Author Topic: MK4 Mini Guide  (Read 11225 times)

Offline Mr.Jibaku

MK4 Mini Guide
« on: August 10, 2006, 08:23:02 AM »
First of all I would like to say this is the first guide I have ever written.  I have had the MK4 for a couple of weeks and I have to say that if the Neo2 is anything as easy to use as the MK4 we are in for a treat.  This guide is for use with the Magic Key 3.  Unfortunatly I do not have the Flash Neo which seems to have higher success.

I used a DS Lite while using this product

MK4-Mini Guide
2.How To Use
Now that I have all the stuff how do I get it to work
3.Playing games
Um, Yea.

First you are going to need a SD card. 
You can pick one of these up well, anywhere.  If they sell electronics they sell these.  Question is what size to buy?  Nintendo DS carts can hold a max of 1gig.  No game at the moment uses a full gig, however if you want to save yourself from buying another card in the future buy a larger size.

Next you need a SD reader.
Found next to the cards this inexpensive device allows you to put game images from your PC directly on to your SD card.

Nintendo DS Roms.
Google, Torrents, or Newsgroups

Next you will need a MK4 Mini
This passme card is nice.  It's about the same size as a DS game and doesn't stick out from the top.  Plus if you own a DS Lite this will solve the copy protection problem without having preform hardware hacks that could paperweight your DS.

Next you need a MK3 or a Flash Neo Cart
I wont get into the Flash Neo Cart, I don't own one.  The MK3 cart is something I have and it works on most games.  The Neo2 cart is comming out (soon?) it is reported to have 100% sucess and might be worth the wait.  I want one.

Finaly you will need a legit Nintendo DS game.
The MK3 needs a legit game to function properly.  I read that Mario 64 DS has problems.  I suggest Big Brain Academy, its 19.99 and it works.

2. How to use

First you need to set the MK4 top switch to the NDS setting.

Select the MK4 as you would any other game and it will boot up.

Now you can press (A) to boot up a MK2/3 or (B) to boot up from the GBA slot.  Press (A)

- Make sure your SD card and your legit game are in the MK 2/3

Now it will tell you to remove the MK4 and put the MK 2/3 into the slot. Do so and press (A)

Now if you have no menu loaded into your MK3 don't worry, it will boot from the MK4 menu which was loaded into the NDS's hardware when you started the cart.

Now you can choose from four menu options: MMC MK3 NDS and NEO

Here are the menu options in detail

MMC:

Here you can select boot or flash your NDS roms.

(A) Boot - Boots the NDS rom directly from the SD card.  While this works on most games it does have a slight load time varying on the game.  Sometimes depending on the rom glitches may occur however for the most part I have found that it works quite well.  Some of the newer games however do not work all.  When Dr.Neo releases the new MK3 menu they should work! (Please release ^_^)

(X) Flash to Neo - Flashes the game to the GBA slot.

(Y) Flashes to MK3 - Flashes the game to the MK3's internal memory, which isn't very big.  However games that do fit work perfect.  The only downside is that it takes a good 8-10 mins to flash the MK3.

MK3:

(A) Browse - Allows you to boot or delete any games that have been flashed to the MK3's memory.

(X) Format - Erases the roms off the MK3

(y) Menu Format - Deletes the menu off the MK3

NEO:

Sorry I dont have a Neo Cart

NDS:

(A) Detects and boots the legit game that is currently in the MK3's slot. Weeeee.

3. Playing Games

When you load up a game it will ask if you want to make a save file the answer is yes.  I wish this was more user friendly, but I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer.  If you don't do this you will have to start from scratch every time you play.  My tip is to save quick and reboot the game to see if actualy saved it.

Thanks for reading!

Thank you to all the Mod's and members of this board, you are all wonderful people.  Answered any and all questions I had.

Thanks,
Mr.Jibaku ::sm-06.gif::

Offline Mr.Jibaku

Re: MK4 Mini Guide
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 08:23:50 AM »
Doh I forgot to spell check.. oh well.

Offline tuckie_d

Re: MK4 Mini Guide
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 12:27:55 AM »
I recently bought the NEOMAX 1g package. Now, I finally found out how to flash the newer menu to the MK3, but since then have had no success playing anything off of the new system! When I boot a Nintendo DS rom, the screen goes white and stays this way until I turn off the system. Will the MK4 mini fix this problem? what exactly does this do? Thanks,    T