Author Topic: Cyber Willy [Atari 2600] (Done)  (Read 8512 times)

Offline theloon

• NEO newbie
Cyber Willy [Atari 2600] (Done)
« on: August 18, 2012, 03:48:42 AM »
Nickname: theloon
Project Name: Cyber Willy
Division: GAME
Platform: Atari 2600
Original Entry: YES
In last NEO Compo this project have won in the top 10: NO

This game (cwilly.bin attachment below) requires an Atari 2600 emulator such as Stella
http://stella.sourceforge.net/

This is a boss rush shoot-em-up for the Atari 2600.  Screenshots are real 2600 code but not even close to final game shape.  I do not know if I will have time to complete this but I'll give it my best shot!  Good luck to us all!

Instructions:
 Press fire to shoot boss.  Your HP bar is to the left.  The boss has an HP bar to the right.  Evade the boss mass cannon and fireballs.  When you have depleted the bosses hit points a new round will ensue!  Each round has a new boss with increased attributes including size, speed and movement pattern.  If all your HP is depleted the game will end.  Press fire at game over screen to begin a new game.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 03:14:55 AM by theloon »

Offline Mindbleach

• NEO newbie
Re: Cyber Willy [Atari 2600] (In-progress)
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 08:46:47 AM »
Nice! Are you doing this in Batari? It'll limit how many crazy scanline tricks you can do, but it makes the simple parts... well, less of a nightmare. Doing anything with the 2600's bare-bones hardware is an accomplishment.

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 11:05:19 AM »
Nice job so far! It's good to see entries as far back as the 2600.

Offline theloon

• NEO newbie
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 08:20:08 PM »
Nice! Are you doing this in Batari? It'll limit how many crazy scanline tricks you can do, but it makes the simple parts... well, less of a nightmare. Doing anything with the 2600's bare-bones hardware is an accomplishment.

Yeah, I'm not planning on counting cycles unless I'm over.  BatariBASIC is the way to go.

There's an argument that easier dev tools leads to poor quality.  I say more accessible tools lead to more homebrew period.  Someday those newbies that made poor games could be the same that brew an Ultima clone for the 2600 :)

My theory about easy dev tools doesn't apply to me, by the way.  I'll still be making poor games regardless :p
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 09:48:03 PM by theloon »

Offline Mindbleach

• NEO newbie
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 09:01:08 AM »
Anything built with modern sensibilities will be better than half of the 2600's library. There were some amazing games for it, including quite a few 3D-ish first-party titles in its first year, but as the NES had generic sidescrollers, the VCS had completely incomprehensible ****.

Offline theloon

• NEO newbie
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 07:08:07 AM »
Boulderdash for the Atari 2600 is just stupid awesome.  Someone is making a Maryo like platformer in BatariBASIC as we speak.

It's 7:11pm on Sunday and I'm still coding like mad.  I hope I can make it to the deadline :)

Offline theloon

• NEO newbie
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 11:48:10 AM »
Game is DONE!  Er, 8 minutes to go before deadline :)

Offline blastyrant

Re: Cyber Willy [Atari 2600] (Done)
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 04:29:08 PM »
anything 2600 is tops in my book.

thanks!