Author Topic: Gbatemp Neo SNES Myth Cart Review  (Read 6775 times)

Offline amptor

Gbatemp Neo SNES Myth Cart Review
« on: May 26, 2010, 12:49:01 AM »
Well looks like mine came late but I think I was one of the last to review a sample on a web site. 

Anyway it is posted here:
http://gbatemp.net/t226219-neo-snes-myth-cart-review   ~sm-41.gif~

and I am planning on adding to it, but was hoping a new menu would be released with bugs fixed.  I may end up putting the current one there but it seems like 0.23 is the one to use for now.  :)

Offline King Of Chaos

Re: Gbatemp Neo SNES Myth Cart Review
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 03:27:06 AM »
Try mic_'s menu (based on the open source menu that Dr. Neo released) found here. It has full Game Genie and Action Replay code support in the menu itself, in addition to other nice little features.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 03:34:14 AM by King Of Chaos »

Offline stefan_iro

• It´s a me, Mario
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 12:27:09 PM »
Try mic_'s menu...

v0.23 is mic_'s menu ^^
-----------------------------------
8bit & 16bit
the golden age of videogames

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 02:31:16 AM »
If you looked at the review, you'd notice he used the official menu that comes with the Neo2 Ultra Menu app. He wasn't using mics menu at all.

Offline stefan_iro

• It´s a me, Mario
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 03:11:07 AM »
If you looked at the review, you'd notice he used the official menu that comes with the Neo2 Ultra Menu app. He wasn't using mics menu at all.

ChillyWilly you are right.
But as he mentioned mic_'s v0.23, I thougth he would at least tried it...
Very detailed review anyway!  ~sm-36.gif~
-----------------------------------
8bit & 16bit
the golden age of videogames

Offline amptor

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 05:31:59 AM »

Yeah I decided to put that part of the review on hold until bugs were fixed.  Looks like I may be able to proceed soon.  Since the one it shipped with was the official one, I felt it was sufficient for the time being.  Plus was unsure if SD would be added soon as well.

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 07:07:28 AM »
Plus was unsure if SD would be added soon as well.

Relatively soon. I'm working on that right now... among other things. I would go ahead and review mic's latest menu - the SD support will be along eventually.  ~sm-81.gif~.gif

Offline amptor

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 06:33:18 AM »
Well I'm still having issues even with the latest mics menu.  I tried his region autofix and it doesn't work on the games I tried (super mario all stars (E) and oh I forgot the name of the other game.. that caveman game that came out in Europe..didn't work either.  Mario gives a black screen and the caveman game doesn't fix either just says the game pack isn't designed for the snes <bull****> but ya I think the region fixes are for simpler earlier games)  and after I tested that stuff I loaded a simple Japanese game (forgetting the name of it right now too..it is a super sprint clone) and it caused the whole system to freeze on the first stage.  I tried it again without fiddling with the other roms and was able to complete many tracks though.  It's either the menu is funky or there's something wrong with the device.  I don't know which.  Both neoflash devices I reviewed have been finnicky last times I tried them.  In fact, yesterday I picked up the neoflash snes myth cart and powered on the SNES and it came to a black screen.  I could swear I had games loaded onto it so I have no idea what happened.  It still works as of this morning though full of roms.

This device really needs the SD support.. but so does the N64 one anyway as N64 games are much larger.  The SNES one is a tough sell but the N64 one is great.  I do like the (mics) SNES menu a lot though it is pretty nice.

And on a side note, as far as mic adding in selectable cheats for Wild Guns now, I did not see any.  It says there aren't any for that game.  But I have noticed he is focusing too much on PAL region and not really on NTSC so that could be why.  I'm not sure if there is a PAL wild guns but there might be.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 06:34:51 AM by amptor »

Offline mic_

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 03:44:36 PM »
I tried his region autofix and it doesn't work on the games I tried (super mario all stars (E) and oh I forgot the name of the other game.. that caveman game that came out in Europe..didn't work either.  Mario gives a black screen and the caveman game doesn't fix either just says the game pack isn't designed for the snes <bull****> but ya I think the region fixes are for simpler earlier games) 
It's not a matter of whether the game is simple (code-wise) or old. Dracula X is properly fixed, and it was released in 1995/1996 and it's exactly a simple game. The region fixing function works by doing string matching, where the strings are short machine code sequences. It can only find those strings that it has been told to look for, and currently I've got 8 of those. There are a few other possible sequences but I haven't found any games myself that the region fixer didn't work for, simply because I don't every possible game out there.
I'll take a look at Super Mario Allstars.

And on a side note, as far as mic adding in selectable cheats for Wild Guns now, I did not see any.  It says there aren't any for that game.
It only recognizes the (E) version. All the games available in the cheat database are listed in the readme.

But I have noticed he is focusing too much on PAL region and not really on NTSC so that could be why.
Because I only own a PAL SNES, so I'll mostly play the PAL version of games unless there game in question was never released here.

I'm not sure if there is a PAL wild guns but there might be.
Yes.

Offline amptor

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 05:24:34 AM »
Oh I'm always using NTSC ROMS and the PAL ones just to test the region fixing.  The (name escapes me of the game) cave man game though I think was one that would merit a fix from PAL to NTSC but it might be more complicated than it looks because there was an actual scene trainer/crack released for it specifically as an IPS patch.

Hmm if Wild Guns PAL has codes, why not just apply the same codes for the checksum of the NTSC and allow both games to use them?  A lot of times the games used the same addresses for cheats as far as I remember but I'm not completely sure on that.  Would be cool if the codes were showing up on NTSC versions, a lot of us are using NTSC consoles which are more than plentiful on the bay and also import shops in China etc etc.

I think you mentioned that some day in the future you might allow the end user to insert his own codes too though.

Well hopefully soon we will also be on to that SD update which a lot of people are waiting for as well.  That 256Mbit card it comes with gets filled up so god aweful fast it makes one wonder why this didn't ship with a 1024Mbit card.

It's not a matter of whether the game is simple (code-wise) or old. Dracula X is properly fixed, and it was released in 1995/1996 and it's exactly a simple game. The region fixing function works by doing string matching, where the strings are short machine code sequences. It can only find those strings that it has been told to look for, and currently I've got 8 of those. There are a few other possible sequences but I haven't found any games myself that the region fixer didn't work for, simply because I don't every possible game out there.
I'll take a look at Super Mario Allstars.
It only recognizes the (E) version. All the games available in the cheat database are listed in the readme.
Because I only own a PAL SNES, so I'll mostly play the PAL version of games unless there game in question was never released here.
Yes.