Author Topic: NeoMythMenuDX-v2.9  (Read 31525 times)

Offline Ichiban Rei

Re: NeoMythMenuDX-v2.9
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2012, 11:19:52 PM »
Hey Chilly, I've been out of the loop for a while and have a couple of questions.

I own the original MD cart that came packed with the 512Mb cart.  Reading about the Neo3 SD sounds exciting. 

1.  If I understand this correctly, now you can have as many roms on your SD, and when loading the game, it will load SRAM for that game as well?  Previously there was a limitation on SRAM slots allotted to games.  So you had to minimize the number of games that required SRAM on the cart, then you had to remember what slot your particular game's save memory was on.  Is this now not an issue?

2.  Where does one purchase a Neo3-SD?  I don't see it on the IC2005 Smart Shop.  Only Neo2 I think.

Thanks! 

OOPS!  I didn't realize this thread was in development.  Please move if needed.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 11:45:50 PM by Ichiban Rei »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2012, 01:18:01 AM »
Hey Chilly, I've been out of the loop for a while and have a couple of questions.

I own the original MD cart that came packed with the 512Mb cart.  Reading about the Neo3 SD sounds exciting. 

1.  If I understand this correctly, now you can have as many roms on your SD, and when loading the game, it will load SRAM for that game as well?  Previously there was a limitation on SRAM slots allotted to games.  So you had to minimize the number of games that required SRAM on the cart, then you had to remember what slot your particular game's save memory was on.  Is this now not an issue?

It's not an issue when running from the SD card. You normally leave it set for the default bank (0) and in the Save RAM Manager, turn on the automatic save/restore option, which loads the bank before running the game, then saves the bank to SD the next time the menu is run (so don't forget to reboot into the menu after running the game! ). While in the browser with the game selected, press A for options, move down to the Save Manager option and press C. The automatic setting should be first in the list - press C again to toggle it from off to on. Then press A to exit the screen and then B to run. Once you've set the Save Manager to automatic, it remembers the setting, so you only have to do that the first time you run the game.

2.  Where does one purchase a Neo3-SD?  I don't see it on the IC2005 Smart Shop.  Only Neo2 I think.

Thanks! 

OOPS!  I didn't realize this thread was in development.  Please move if needed.

Not a problem. Questions like above are fine in the development thread.

And the Neo3-SD should be available through IC2005... it's on the NDS/NDS Lite page - here's the link:
http://www.ic2005.com/shop/product.php?productid=44&cat=5&page=1

Offline Ichiban Rei

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2012, 10:32:21 PM »
Thanks so much for the detailed answer.  I was on the fence about upgrading to SD but the benefits of save management and rom storage are huge.  I'll be ordering the card now.  Thanks!  I can load up my old 512 with my favorite SMS games since I read the Neo3 does not support SMS.

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2012, 07:38:20 AM »
Thanks so much for the detailed answer.  I was on the fence about upgrading to SD but the benefits of save management and rom storage are huge.  I'll be ordering the card now.  Thanks!  I can load up my old 512 with my favorite SMS games since I read the Neo3 does not support SMS.

Yes, that's what I do with those flash carts. While I can load SMS games from SD on ONE Myth cart (the V5 hardware cart), none of the others can, so I need SMS games on flash cart for the others (only have one V5 cart).

It's too bad the SMS mode didn't also use the PSRAM in the Myth - that would have dealt with any of the problems running SMS from SD.

Offline kumaneco

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2012, 08:56:44 AM »
NeoMythMenuDX-v2.9 does supports neo3-tf ?

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2012, 10:20:07 PM »

Don't have one, so I can't say for sure. However, the TF versions of the Neo2/Neo3 carts seem to just be MicroSD versions of the larger carts, so they SHOULD work fine.

Offline joyeux

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2013, 12:42:36 AM »
Hi,

Finally got my hands on the nice NEO3 SD card. Very good product, works very well at allmost everything.

I was very confident that it would solve the SCD BRAM size issue (posted in this thread by me), but I still have the same problem presented in the NEO2 flash card, the BRAM corrupts its data showing a garbled save name in SCD BIOS Memory manager using 2083 blocks of memory. When I go to format RAM, it lists 1 Saved Item(s)/1010 Free Memory. I'm using MDEBIOS.BIN dated 23/09/2012, 2.9.3 I guess. It was copied to \menu\md. It works on the first time, after I turn off and restart my CDX, the data is corrupted. Any different steps to try?

Offline Dr.neo

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2013, 11:45:06 AM »
neo3-tf can load the rom from tf card and run, but some version neo3-tf cart don't come with battery so can't keep the save on md myth and snes myth.
In my world,have 0 and 1 only ......Matrix World......

Offline joyeux

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2013, 03:26:11 AM »
My NEO3-SD has generated this file SCD_SRAM.brm (attached) with corrupt Sonic CD data. Also, issue is very alike to what this guy shows in the very ending of this video. I don't need to access Sonic CD to reproduce the error, just entering the SCD Memory Manager is enough.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QT3zr_wYUY
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 03:35:19 AM by joyeux »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2013, 03:45:53 AM »
I'll look into it again... perhaps one of you having the trouble can give a list of steps that creates the trouble? That would make it easier for me to find any bugs. Just saying trouble exists doesn't help in recreating it to spot bugs. That's the "fun" part of bug hunting... some folks are great at that. I love it when someone can give a nice clear set of steps that always causes the issue.
 ~sm-44.gif~

Offline joyeux

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2013, 10:18:35 PM »
I can't figure out what am I doing wrong, because I really think I'm doing all the process like anybody would. Anyway, I took a little time to make a video with the whole issue, and made a step by step list to get the bug. The video is at the last line of this post.

Preceding the video I did the following steps:
1)Formatted SD Card (2GB Kingston)
2)Copied SCD_SRAM.BIN into root
3)Plugged into the NEO3/Slimloader IV

The video describes the following:
4)Fired up CDX
5)Watched Myth Menu folder creation
6)Pressed Z to view Hardware Info
7)Selected SCD_SRAM.bin and pressed A
8)Enabled SRAM Manager Service
9)Cleared ALL SRAM
10)Used SRAM slot 3 (default)
11)Ran SCD_SRAM.bin
12)Formatted RAM Cart in SCD Manager
13)Copied file SONICCD____ with 11 blocks from SCD Internal Memory to RAM cart.
14)Verified file size in Menu Erase RAM Item. Size is OK (11 blocks).
15)Turned off CDX
16)Turned on CDX
17)In Myth Menu, used the same slot 3 for SRAM
18)Ran SCD_SRAM.bin
19)Entered SCD Memory Manager
20)Entered Menu Erase RAM Item.
21)File SONICCD____ with 11 blocks is now QGNICCD____ with 2083 blocks!
22)Tried to delete this item from RAM. Says it is deleted, but it is not! It doesn't delete!
23)If I format, it works again, but only until I turn off/on.
24)In format RAM menu, free memory for RAM cart is 1010 blocks, 1 used block.

Any file I copy from Internal SCD Memory to RAM Cart glitches size and garbles name. Sonic CD file is just one example. I get exactly the same behaviour with my NEO2 Flash 256kb. Tried it with other Sega CD/Mega Drive combos too. Any file I copy from the SCD Internal Memory gets corrupted. Also, tried disabling Myth SRAM Manager Service, and all the other save slots, 0,1 and 2. Same behaviour.

Link for video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUe188e1WCY

If more evidence is needed, I sure will bring'em!

Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 11:05:23 PM by joyeux »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2013, 02:56:07 PM »
Have you tried reseting back to the menu before turning off the CDX? The save memory for BRAM is handled just like games - the memory isn't saved to sd card until the next time you run the menu. If you are having issues with the sram on the GBA card (low battery for example), turning the system off and on to run the menu may lose data. Get in the habit of reseting back to the menu before you turn off your system for safety.

Offline joyeux

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2013, 10:12:24 PM »
Yes, I tried doing it that way too, the only difference I noted is that the garbled SonicCD save file took 35 blocks this time. Generally it states 2083, but not this time. The NEO3 has a save battery? In my NEO2 256kb I can save all SRAM games normally, so I guess battery is fine. I think I can't copy or save anything to my flash cart without having issues. I wonder if you have succeeded anytime when playing with SCD BRAM with the NEO MYTH MD, because I simply can't find a way to make it work.

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2013, 04:07:45 AM »
Yes, I tried doing it that way too, the only difference I noted is that the garbled SonicCD save file took 35 blocks this time. Generally it states 2083, but not this time. The NEO3 has a save battery? In my NEO2 256kb I can save all SRAM games normally, so I guess battery is fine. I think I can't copy or save anything to my flash cart without having issues. I wonder if you have succeeded anytime when playing with SCD BRAM with the NEO MYTH MD, because I simply can't find a way to make it work.

All Neo flash cards with save ram have a battery as far as I know.

Using BRAM works fine for me... but every now and then I might add something to the menu that breaks BRAM and I don't notice until someone mentions it since I don't play games that need extra BRAM very often.

Offline robneal81

• NEO newbie
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2013, 12:05:11 AM »
I'm having a different problem with the Sega CD:  I can't get it to start at all!

I followed the video exactly like joyeux described.  After I click on SCD_SRAM.bin, it generates the file, but I just get a black screen...it never boots into Sega CD.  Then, I hit reset and try again:  Same thing, just a black screen.  When I clicked on it the second time, it said: "Restoring SRAM", so I believe I did everything right.

Here's my setup:
- Genesis 1
- Sega CD 1 (1.10 BIOS)
- Latest menu (2.9.3)
- SCD_SRAM.bin file downloaded from this thread
- NEO Myth MD 3in1 flash cart
- NEO2-SD Flash Cart