming, here I come! By the way, can you make it a rule that any software entered must be freeware? And I think maybe we should reconsider allowing computer applications (Windows/Mac/Linux). Those guys will show us up.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 05:49:02 AM by sturmen »

Buy from these websites!
DealExtreme or Play-Asia

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 12:31:27 PM »
This is all very exciting, and for the better, I think. Dr.neo, what about the splash contest?

EDIT: Any platform? iPhone programming, here I come! By the way, can you make it a rule that any software entered must be freeware? And I think maybe we should reconsider allowing computer applications (Windows/Mac/Linux). Those guys will show us up.

I don't think that PC software or Iphone is a good idea.It will ruin the contest.
On PC for example you can find engines that allows you to create a superb looking games , but on a platform like NDS/PSP the coder has to work 100times more to achieve the same result.

IPhone has support libraries and official SDK/Debugging tools.

On retro consoles from the other hand , only some technical demo/software will have any luck , ..so retro consoles can be adopted easily by the contest.

Offline leinad

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 12:10:17 AM »
@All consoles: Very interesting. We will see if it brings some rumble or just confuses the judgement~

---
So if I got it right, there now will be only ONE compo every year ? I think thats a good change, because now there is more time to code :)

//
mmmm... economic crisis?? XD
Well, the cash-prizes have been doubled almost.

-n00bey

Offline linoma

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 10:40:02 AM »
Well the Neo Flash Team  ::sm-14.gif:: with R6  ::sm-11.gif::
* * fb4nds - Facebook for DS * * my neo compo homebrew.

Offline Aguilera_87

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 07:37:31 PM »
//Well, the cash-prizes have been doubled almost.

yes, but... only 1 compo at year and 1/2 categories

Offline arrpirate

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2010, 07:48:00 PM »
I think this is a very bad idea.

Some issues:

1) it's not fair. The different possible platforms have different capabilities. It's not fair to judge a DS app against a PSP app. The DS has a touch screen, two screens, and has very limited hardware. The PSP is much more powerful.

2) It makes the contest itself less meaningful because you're not competing against your peers in the same platform.

3) Less incentive to compete. I competed previously because coming in in the top 10 meant I'd get at least something for my effort. As it is now, there's NO WAY anyone will win anything. There's typically about ten to 20 entries per category, previously there were 4 categories. That's between 40 to 80 entries... if the numbers stay the same, that means out of 40 to 80 people, only 3 win anything. That's a tremendous decrease in odds.

If this is the final rules for the compo, I don't think I'll compete. Why waste my time?

Offline spinal

• Coder of DSision
  • Neo MOD
    • spinalcode
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2010, 11:36:37 PM »
The only thing I would like clarified about the new rules is - Will PC games/apps be allowed? (I hope not).

I would suggest that the contest be open only for systems that neoflash produce products for like -

Super Nintendo/Super Famicom
Nintendo 64
Nintendo DS
Gameboy Advance
Sega Megadrive/Genesis
Sony PSP
PC-Engine
(I may have missed some?)

I think any other platforms just wouldn't be fair. Especially as mentioned above, you can knock out a reasonable PC game in a couple of hours, whereas a similar game on one of the other systems may take weeks due to lack of software support and information.