Author Topic: [NDS GAME] WolveSlayer  (Read 52305 times)

Offline valgreen

Re: [NDS GAME] WolveSlayer
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2007, 07:40:31 AM »
yes the PSP is from Sony, who in itself is a demon cororation. But the homebrew community, for it is amazing, that in itself should show you that SOny itself has made a great device (despite there horrible corporate influenece) BUT with homebrew, people are learning to take advantage of its capabilities and power to produce amazing homebrew games and apps.

dont look at the evil behind the product, however look at what people can do with the product circumventing the security put in place to prevent home users from taking advantage of what they cAN do.

take windows for example, Microsoft in itself is a bastard coporation, but look at all the amazing open source programs put out to run on the windows platform. why should we criticize those who develop for the windows platform just because there programs run on an operating system which has been developed by probably the most controvercial (sp) and most ignorant software company in history.

now let me ask you this, does Nintendo allow people to create homebrew for there device?? definately not.. so why should people who have a PSP be subjected to this ideal. Homebrew is homebrew.... screw the corporations who develop the product.. if hackers/programmers can find away around their security to be able to run apps and games then why not.

Payk, i would love for you to port this app over to the PSP, and if you choose not to, then please let somone else do the porting, as your homebrew game is amazing and it deserves to be played on more than the DS.

Offline Payk

• NDSDEV.DE
« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2007, 01:28:06 PM »
^^wow totaly agreed. These are arguemnts where you cant say anything aganst them :D

Anyway, its not as i wold care nintendo ;)
In fact i am one of those who still wait for another sega console ;)

If i get my hands on a psp i defently gonna port that engine and code it on a way that i can compile it for both handhelds :D

Offline Kamu

« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2007, 07:44:43 PM »
It'd be nice if you turned this into an open source engine and would have people who are willing to help you code it. What did you use to make the maps in your engine?

Offline Payk

• NDSDEV.DE
« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2007, 08:24:54 PM »
Well it would be much work to get it opensource read.
german/english comments & variable names and A VERY dirty-c code would force me to clean it up before. I am playing with the thought to do that. But before that i would more like to give everyone a chance to do sutt like that on their own.
(WHAT? :D)
I hv planned to make a model converter and a lib to load these models (this would decrase loading times to allmost 0 seconds!). These models would be rendered in allmost notime. And making a Repository and some tutorials how to make own maps for example :D

Well my map-format is a trick which i am using since i was 15 years old. Since i didnt wanted to make an editor, i simply used BMP files to hold infos.
Quite easy. Each tile had 2x1 pixel at that time.

GOGOGOGOGOGO
GOGOGOGOGOGO
GOGOGOGOGOGO
GOGOGOGOGOGO
G=ground pixel
O=object pixel

So if you would use green, the engine knowed that it must render grass at that position (for example). Me and a friend made a entiry game on that way using Visual Basic. We had to make list with the colorvalues and the tiles which belonged to each of it :D

Well the general idea behind it is still the same. But its much more advanced today. At first, making lists is unececary now. I have a script (xml based) which tells engine which color is which texture (or object). And it has a lot of more infos now. I made a figure to show you that:

So thats the order of the map data. That script does belong to it (more vice versa in fact)

a very tiny script could look like this:
<map file="zentrum.bmp" music="Forest.mod" env="inside">
   <ground colorkey="127,237,37" file="ground/grasteil1.bmp"/>
</map>
This would tell the engine that in each ground pixel where it finds a pixel with the RGB color "127,237,37" it would render a textured quad with that given texture.

The ground command has a view more parameters as i showed.
you could attach comamnds like bump-mapping="true" mirrowing="true"
Well mirrowing makes the quad be able to refelct stuff on it.
Bump-mapping is quite clear to. But the texture need to be in a certain format. best is you would take a look at "wolveslayer/tiles/bump". All these files are images which contain 2 parts. The texture it self and a certain map. This is neccecary for the engine to know how to iluminate it.

Well well, i could go into dep details and tell you how to make a complete own game with it in here, but i guess thats more or less offtopic.
If you still are interested you can send me a mail, pm or add me to msn.

This engine would be a pain to make it opensource for me. If i would release it as it is, i would los my face because its a DAMN DIRTY CODE. Most coders would expect goto commands in it, that dirty is it :D And in order to not lose my face i would have to make it clean. But why making it opensource, when it already is made on a way that everyone can make own games with ?
Yes sure the technices behind it, is interesting. But as i said i promiss to make tutorials about 3d basics and light stuff soon. And i dont have any secrets at all. If ppl are interested hwo i made that, i explain it them or even help to make it on their own. But a half english half german dirty code doesnt help anyone :D
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 08:28:15 PM by Payk »