Author Topic: Reviews for the Wii games  (Read 2111 times)

Offline Mr. Reaper

• Evil Genius/Lazy Bum
Reviews for the Wii games
« on: August 25, 2012, 11:39:26 AM »
Most of the other entries can be played on emulators, so they may be more accessible. I think there's a Wii emulator called Dolphin, but I have no experience with it....

Not everyone may have a Wii, so the Wii entries may not get as much play as some of the others, so I am going to review all the Wii submissions.

Piipe Paniic

One of those pipe-building games where you link together straight pipes and corner pipes to form a complete tube linking the Start and Finish together for water to flow through. Random pipe pieces fall down on the left of the screen (either a straight piece or a corner) and you grab them with the wiimote A button, twist left or right to rotate the piece, and drop it anywhere on the grid. It's actually pretty easy because all you have to do is drop unwanted pieces anywhere on the large grid, and wait for the piece you want to appear. There is a time limit, but it was never a problem for me to stay ahead of it. You get a lot or wrist exercise rotating the pieces, but I like this feature -- it feels right. Though sometimes you may drop a piece incorrectly due to how far you have to rotate your wrist. You can delete a dropped piece by pressing the B button. There are 20 levels in total, and an editor to make your own levels.

I really like the aesthetics of this game. The title screen is nice, and I love the background music. It has a "relaxing lounge" feel to it. The few sound effects are decent too. I also like the look of the menu screen, and how the options rock back and forth when you rest the pointer over them. The "water spill" effect is neat, but you probably won't see it very often, if at all, since, as mentioned before, the game is rather easy. I played through all 20 levels without any problem. It may not be a "challenging" game, but you can just chill out and lay some pipe. I don't see a lot of replay value though, and I'm not really motivated to create my own levels either.

The game could probably be made more challenging by decreasing the time limits significantly, or requiring that each pipe piece MUST be connected to another piece somehow (so you can't just throw pieces away until you get the one you want). You'd have to plan ahead and watch the order of the pipe pieces on the left side of the screen (you can already see the next 7 pieces that are coming).

Pros: Aesthetics, music, wrist exercise, just chill and lay some pipe.

Cons: Little challenge, little replay value, little carpal tunnel, no homebrew channel icon :-P

Digger

Looks to be a port of a remake of a Mr. Do! clone. The graphics are bright and cute (even the font), and the title screen music is fun; it has a nice retro feel to it. Once you start playing though, there's no music and the sound effects are harsh and unpleasant. The movement of the sprites is also choppy/unsmooth. The game plays similar to Mr. Do! with a few variations. You dig around in dirt, collecting gems and avoiding monsters. You can fire a gun once every so often (it automatically reloads after about 7 seconds). You can also tunnel under money bags to make them fall on monsters (or yourself if you're not careful). After several monsters have appeared (you have to keep killing them so more will come), some cherries will appear at the top right. The cherries work like power pellets in Pac-Man, giving you a short time where you can run over the monsters to kill them.

The game seems to save high scores, but it does not let you enter your initials, and instead attributes every score to "NEO."

I suppose the game is "challenging," but not exactly in the kind of way that makes you want to keep playing.... Well, it's a game from 1983, so.... (Buuut, I like Mr. Do! better :-D ).

Pros: Bright, cute, happy graphics! Fun, happy theme song! Nice homebrew channel icon ;-P

Cons: Choppy animation, grating sound effects.... Some games from 1983 are true classics -- just not this one.

And now my completely unbiased reviews of my own submissions:

Harmony's Nightmare

OMG!!!11one!1 THIS IS THE BESTEST EVER GAME I EVER CREATED ON THE WII!!~! AND THERE'S A AWESOME FUNNY STUPID EASTER EGG IF YOU GET KILLED WITHOUT COLLECTING ANY NOETS!!!!!

A++++++++++++++++!

Music Painter

OMG!!!11one!1 THIS IS THE SECOND BESTEST EVER GAME I EVER CREATED ON THE WII BUT ITS NOT REALLY A GAME!!~! YOU JUST CHILL AND DRAW MUSIC ON THE SCREEN UNTIL YOU FEEL HAPPY BUT NOT HAPPY IN THE PANTS BCUZ THAT WOULD BE WEIRD!!!!

A+++++++++++!