Author Topic: A few game reviews  (Read 4091 times)

Offline 10$man

• NEO newbie
A few game reviews
« on: August 23, 2012, 08:52:40 AM »
10$man's Reviews
Hello everyone, I reviewed a few of the games (GBA and Atari) and here's my thoughts.

Atari

Cyber Willy
Reviewed with Stella

When I first started this game I thought, yes! This really feels like an atari game!
I played for around 5 minutes and the game got rather repetitive. I think it could use more then one type of enemy or something. Also, you have the ability to shoot. As far as I can tell, shooting only gets your score up but in the long run won't help you in the slightest bit. (I think it was intended for this, but it's still a weird choice of a way to get your score up in a survival game were the enemy is invincible).
So, let me break this up into Pros and Cons.
Pros:
  • Authentic. The game feels like an Atari Game
  • Graphics. It looks pretty good as far as Atari goes
  • Sounds. The sounds are ok as well

Cons:
  • Repetitive gameplay. You would expect some of this from a survival game (I made one too, and I'm sure mine is repetitive)
  • Shooting for almost no reason. When you shoot it gives you a higher score, bit I think that would be better achieved through surviving for periods of time instead.

6/10[/s]

GBA
A Werewolf Tale
Reviewed with No$GBA
This game has a pretty good look. Especially the graphics. The graphics are well done and the effects when you punch an enemy or "jump" are very cool too.
The two main problems I had with this game were:
When you're on the ceiling Left makes you go right and Right makes you go left. That's annoying and confusing at first.
Also, this is a much smaller problem (Almost non-existent). Screen scrolling is not very smooth. Actually it's rather jumpy (It seems like it jumps probably 4 or 8 px at a time instead of smoothly scrolling).

Pros:
  • Neat idea
  • Cool effects
  • The jumping is an interesting idea
  • Graphics look very good

Cons:
  • A little bit jumpy on screen scrolling
  • Controls get confusing when you're on the ceiling

8/10

Holy Hell
I'm gonna be honest. I can't figure out how to get past the first level. I'm gonna wait until I figure this out to write a review.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 06:35:25 PM by 10$man »

Offline genecyst

• NEO newbie
Re: A few game reviews
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 05:48:44 PM »
About Holy Hell, I've notice i'm quite an idiot. I've not erased memory saves before uploading the game.
TO START HOLY HELL FROM THE BEGINNING GO TO OPTION SCREEN AND PRESS:

SELECT + L + R

At this point the game start at the last level completed by me... the last one... The harder level...
Here's how the game should look after memory reset completed with a walktrough for the first 10 levels of holy hell! Hope you enjoy it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJg4D5dbOa0
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 06:07:11 PM by genecyst »

Offline theloon

• NEO newbie
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 09:07:28 PM »
10$man's Reviews
Cyber Willy
Reviewed with Stella

When I first started this game I thought, yes! This really feels like an atari game!
I played for around 5 minutes and the game got rather repetitive. I think it could use more then one type of enemy or something. Also, you have the ability to shoot. As far as I can tell, shooting only gets your score up but in the long run won't help you in the slightest bit. (I think it was intended for this, but it's still a weird choice of a way to get your score up in a survival game were the enemy is invincible).
So, let me break this up into Pros and Cons.
Pros:
  • Authentic. The game feels like an Atari Game
  • Graphics. It looks pretty good as far as Atari goes
  • Sounds. The sounds are ok as well

Cons:
  • Repetitive gameplay. You would expect some of this from a survival game (I made one too, and I'm sure mine is repetitive)
  • Shooting for almost no reason. When you shoot it gives you a higher score, bit I think that would be better achieved through surviving for periods of time instead.

6/10

Thanks for the feedback!  I never thought the life bar at the bottom right hand side was insufficient to indicate the current bosses life.  Nor the GO! insufficient to indicate the current bosses death.  I obviously failed to make the new bosses attributes different enough to indicate they were different from the last boss.

When taken from the perspective of "survive" instead of "defeat the boss" this must seem boring.  I also didn't realise it could be interpreted as a pure survival game.

I can understand why the pros of the game amount to "It's passable as an Atari game" while the cons are "the gameplay itself".  Not being mopey:  I agree!  Honest feedback is good whether positive or negative :)  Thanks for taking the time to play the game and express yourself!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 09:12:09 PM by theloon »

Offline 10$man

• NEO newbie
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 03:17:12 AM »
Thanks for the feedback!  I never thought the life bar at the bottom right hand side was insufficient to indicate the current bosses life.  Nor the GO! insufficient to indicate the current bosses death.  I obviously failed to make the new bosses attributes different enough to indicate they were different from the last boss.

When taken from the perspective of "survive" instead of "defeat the boss" this must seem boring.  I also didn't realise it could be interpreted as a pure survival game.

I can understand why the pros of the game amount to "It's passable as an Atari game" while the cons are "the gameplay itself".  Not being mopey:  I agree!  Honest feedback is good whether positive or negative :)  Thanks for taking the time to play the game and express yourself!
The review was not meant to be negative. If I thought your game was terrible I would have given it a 2/10 ;)
I didn't realize the boss ever changed nor did I notice the health bar. I will try it again with these things in mind.

Offline theloon

• NEO newbie
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 06:27:18 AM »
Negative feedback is silence.  Anything else is usually constructive!  I truly appreciate your review.

Regarding the boss changing and health bar perhaps my instructions were unclear:
Instructions:
 Press fire to shoot boss.  Your HP bar is to the left.  The boss has an HP bar to the right.  Evade the boss mass cannon and fireballs.  When you have depleted the bosses hit points a new round will ensue!  Each round has a new boss with increased attributes including size, speed and movement pattern.  If all your HP is depleted the game will end.  Press fire at game over screen to begin a new game.

If you have any input as to what made the game mechanics unclear please feel free to correct me :)