Author Topic: Neo2 Pro 1024M +SL4 and Nero Dual NEO N64 Myth Official GBATemp Review  (Read 6219 times)

Offline amptor

Finally I was able to complete the review of this fine addition to the Nintendo 64 console.  By fine I mean not only good hardware internally, but also all the effort put into the Neo Myth menu, PC software, CPLD logic core upgrade, etc.

Read on:

http://gbatemp.net/t273015-neo2-pro-1024m-flash-cart-sl4-sd-card-adapter-review

Offline Aleomark

• Just a gamer!
    • El otro lado
Re: Neo2 Pro 1024M +SL4 and Nero Dual NEO N64 Myth Official GBATemp Review
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 05:49:56 AM »
link is dead

IPS Driver Error
There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here

The error returned was (1203): User gbatemp already has more than 'max_user_connections' active connections

Offline sanni

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 06:23:20 PM »
Nice and detailed review I liked how you showed and explained the menu backgrounds  :)

Offline Morden

• ║║█│││█│║│││║║│█║
    • Morden's Gaming Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 09:41:25 PM »
I took a look at the compatibility list, and it reminded me of something I meant to ask a while ago - Is it possible to get the 64DD IPL ROM running on the Myth cartridge? Not that it would serve any practical purpose, but I just love all that stuff Mario is doing, running around, jumping, climbing the logo, etc. Here's a video.

I tried it on one of the emulators, and it did run, though I'm not sure whether support for this particular file was added, or it's possible to run it on the N64 hardware, without the 64DD.

Edit - One thing I forgot to mention. The GBAtemp review was written using the SD cartridge, and the author says the IPL rom freezes the menu. I wasn't even able to burn it onto my GBA cartridge, as the Win client is unable to verify the file.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 11:05:33 PM by Morden »

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 11:48:54 PM »
I don't see how it would be possible to try that bios file without the actual hardware.It is supposed to be looking for its another "half"  ~sm-79.gif~.gif

Offline Morden

• ║║█│││█│║│││║║│█║
    • Morden's Gaming Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 12:24:39 AM »
Like I said, I was able to run the IPL rom on a regular N64 emulator. The 64DD in itself is not emulated, at least not to my knowledge, which made me wonder how exactly does the IPL rom work and since it runs on the emu, maybe it could run on the Myth. It's like all those Action Replay cartridge dumps and copier menus. You can get them to run, but you obviously won't get the functionality.

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 01:29:17 AM »
Like I said, I was able to run the IPL rom on a regular N64 emulator. The 64DD in itself is not emulated, at least not to my knowledge, which made me wonder how exactly does the IPL rom work and since it runs on the emu, maybe it could run on the Myth. It's like all those Action Replay cartridge dumps and copier menus. You can get them to run, but you obviously won't get the functionality.

I'll repeat what i said earlier , plus : N64 emulators are very far from perfect emulation , so , most likely somewhere its getting false results that breaks all checks.

Anyway,
If really wan't to get it to work on real hardware, then start patching the bios by hand  ~sm-36.gif~
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 01:31:13 AM by Conle »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 04:47:49 AM »
I have little idea what hardware is in the DD, but I suppose if there's little more than the drive, it may be possible to hack the DD BIOS to run games from SD as if they were on a DD. I should check around to see what DD info is available. Given there were only 6 (?) games for the DD, it's not been worth the effort while we were still working on getting carts working.  ::sm-07.gif::

Offline Morden

• ║║█│││█│║│││║║│█║
    • Morden's Gaming Blog
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 07:15:35 AM »
Are there any 64DD dumps available? I haven't seen anything, except for the IPL rom, and the F-Zero X Expansion Kit, which requires the full game to work, plus, since 64DD isn't emulated, no one even know if the dump is good or not. The lack of PC emulation makes it so much harder, since there's so little information available and the platform itself is rather obscure.

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 01:10:30 PM »
Yeah, the BIOS and F-Zero Expansion Kit are all I've seen as well. The 64DD devkit is out, so it may wind up getting emulated some day.