Author Topic: Suggestions for next year's comp  (Read 3274 times)

Offline DesertDog

Suggestions for next year's comp
« on: September 04, 2012, 07:57:14 AM »
Good number of entries this year even though it was announced quite late. The standard across the entries is pretty high too, so I have no doubt next year's comp is both viable and inevitable :)

Obviously though the rules need updating. We're still under rules that were created when this comp was only DS/PSP - aka the Golden Age :D

Here's my suggestions------

Competition categories:
1) Game Original - must be an original game created for the comp.
2) Game Remake - must be a port or remake of an existing game. This includes games that you've released previously and are just updating for the comp.
3) App - Any non-game entry.
4) Technical Achievement - I think we definitely need something like this. For a "retro" comp, we have to acknowledge entries that do things on systems that they were never designed to do!
5) Developer's Choice - All entrants get to vote on the best entry. Replaces public review and is more valid because it is from your fellow competitors.

Categories 1-4 have two winners (1st and 2nd), while Category 5 only has one winner.
Entries can win in multiple categories (eg. Game Remake and Technical Achievement).
Judging by Dr.Neo and NeoTeam.
Prizes can be less value but more of them to spread awards around (not to say that an outstanding entry can't win the lot though!)

Comments most welcome. What do you think?

Offline leinad

Re: Suggestions for next year's comp
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 09:15:56 PM »
Altough I would appreciate a change in the compo system, I'm not sure if your suggestion changes anything in the problematic of the actual divisions:
- "Powerfull systems" (WII/PSP/NDS) vs "Less powerfull systems" (S/NES/GBA/etc) : It's almost impossible to compare a PSP game to a NES game...
- Apps are dying out. With just around 2 1/2 choices (PSP, NDS and some niche projects)  to do APPs for and the fact game systems are more suited, well, for games, game-entries always outnumbered App-Entries.
- Unguessable number/quality of entries: You never know who enters with what before. I remember compos where it was like almost no competition, and this time it's a list full of pretty high quality entries in the game section while APPs are dying out.

So, IF there will be another compo, here my suggestions based on the points above:
- 2 Sections for game (  NDS+PSP+WII &  20th Century consoles+GBA ) This does not solve the entire problem (NDS<>PSP or GBA<>NES still is a difference) but it reduces the problem
- Cutdowns on the APP Prizes
- No definite prizes until the compo closes down. Just giving out a prize range that might be given out first, and depending on participation, announcing the final prizes when closing the compo.

After all neoflash still is a company. Sure they want to support&keep alive the homebrew scene, but they also want some advertising. "Original/Remake/Technical achievement" kinda destroys the purpose of rewarding publicity for neoflash.
The overall package matters. Divisions should only be made to seperate different "target-markets" (retro-/newer-consoles/app)

*Edit: "game-entries always outnumbered Game-Entries", FU you brain :p
-n00bey

Offline theloon

• NEO newbie
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 09:58:21 PM »
This is my first year entering this contest.  So, consider this an outsider opinion.

* More buzz should be generated by an appointed volunteer and or  Neoflash enthusiasts
* Less categories.  Specifically, none or theme based.  More leeway/less complication = more entries.
* Better prizes for entries that fall into the "uses Neoflash products" category

Offline leinad

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 01:17:41 AM »
* More buzz should be generated by an appointed volunteer and or  Neoflash enthusiasts
Well, there were postings on GBATemp and I think every other big page. I doubt one could miss it, even if you just check stuff once weekly~
-n00bey

Offline PypeBros

• homebrewer
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 01:22:34 AM »
1) Game Original - must be an original game created for the comp.
2) Game Remake - must be a port or remake of an existing game. This includes games that you've released previously and are just updating for the comp.
That would be great, imho. It always sounds a bit unfair to me when an original entry competes again a port of a well-known flash game (with ripped gfx?) ...
Enjoy Apple Assault v1.4 with polished gameplay and graphics

Offline m.rr

• NEO newbie
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 03:07:03 AM »
Well, there were postings on GBATemp and I think every other big page. I doubt one could miss it, even if you just check stuff once weekly~
Yes, and just check wifihack psp on google, there is so much fuss.