Author Topic: The final result of NEO Retro Coding Compo 2012  (Read 15866 times)

Offline alekmaul

• portabledev.com Webmaster
    • PortableDev
Re: The final result of NEO Retro Coding Compo 2012
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2012, 02:14:25 AM »
1st of all, very happy that MazezaM wins this compo, i did lot's of effort to have something really fun to play.

I always thought that a Coding Compo is a technical challenge.
Well, Dr Neo never said that it will be a technical challenge; I think the vote was more about game design, gameplay and fun about them and judges feelings of course.

But I agree about the fact that if a new compo begin next year, we need more rules about criteria.
Also, I don't think a poll helps but again, criteria for judging would be good.

Offline 10$man

• NEO newbie
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2012, 02:58:25 AM »
Yeah, we participants would like to have seen comments from the judges on each of the games to get an idea of how each game was ranked.

Of course I wish I could have won something, but I know this site is not really oriented toward the Wii (and maybe not all the of judges even have a Wii!) -- it seems the game systems with flash carts get more favor.

But I'm not really complaining; at least the competition motivated me to make and improve my Wii games -- I may not have done that otherwise.

Totally agree. Especially about the first part.

I'm interested in seeing how the games were ranked THIS time.
I sure hope it wasn't a "I like this better then that, so this wins".
I don't think a poll helps but criteria for judging would be good.

Drunkencoders.com gave games a score out of 40:

Graphics: 5
Sound: 5
Music: 5
Controls: 5
Network: 5
Fun: 10
Theme: 5

They also describe graphics, sound, music, controls, network, fun and theme here:
http://web.archive.org/web/20100416051455/http://www.thepernproject.com/compo/currentMatrix.php

Something like that would be good for neoflash competitions.

My suggestion (I'll willing to change it):

Graphics: 5
Sound: 5
Music: 5
Controls: 5
Network/Multiplayer: 5 (not sure how this would apply to consoles that don't have easy/any network support)
Fun: 10
SNES/MD/N64: Entries for these systems get 5 bonus points (12.5%).

As long as it's subjective, there are always going to be some people disappointed but that's unavoidable.

It's hard to write criteria when there are so many platforms allowed. Would a judge ever give an Atari 2600 game a 5/5 for graphics? The judge would have to take into account each system and know their graphics capabilities or at least played lots of games on that system.
I think this sounds good.

But, as always, thank you Dr.neo and I'l keep coming back!

Offline BassAceGold

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2012, 03:02:40 AM »
Since there were no posts in my topic regarding BAGASM and its use. Was there any difficulties in testing my program? Is there anything I can do to improve its ease of use? Is the documentation written well enough?

I was hoping to get some useful feedback in this competition, but sadly, no one has said anything to help me out.

Also, congrats to the winners!  ~sm-78.gif~.gif
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 03:28:57 AM by BassAceGold »

Offline KungFuFurby

• NEO newbie
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2012, 09:13:46 AM »
Whoa, nellie! My music is in a winner!  ::sm-18.gif::  ~sm-69.gif~.gif  ;D  ::sm-29.gif::

I don't go for the cash myself.

Maybe someday I'll actually make a SNES game myself... I don't have any library in particular in mind except for using SNESMod as the sound driver.

Offline leinad

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2012, 04:59:45 PM »
Congratulations to all winners! Pretty weird to se no NDS-Game in the winning list :3

[...] ,maybe next year we should increase the winners rank to top 5 :)   

[...]

See you are Aug. 2013  >:D

Yay! No plans to discontinue the compo, 'I like'

@Judging: A Poll would mainly just favour those who can market themself best, not neccessarily the best project (Pick up some super-duper-wanted-port like SMBB -> beg for attention at random boards -> get thrown with material/posts/votes).   A point system might give some people satisfaction, but especially after this compo with a overall very high quality, you even could have come up with some Ratings after randomly picking some winners :p
-n00bey

Offline sanni

• Neo MOD
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2012, 05:26:32 PM »
Instead of making a 1st, 2nd, 3rd winner we could award stars for special things like in the Mario Party games. Every star can only be won once. ~sm-65.gif~.gif

For example 5 stars, each star is worth $100 as a prize or something like that.

One star could be "Most fun to play". So what ever game the judges enjoyed to most wins this star and the prize money that comes with it.

Another star could be "best technical achievement". So the game that is most astonishing from a technical view wins this star.

Or "Best art style". "Best Music" .. you name it  ~sm-84.gif~.gif

This way programmers could aim at what star they would like to win like in the Mario Party games where you collect the most coins because you know at the end you will get the most-coins star.  :D

It would also make judging easier because it's really hard to decide which game is better if all of them are so great. ~sm-64.gif~.gif

Offline Sektor

• gtamp.com/DS
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2012, 05:36:59 PM »
I like sanni's idea  ~sm-37.gif~

Offline theloon

• NEO newbie
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2012, 12:30:14 AM »
Since there were no posts in my topic regarding BAGASM and its use. Was there any difficulties in testing my program? Is there anything I can do to improve its ease of use? Is the documentation written well enough?

I was hoping to get some useful feedback in this competition, but sadly, no one has said anything to help me out.

Also, congrats to the winners!  ~sm-78.gif~.gif

Honestly it was not retro enough to be useful for me.  If your interpreter could compile for NES, SNES, Genesis or even GBA I'd be all over it :)

Offline 10$man

• NEO newbie
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2012, 06:36:36 PM »
Instead of making a 1st, 2nd, 3rd winner we could award stars for special things like in the Mario Party games. Every star can only be won once. ~sm-65.gif~.gif

For example 5 stars, each star is worth $100 as a prize or something like that.

One star could be "Most fun to play". So what ever game the judges enjoyed to most wins this star and the prize money that comes with it.

Another star could be "best technical achievement". So the game that is most astonishing from a technical view wins this star.

Or "Best art style". "Best Music" .. you name it  ~sm-84.gif~.gif

This way programmers could aim at what star they would like to win like in the Mario Party games where you collect the most coins because you know at the end you will get the most-coins star.  :D

It would also make judging easier because it's really hard to decide which game is better if all of them are so great. ~sm-64.gif~.gif
I like this as well!
So someone could work towards a specific spot that suits them best and no matter what system you program for, you still could have an equal chance as everyone else! ~sm-66.gif~.gif

Offline BassAceGold

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2012, 08:03:05 AM »
Honestly it was not retro enough to be useful for me.  If your interpreter could compile for NES, SNES, Genesis or even GBA I'd be all over it :)

Wasn't too hard to port the NDS version to GBA.  ~sm-69.gif~.gif