Author Topic: Neo N64 Menu v1.6  (Read 20505 times)

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
Neo N64 Menu v1.6
« on: August 12, 2010, 09:54:50 AM »
Don't you hate it when they update on you so quickly!  >:D

Hot on the heels of v1.5, here's v1.6. Fixed a quirk with the game flash menu interpretation so that "odd" banks are dealt with properly. This should take care of those roms that seem to not run from the cart. You could recognize them by the bank number - if you're looking at the bank number and see them go like bank 0, bank 1, bank 2, bank 192, that oddball 192 is not really a bank number, it's the Mbit offset to the rom. There was a similar issue with the rom size that I took care of quite a while back.

You can now also provide your own backdrop images for the splash, browser, and loader (any or all). Just make a "/.menu/n64/images/ directory and put the custom images there. They should be non-progressive jpeg images of 320 pixels wide by 240 lines tall named as follows: "splash.jpg", "browser.jpg", and "loading.jpg". If the files exist on the SD card, the menu will use them in place of the ones in the menu resources.
 ~sm-42.gif~

You can also now delete slots in the slot selector (when running a game with save ram from a flash-only cart). Just press Z to delete the currently high-lighted slot.

EDIT: Added PAL binaries for those folks using PAL N64's.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 01:42:23 PM by ChillyWilly »

Offline Sektor

• gtamp.com/DS
Re: Neo N64 Menu v1.6
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 10:02:33 AM »
Haha, I just flashed v1.5 minutes before your v1.6 post. Keep up the great work!

It probably shouldn't attempt to load a 32MB ROM from SD to my 16MB RAM Neo2 SD. I tried it anyway, the progress bar goes all the way to the end and then it stalls.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 10:20:52 AM by Sektor »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 10:38:12 AM »
Haha, I just flashed v1.5 minutes before your v1.6 post. Keep up the great work!

Luckily you only have to flash the menus once, unlike yours truly who flashes them a dozen times or so for testing. The ability to run from the SD cuts down on that, but eventually you HAVE to test it from the flash as well.
 ~sm-57.gif~.gif

It probably shouldn't attempt to load a 32MB ROM from SD to my 16MB RAM Neo2 SD. I tried it anyway, the progress bar goes all the way to the end and then it stalls.

Yeah, I should probably test for that and pop up a screen of people pointing and laughing when you attempt to do that.  ~sm-82.gif~.gif

There's not much error checking at all going on - it pretty relies on people to do the right thing. Given it won't do more than just crash if something fails, there hasn't been much incentive to add a bunch of error checking.
 ~sm-75.gif~.gif

Offline Aleomark

• Just a gamer!
    • El otro lado
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 11:21:56 AM »
all right, I'm testing it!

edit:

Did you on purpose take out the option to show box art? I think that was nice and I miss that, and I have some other files on the root of my SD besides roms, some .avi files and from neo myth cart menu I can see that files, when I put on my multimedia video player only show me the video files on root, no other files, as a suggestion if were possible do something like that but for n64 roms, this menu is getting more and more awesome! congratulations!!!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 11:39:25 AM by aleomark »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 11:59:48 AM »
all right, I'm testing it!

edit:

Did you on purpose take out the option to show box art?

~sm-82.gif~.gif ~sm-79.gif~.gif

That's the OTHER menu... the derivative by sanni. My menu has never had boxart, and I'm not planning to put it into this menu. The backdrops are about as far as this menu will go as far as trying to make the GUI "pretty". We'll have more of that in the shell we're working on. This is just the "generic" menu.

I think that was nice and I miss that, and I have some other files on the root of my SD besides roms, some .avi files and from neo myth cart menu I can see that files, when I put on my multimedia video player only show me the video files on root, no other files, as a suggestion if were possible do something like that but for n64 roms, this menu is getting more and more awesome! congratulations!!!

This menu will just handle N64 games. Again, we'll have more stuff in the shell. I suppose I could filter unrecognizable files from the list. I'll think about that for the next update.

Offline Aleomark

• Just a gamer!
    • El otro lado
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 01:09:53 PM »
all right! the file filter would be nice, just for curiosity, what other ideas do you have for the menu? I want to know what can we maybe wait on future updates, in 12 days the menu has improved a lot!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 01:12:34 PM by aleomark »

Offline stefan_iro

• It´s a me, Mario
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 01:56:20 PM »
I think folks will like this update - featured changes include auto load/save for all save ram types, with both flash and SD games saving to the SD card, if present.
YES, that´s the killer app we all have been waiting for  :)

If you don't have an SD card, or are using a flash-only cart, the saves go to the GBA cart SRAM.

Thanks for this! I am sure there are still customers who only have the included 512M Neo2 cart. Peronally I´m waiting for my 1024M Neo2 Pro cart with SD support...
-----------------------------------
8bit & 16bit
the golden age of videogames

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 01:57:15 PM »
all right! the file filter would be nice, just for curiosity, what other ideas do you have for the menu? I want to know what can we maybe wait on future updates, in 12 days the menu has improved a lot!

Well, I'm hoping now that Conle has a working N64 Myth he can work on a cheat/patch system like the one he did for the MD Myth. And I'm still trying to get the info needed to improve the read speed on the Myth.

Unless someone finds a big bug, I'll probably work more on an entry for the summer competition for a while.
 ~sm-75.gif~.gif

Thanks for this! I am sure there are still customers who only have the included 512M Neo2 cart. Peronally I´m waiting for my 1024M Neo2 Pro cart with SD support...

The Neo2-Pro is really nice. It's a must-have for N64 Myth users, allowing you to play 32MB games from the SD card. I've been playing a lot of Ridge Racer, Zelda TOOT, and SWE1 Racer as part of testing.  ~sm-51.gif~.gif
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 02:06:07 PM by ChillyWilly »

Offline ronaldo_76

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 02:33:40 PM »
excellent work guys,

all of you! this is a awesome menu. i love this version 1.6.  :-*
and it looks fantastic: "start, menu and loading screens"! keep up the good work sanni.

and chillywilly very, very good job. thank you so much! in the next days i will test the save function!
now i have start some various games with different save methods! and all save written in .menu/n64/save on SD card

and conker(on flash) too...

;D

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 02:37:25 PM »
I used some save files from the mupen64+ emulator site for testing... a Ridge Racer eep file, a Mega Man 64 fla file, a Zelda OOT sra file, a Mario 64 eep file... they seemed to work fine. Be sure to report anything you find.  ::sm-22.gif::

Offline ronaldo_76

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 02:41:33 PM »
I used some save files from the mupen64+ emulator site for testing... a Ridge Racer eep file, a Mega Man 64 fla file, a Zelda OOT sra file, a Mario 64 eep file... they seemed to work fine. Be sure to report anything you find.  ::sm-22.gif::

wow great, then we can share our save files. i will check this out.  ~sm-78.gif~.gif
now we all must edit our reviews with "N64 MENU UPDATE"  :) will update on this weekend!

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 05:15:26 PM »

Well, I'm hoping now that Conle has a working N64 Myth he can work on a cheat/patch system like the one he did for the MD Myth.

Yep , just being busy with my retro comp entry(Its for the n64 by the way) as you know :D
For the N64 DX Menu i will do a full GUI system with configurable themes , and after that caching/patches/cheats/database/save management
and all that.
 ~sm-56.gif~.gif

Offline sanni

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 06:15:06 PM »
It's just fantastic.  :-*
And it works perfectly. I will continue testing it and then update my review too.  ~sm-48.gif~.gif

Offline 64scener

• Neo-Newbie
    • 64scener
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2010, 07:18:37 PM »
Awesome, but how about a simple default background image instead of those Mario ones? they're a pain to look at and makes the menu really messy.

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2010, 07:37:04 PM »
Awesome, but how about a simple default background image instead of those Mario ones? they're a pain to look at and makes the menu really messy.

I'll make the next update cycle between the images and the patterns, then save the last set value to the SRAM so that the next time you run the menu, it pops up in whatever you selected. For now, use the SD card images to make the backgrounds whatever you like. Want a plain black screen? Save a plain black 320x240 jpg as "/.menu/n64/images/browser.jpg" (and any others you wish to override).

People are welcome to submit their own images for use in the menu. I'll start a thread that people can post into.