Author Topic: SNES Myth menu releases  (Read 93516 times)

Offline mic_

• Global Moderator
Re: SNES Myth menu releases
« Reply #120 on: December 04, 2011, 03:08:29 AM »
v0.57 of the SNES menu has been released: http://code.google.com/p/neo-myth-menu/downloads/list

A youtube video showing some of the improvements: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN3x74JzBi0

New in this version:

* Cart dumping support. You can dump the contents of the bootcart (the one that you plug into the back of the SNES Myth) to the SD card. I've verified that it works for ROM, and should hopefully work for SRAM as well.
See the readme for more info, because you need to put some files on the SD card for this to work.

* Added key-repeat. If you hold up/down for about half a second it will start repeating keypresses until you release the button.

* Modified the timing in the VGM player a bit.

Offline stefan_iro

• It´s a me, Mario
« Reply #121 on: December 04, 2011, 08:08:25 PM »
With the new cart dumping option the SNES Neo Myth cart has a unique feature that no other actual flash cart will ever have.
Your really make the SNES Neo Myth cart shine!  ~sm-36.gif~

Thank you so much!
-----------------------------------
8bit & 16bit
the golden age of videogames

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #122 on: December 05, 2011, 01:36:31 AM »
Excellent job mic_ , as usual.I've just made a news post about it.

@stefan_iro ,
Tthat was my thought aswell.The myth carts can do things that are impossible with other flashcarts.

Offline mic_

• Global Moderator
« Reply #123 on: December 05, 2011, 03:02:58 AM »
There seems to be a problem with dumping ROMs larger than 8 Mbit. I'm guessing it might have something to do with the Myth register settings, and the fact that there's no documentation for them is not really helping :P

For example, it would be really nice to have descriptions of all possible settings for registers $C000 and $C017.

Offline spinal

• Coder of DSision
  • Neo MOD
    • spinalcode
« Reply #124 on: January 26, 2012, 07:46:58 PM »
I tried dumping my MarioKart game, the dump seems to have worked (it runs fine in snes9x) but I cant load it on the myth :(

Offline mic_

• Global Moderator
« Reply #125 on: January 26, 2012, 08:49:50 PM »
I haven't implemented DSP handling when loading from the SD cart yet (IIRC), so my guess is that the dump is ok and would work if you load it from flash.

Offline spinal

• Coder of DSision
  • Neo MOD
    • spinalcode
« Reply #126 on: January 26, 2012, 09:33:44 PM »
cool. :)

Will it be possible in the future (soon?) to create new files, rather than overwriting the old ones?

Offline mic_

• Global Moderator
« Reply #127 on: January 26, 2012, 09:46:25 PM »
Will it be possible in the future (soon?) to create new files, rather than overwriting the old ones?

Not likely. The smaller version of FF (PFF) which I'm using doesn't support creating new files/directories. Switching to FF would be a lot of work, so it's not something I'm planning to do.

Offline stefan_iro

• It´s a me, Mario
« Reply #128 on: February 25, 2012, 01:43:21 AM »
There seems to be a problem with dumping ROMs larger than 8 Mbit. I'm guessing it might have something to do with the Myth register settings, and the fact that there's no documentation for them is not really helping :P

Hi mic_!

Do you think there will be a future release of your SNES Myth menu, which fixes that problem?

Thx, Stefan
8bit & 16bit

Offline mic_

• Global Moderator
« Reply #129 on: February 25, 2012, 11:02:16 PM »
Maybe.  I still haven't got any information about how the cart is supposed to be setup for this operation, but I might stumble upon the solution myself.

Offline stefan_iro

• It´s a me, Mario
« Reply #130 on: February 26, 2012, 03:40:40 PM »
Thank you!
If it werent´t for you, the SNES Neo Myth cart wouldn´t even have this option... ;)
8bit & 16bit

Offline spinal

• Coder of DSision
  • Neo MOD
    • spinalcode
« Reply #131 on: March 16, 2012, 04:43:21 AM »
Here's a question. Is it possible to backup a game from the PC side, rather than SNES?

It would be more convenient to be able to copy the rom through the USB, that way it could be renamed/moved a lot quicker.

Offline mic_

• Global Moderator
« Reply #132 on: March 17, 2012, 12:14:48 AM »
Not that I know of.  There's no communication between the menu and the USB port.

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #133 on: March 21, 2012, 10:05:40 AM »
I wish I knew more about the USB chips in the different Myth carts. From the client software for burning menus/saves/games (look at madmonkey's client code) you can see sequences of Myth commands sent to do things like activate the menu flash for reading/writing, activating the game flash for reading/writing, and activating the save ram for reading writing. So I would conclude that is SHOULD be possible to dump carts across the USB if it can be done from the console side by making a USB sequence that matched that used from the console.

I wished I knew more about the USB side of things as well to help madmonkey make his client a little better... maybe try a few experiments like retries on writing games when the game flash randomly fails. That's a BIG problem on the N64 since writing 512Mb games is almost impossible for some folks due to those random block fails. I've been able to burn Conker to flash ONCE in many dozens of attempts due to random block fails.

Offline stefan_iro

• It´s a me, Mario
« Reply #134 on: March 21, 2012, 10:27:58 PM »
I wished I knew more about the USB side of things as well to help madmonkey make his client a little better... maybe try a few experiments like retries on writing games when the game flash randomly fails. That's a BIG problem on the N64 since writing 512Mb games is almost impossible for some folks due to those random block fails. I've been able to burn Conker to flash ONCE in many dozens of attempts due to random block fails.

If the Neo2 Manager finally supports 1024M flash memory, at least those with Neo2 Pro cart would be able to burn 512MB games...
 ::sm-09.gif::
8bit & 16bit