Author Topic: the source code for SNES/SFC Myth Cart menu v0.05  (Read 54920 times)

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
Re: the source code for SNES/SFC Myth Cart menu v0.05
« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2010, 04:19:41 AM »
Nice job adding that to the asm menu!   ::sm-09.gif::

Offline mic_

• Global Moderator
« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2010, 12:51:39 AM »
The menu has officially been pimped   ~sm-67.gif~.gif

Download link: http://jiggawatt.org/badc0de/myth_menu_wla-0.10.zip

I've updated the menu with some nicer graphics today. The graphics for the second BG layer are compressed using LZSS because it allowed me to fit them in 7kB instead of 20kB. I've included the compressor in the source directory so that you still will be able to compile the menu source yourself if you wish to do so. The .PDN file (for Paint.NET) is also included if you want to make changes to it.

Screenshot:

And a short video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz6TtGf72ZU

Offline sanni

• Neo MOD
« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2010, 12:59:27 AM »
You sir, are the greatest  :) ;D

That is looking fantastic  >:D :-*

Offline spinal

• Coder of DSision
  • Neo MOD
    • spinalcode
« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2010, 01:02:41 AM »
Looks great mic_, much, um, SNESier that anything I would have came up with.

..so is the menu staying asm, or are there any plans to port it to C in the future?

Offline mic_

• Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2010, 01:13:51 AM »
..so is the menu staying asm, or are there any plans to port it to C in the future?
I don't know. I'm not sure what ChillyWilly (and Conle?) have in mind. I guess they've got their plates full since they're also involved with the MD Myth and the N64 Myth.
I'm just working on the SNES menu for the time being, and I'm staying with asm. But anyone is free to rewrite the menu - entirely or partially - in some other language.

Offline Sektor

• gtamp.com/DS
« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2010, 01:22:45 AM »
Nice job, it looks great!

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2010, 01:54:16 AM »
I'm hoping the C based menu I've been working on for the MD and N64 also compiles with tcc in the snes-sdk. I'm shooting for a generic framework menu so that all the different Myths have a similar look and feel to them. I may have to make a snes specific version if the snes-sdk compiler has trouble.

In the meantime, I love all the work mic has put into the assembly based menu. He's really doing a great job here.  ::sm-29.gif::

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2010, 02:01:21 AM »
Wow!  ~sm-66.gif~.gif impressive work  ~sm-77.gif~.gif ! That looks really beatiful :D

Will post it on news once i finish something  im working on ::sm-07.gif:: 

Offline spinal

• Coder of DSision
  • Neo MOD
    • spinalcode
« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2010, 02:46:44 AM »
Will post it on news once i finish something  im working on ::sm-07.gif::

Done!  :D

Offline mic_

• Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2010, 07:17:49 PM »
One feature I think would be nice is the ability to list the games alphabetically (like, press Select and the games are listed alphabetically. Press Select again and the games are shown in the order they were put on the cart). It's certainly doable, but it would complicate the code a bit, so I'm not working on that right now.

I've been working on some other small additions though, as you can see here:

There are now arrows indicating if the games list can be scrolled further down/up. The ROM size, save size, ROM type and DSP type are now also shown. I've picked a slightly darker color for the non-highlighted games to give better contrast. I'm also thinking of making L and R scroll through the list 8 games at a time.
I expect to be done with these fixes sometime today or tomorrow.

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2010, 08:09:16 PM »
Its only getting better & better ! 8)

PS:
Imagine what will happen if mic_ & ChillyWilly meet each other in real life.... => They will be talking in ASM   ~sm-73.gif~.gif  ~sm-80.gif~.gif

Offline mic_

• Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2010, 02:22:27 AM »
Here's v0.11 with the additions that I mentioned in my previous post: http://jiggawatt.org/badc0de/myth_menu_wla-0.11.zip

Screenshot:

And another youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oYRgq65ix8

There are three bugs in this version that I'm aware of; the first two happens after you run the cart self test (by pressing Start). The card revision (shown at the top of the screen) will become incorrect, and the "GAME (nnn)" counter will also show the wrong value. None of these affect the operation of the menu, it's only the wrong graphics that are shown. I know how to fix both bugs so I'll take care of that later.
The third is that the ROM type will always be shown as "LOROM" in the menu, even for HIROM games. I'm not sure why that's happening because it works with the example ROM entries that are in the code.

I've added some more comments in the code where I describe some of the data tables that are used.

On a bit of a side note, I started thinking that apLib perhaps would be a better choise to compress some of the data, rather than LZSS. The apLib encoder performs slightly better than LZSS, and the decoder uses less RAM than my LZSS decoder and is probably faster. The downside is obviously that there's no apLib decoder for the 65816 that I'm aware of. There's a 68000 implementation that was posted over at the SpritesMind forum that perhaps could be ported to the 65816, with some changes (the 65816 doesn't have 32-bit registers like the 68000 does). This would be a pretty low-priority task, but it could be useful.

Offline spinal

• Coder of DSision
  • Neo MOD
    • spinalcode
« Reply #72 on: March 31, 2010, 02:52:02 AM »
Wow, another update, probably before some people noticed the previous one!
Great stuff.  :P

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #73 on: March 31, 2010, 02:57:09 AM »
mic_ thanks for all your efforts  ~sm-77.gif~.gif , but i think at this point it would worth the trouble to make a C menu just like ChillyWilly's md menu(myth io/config functionality in asm & the rest just C code) before it gets too complex.  ~sm-67.gif~.gif

Also there seems to be enough people willing to contribute compared with md/n64 myth so that's another good reason :)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 02:58:46 AM by Conle »

Offline mic_

• Global Moderator
« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2010, 03:12:04 AM »
I wouldn't call the current code complex. Of course that may be because I've written much of it myself, and because I've read through the other parts more than most people. So I personally see no need for a rewrite - but like I've said; I'm not stopping anyone else from doing that.

This shouldn't be seen as THE menu. It's just my own personal menu that I'm sharing with the rest of you in case anyone else wants to use it   ::sm-24.gif::