Author Topic: Magic Key and newer DS models  (Read 62394 times)

Offline DS_DAN

Re: Magic Key and newer DS models
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2005, 03:35:15 PM »
Hi,

I have got a DS from NEW ZEALAND which has got a serial number NAF100023xx and model number NTR-001.

DO you think it is compartible to NEOFLASH MAX and the Magic card MK I/II/III? Thanks.

All I can say for sure at this point is that Magic Key uses the same method as PassMe (which is also what is used in SuperPass) - so these likely will not work with the newest DS's that dont work with the others.

The first bit of the serial appears to not  be a good way to tell which ones work or not, as every region has its own numbering system. As far as I have been able to gather, the EURO ones are NEH12****, and the US ones are NU40** and NU41** (with the US ones the last number in the box seems to tell which revision it is... [8] is apparently the not working one) - the JPN serial seems to be starting with NY4*** so...

Offline DS_DAN

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2005, 05:23:59 AM »
Hi,

How are you going? I am planning to buy a NEO FLASH
MAX or Magic card II/III. Can I know is it compartible
to every NDS console?

I have got a DS in New Zealand with
serial number: NAF10002389
Model number: NTR-001

Thank you!!

nice topic,makt it stick :)

Offline d0pper

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2005, 10:32:14 AM »
HI All

I have a newer model of NDS NEH11****
I also have the new NEO-flash and all it does is white screen the DS with any home brew or other roms I try, so I was wondering if there is any piece of kit that will work on the newer model, if so what will I need?
Is any one else having the same problem?

dopper

Offline cory1492

• Neo MOD
    • Cory1492's NDS + PSP corner
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2005, 10:08:43 PM »
You sure you are trying the nds.gba of homebrew and not the .nds ??

at any rate, if you do have the newer DS models, you can likely use wifime to update firmware using the current flashme and not need to worry about the MagicKey, if you dont have access to wifime, or it doesnt work like I think it does then you can also go to see natrium42.com as they have a passme and a method of using it that will work with the new DS's.

Not sure if MK2/3 will use a similar method or stick to the old passme design though...
Those who have come here to hate should leave now, for in their hatred they only betray themselves.
translated from The Book of Life (Src: Sword of Truth - Phantom by Terry Goodkind)

Offline JSS

• Neo-Newbie
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2005, 08:51:37 AM »
You sure you are trying the nds.gba of homebrew and not the .nds ??

at any rate, if you do have the newer DS models, you can likely use wifime to update firmware using the current flashme and not need to worry about the MagicKey, if you dont have access to wifime, or it doesnt work like I think it does then you can also go to see natrium42.com as they have a passme and a method of using it that will work with the new DS's.

Not sure if MK2/3 will use a similar method or stick to the old passme design though...

I can`t wait for the first review...

Offline warorface

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2005, 03:25:11 AM »
Hi,

How are you going? I am planning to buy a NEO FLASH
MAX or Magic card II/III. Can I know is it compartible
to every NDS console?

I have got a DS in New Zealand with
serial number: NAF10002389
Model number: NTR-001

Thank you!!

nice topic,makt it stick :)

Your DS works with homebrew because is NTR-001

Offline cory1492

• Neo MOD
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2005, 07:16:28 PM »
NTR-001 is a hardware number, all NDS are labelled as NTR-001. (like gamecubes were DOL-001 - DOL being Dolphin and NTR being Nitro)

DS_DAN:
There is a bit of a list over at dspassme.com, where people who have tested their DS with PassMe have responded as to whether the PassMe works (Magic Key 1 and passme1 being equal aside from case):
http://www.dspassme.com/dstrackerlist.shtml

I see one NAF100* from someone in Australia, and it is working with their DS so I would say yours, especially if its silver and not a color bundle one, should have no problems.
Those who have come here to hate should leave now, for in their hatred they only betray themselves.
translated from The Book of Life (Src: Sword of Truth - Phantom by Terry Goodkind)

Offline Archim

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2005, 04:40:41 AM »
Just so I can be clear on this..

I have an NU415 Grey DS with an [8] at the end. What are the viable options for me as far as Neoflash, Passme, and other stuff go? It's sounding like the [8] pretty much kills my chances of running anything that's out now? Or is there a definite solution either out or coming out soon?

Thank you.

Offline cory1492

• Neo MOD
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2005, 01:45:15 PM »
There is some speculation that the
  • is just some form of checksum for the serial number wrather than a revision number, it looks like NU415** should work with Passme, while if you ds had been a NU418** you would need to look to passme2  (passme works the same as Magic Key 1, hopefully part of the reason a flashcart is required for MK2/3 is for PassMe2 function, but I dont know if that will be the case or not.)

Offline tehxan

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2005, 08:21:21 PM »
After searching these forums (and others) for a few hours, the one thing i still dont know is whether or not certain games, eg MariokartDS, can be used as the real cart when attempting to run roms/homebrew via the mk1.

The DS unit im using is an NAF1 from australia, which was a combo package with mariokart. (thus mariokart being the only game i own at the moment.

I've had no luck loading anything yet, and just get the white screen situation, which i understand means the mk1 is working, but apparently no useable rom available on the cart.

If someone could tell me so that i know whether or not to go out and get another older DS game in order to run even just homebrew, like the ti8*-calc and PDA apps :P

cheers in advance

Offline cory1492

• Neo MOD
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2005, 01:34:46 AM »
Here is the final verdict on MK2/3 compatibility:
To use with a new firmware DS is not directly possible, and the hardware is not based on CPLD (thanks Dr.neo for this info) so it cannot be altered simply into a PassMe2 and restored later to MK2/3.

There is some hope, 1 of 2 things can be done. MK4 might come with support for the new DS firmware OR, you can get a PassMe2 and use it to flash your DS with FlashMe (carefully). Once it is flashed, PassMe and MK2/3 should be fully compatible with the flashed firmware.

tehxan: did you read the FAQ thread to be sure you were using the software correctly? Most often white screens are due to improper NPK use, but you are correct when you guess it could be the game. Is it possible for you to rent an older game and try it with you Key to make certain? (some places dont rent DS stuff) Or perhaps to get a used DS game cheaply (old SpiderMan 2 or Madden 2005, you should be able to find these game used fairly cheaply)...

Offline rmco2003

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2005, 06:41:45 PM »
i got my neoflash kit today and i was also wondering if i have to put an original game in the MK to boot the DS roms?
Yes you do. Without a DS game in the Magic Key the circuit is not complete and Magic Key will not do anything.

Actually that's incorrect, I can force it to boot by holding down the forced boot combination A + B + X + Y present in FlashMe with my MK3 inserted and it works just fine.

Offline tehxan

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2005, 08:13:29 PM »
ahh, finally a response! :D

cory, im fairly certain im flashing the cart properly (its a neoflash 512 btw),  as once flashed and unplugged, if you plug it back in the software detects the same data on the cart, other than that i have no way of knowing i guess. :/

meanwhile im getting mario64ds off ebay soon so i will try that out too.

also, am i to take it that if it IS a newer firmware, then it is completely incompatible with mk*?
if so, how would i go about using the flashme software if i cant even boot to it :/ .

and lastly, am i to understand that a new magic key is expected to be released any time soon?
in that case i may simply wait till that, and the new GC-usb modchip is available from divineo then get both.

Offline cory1492

• Neo MOD
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2005, 06:13:26 AM »
Actually that's incorrect, I can force it to boot by holding down the forced boot combination A + B + X + Y present in FlashMe with my MK3 inserted and it works just fine.
He has a MK1 not MK3, and MK1 not FlashMe - you still need a game in the MK to boot to the NDS FlashMe app before you have access to the key combo... if one already had installed and understood FlashMe's use, they would not be concerned with using the MK1 any longer, for the most part. And another though, MK is build using different logic/processor chips than MK3 - asic vs cpld - which also makes a big difference in the way the circuit operates.

Got my Neo-Max 1G in today, and am in the process of writing the review, hopefully it will clear up some of questions ;) I know I had a couple very pleasant surprises when I checked out the disk  ;D

tehxan: I had to take a couple days away, so I did not get to your question very quickly...

Did you try the steps in the faq for basic use, to see if the homebrew I linked there and tested with those steps would work for you?

I have been told MK4 with compatibility to new firmwares is a possibility in the future, but I dont think they are planning on making such a device just yet. Dont count on it being around soon in other words.

So far as I can tell, the only way to make a newer firmware DS compatible with MK* (magic key x not mario kart) is to use flashme first - and on new DS firmwares the only way currently to do that is to get a "PassMe2" programmed for a specific game you already have, and use the SRAM file for that game so the PassMe2 has code to boot to.

Offline tehxan

« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2005, 12:30:10 PM »
dang, id rather not go and void my warranty just yet by doing the flashme method, its only 2 weeks old :/ .

oh well, guess ill just have to be content with mario64ds in the meantime if that doesn't work in the mk1 either.