Author Topic: Ghost town, airport alert and the prime minister  (Read 529 times)

Offline lily9889

• NEO newbie
Ghost town, airport alert and the prime minister
« on: October 05, 2020, 01:22:19 PM »
Ghost town, airport alert and the prime minister

Last week I flew over to London to interview the prime minister. This was the first flight I have boarded
since the pandemic hit these islands.

"How are you?" I asked the assistants in the duty free at Belfast City Airport as I strolled past.

"Well, we are still here," they replied, noting that basic resilience as an achievement.

On Thursday night, both Heathrow and Paddington Station felt eerily quiet. Central London had a ghost
town quality.

As my taxi crossed Westminster bridge, I spotted a young couple stealing a kiss through their face
masks. An image of these bizarre times.

The next morning I faced a short walk through the driving rain.

The hotel receptionist thrust a complimentary umbrella over the counter at me.

"I'm not sure I shall be back to return it," I told him.

"It's yours, just tell your friends and colleagues to book - we need more guests," he said.

Given the number of people working at home, the deserted pavements and smooth-running traffic
shouldn't have been a surprise.

Despite that, the contrast with the months during which my colleagues and I reported from those
same streets, thronged with pro and anti-Brexit protestors, was so marked it could not but leave
an impression.

A Westminster-based colleague told me she'd caught Covid back in March and hadn't been fit
enough to return to work until August.

"You really don't want to catch it, I think I still have long Covid symptoms, tiredness, double
vision, that kind of thing"," she said.

You can follow the story here before anyone else. : pg slot